Focus Rectangle Removal Patch

focusrectangle.png

Since Windows 3.11 or even earlier, we had this ugly focus rectangle shown in almost every window, and most annoyingly, on items that are selected and have different signs to tell us they are in focus.

So I've patched USER32.dll to remove that thing.

Notes:

* If you don't know how to avoid Windows File Protection and replace system files, don't uses this patch.

* It is only for Windows XP SP2, the version of the patched USER32.dll is 5.1.2600.2622. If the version on your computer is different, results are unexpected.

* The patched file contains icons from FlyakiteOSX v3.5. Credits to Flyakite for that.

* A universal patch for every Windows version (including Vista) will come soon, and won't require messing with system files.

Enjoy :)

http://www.localhost127.net/user32.zip

Works fine with Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.060411-1541 : Service Pack 2), no problems so far.

Um, I don't understand the part "contains icons from Flyakite pack". I haven't noticed any icons changed. Aren't the icons stored in shell32.dll and not user32.dll?

I replaced the DLL on my box with your patched version & I still get the focus box :( I see the new icons so I know it was replaced...... any ideas?

My original version was USER32.dll is 5.1.2600.2622

Thoughts??

afaik, we can also disable that rectangle by enabling the option "Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation until I press the Alt key." in Desktop Properties :)

Yes dreamz, I used replacer & I did not try to "hack" the .dll after I replaced it

it may be that the hack didn't stick (you'll see this if you hack the dll now).

have you tried hacking it yourself?

afaik, we can also disable that rectangle by enabling the option "Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation until I press the Alt key." in Desktop Properties :)

that doesn't work for everything, which is why people hack user32.dll.

Any chance of getting this without icons/bitmap replacements?

I just reshacked in the original icons from my backup dll. If you'd like to save yourself the trouble, you can get it [here] :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i'm not sure if anyone is making a universal patch. you can always reshack it yourself, though. that might be quicker.
A universal patch for every Windows version (including Vista) will come soon, and won't require messing with system files.

:huh: