"9 Days Until Vista RTM!"

Microsoft could be ready to release Windows Vista to manufacturing as early as next week, a milestone that would signify the end of a protracted development process.

It could also set the company on a course to launch the operating system at the huge International Consumer Electronics Show, where Chairman Bill Gates is scheduled to deliver the opening keynote Jan. 7.

"9 Days Until Vista RTM!!!" read a scrolling electronic reader board in a building on Microsoft's Redmond campus Monday. If the countdown is correct, it would mean Microsoft plans to release Vista to manufacturing (RTM) on Oct. 25, earlier than analysts expected.

Seattle

If the countdown is correct, it would mean Microsoft plans to release Vista to manufacturing (RTM) on Oct. 25, earlier than analysts expected.

Um no Microsoft said that it would release on or before Oct 25.

Microsoft could be ready to release Windows Vista to manufacturing as early as next week, a milestone that would signify the end of a protracted development process.

It could also set the company on a course to launch the operating system at the huge International Consumer Electronics Show, where Chairman Bill Gates is scheduled to deliver the opening keynote Jan. 7.

"9 Days Until Vista RTM!!!" read a scrolling electronic reader board in a building on Microsoft's Redmond campus Monday. If the countdown is correct, it would mean Microsoft plans to release Vista to manufacturing (RTM) on Oct. 25, earlier than analysts expected.

Seattle

Don't know what analysts they have been speaking to but 25th October has been a known date for some weeks.

how soon will VLK be available? would they be available as soon as it is released? i have a feeling my work will get one.. we've got VLK on pretty much every microsoft software. i love it.

how soon will VLK be available? would they be available as soon as it is released? i have a feeling my work will get one.. we've got VLK on pretty much every microsoft software. i love it.

must be nice... where i work they just starting upgrading to SP2....

must be nice... where i work they just starting upgrading to SP2....

yeah and in mine there are still windows 2000 and windows 2000 servers not that update its needed but its feeling the age now..

but no pc here support vista or vista capable....

October 25 is only for businesses, right? The consumer/retail versions aren't planned until early 2007, correct?

Oct 25th is when it goes "gold" I believe businesses are getting the VLK versions in November and retail versions are slated in January 07.

You will not love the new VLK/WGA being incorporated with Vista :)

Is it me or is October 25th like Microsoft Day or something. XP RTM date was October 25th.

Not quite. XP shipped on October 25th 2001 but it went RTM long before - around the end of August/early September if I remember rightly. Still slightly odd that XP release and Vista RTM could fall on the same date though :)

Unless you do Tech Support where you work, you won't have access to a key.

Heh, where I work all the VLK's are written in a text file on the server (along with appropriate images).

Well don't plan on taking the Vista VLK home with you, because it won't work. All versions of Vista will require activation, either directly through MS or through a server that reports to MS.