Paint.NET v2.70 Released

Paint.NET v2.70

Released: August 2nd, 2006 - Download

This is a small interim release that includes many of the popular effect plugins we have written that users have enjoyed using with Paint.NET v2.6x. We have decided to release this as a ".1" update now so that more users may benefit from these plugins, as opposed to waiting until the final release of v3.0 to include them (which could be awhile).

With this release we have also refreshed Paint.NET's system requirements. We now list 256 MB as the minimum memory required instead of 128 MB. This is in line with what we have seen to be a more reasonable minimum system for using Paint.NET. Also, Windows XP users must now have SP2 installed (SP1 was required before), Windows 2000 users must have SP4 installed (SP3 was required before), and Windows Server 2003 users must have SP1 installed (no SP was required before).

New effect: Glow

New effect: Bulge

New effect: Polar Inversion

New effect: Tile Reflection

New effect: Twist

Source:

http://www.getpaint.net/

Download:

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

This is a super app, and the development behind it is great too! A brilliant replacement for Paint, hopefully it'll be integrated into Windows someday!

This is a super app, and the development behind it is great too! A brilliant replacement for Paint, hopefully it'll be integrated into Windows someday!

Sorry man, that won't be happening :) From the FAQ, http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=489 :

Will Paint.NET ever replace Paint in Windows?

There are no plans to include Paint.NET with Windows.

Honestly it's better that it doesn't get integrated: it let's us keep our own agenda and design for everything.

Honestly it's better that it doesn't get integrated: it let's us keep our own agenda and design for everything.

I agree with you as well. This program is an excellent alternative to Photoshop and has actually made me uninstall Photoshop. Keeping the development like it is is for the better of the program.

I agree with you as well. This program is an excellent alternative to Photoshop and has actually made me uninstall Photoshop. Keeping the development like it is is for the better of the program.

I still have PS handy, though I have to admit that I almost exclusively turn to Paint.net for my picture editing needs. Taking a screenshot? Need to do a quick touch up or cropping of a photo? I can't see any other photo manipulation application being as useful as Paint.net is. Not only that, but I'm a fan of the .Net framework and paint.net really shows how the framework can be used to make everyday apps just like C/C++.

Nicely said. Too bad it took me long enough to give it a try. I am also glad they natively include the 64-bit version of the program to take advantage of XP x64. It opens up amazingly fast.

Plus, the availability of the plugin to support Photoshop files (.psd) gives this program another plus.

The only thing that gets to me about Paint.NET is that when you highlight a picture to crop it and you right-click it, no options show up. Photoshop gives you the option to right click on the image and click crop or cancel, but Paint.NET doesn't. Its not that big of a deal, but it makes cropping much more simple and less work is needed.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am having a hard time with Paint.net. When I try to open it it says there was an error, do I want to send a report. It does the same thing when I have tried to re download it or uninstall it.

I like the program but this is nuts! It s like having some kind of dead thing on the computer.