Microsoft extends Xbox 360 warranty

Just in time for last-minute holiday shoppers, Microsoft has extended the Xbox 360's warranty from 90 days to one year, bringing it in line with the warranty lengths of rival game consoles from Sony and Nintendo.

The extension is retroactive, meaning that someone who bought an Xbox 360 in the United States or Canada and paid for repairs within the last year is eligible for reimbursement. In many other countries, a one-year warranty already is standard.

"Customer satisfaction is a central focus and priority for the Xbox 360 system," Jeff Bell, a marketing vice president at Microsoft, said in a statement Friday.

Microsoft also said reimbursement checks for repairs done in the last 12 months will be sent out automatically in about 10 weeks. Contact information for warranty questions is available on the Xbox support site.

Microsoft has been the target of an online petition--with 3,382 signatures as of Friday--calling for a retroactive warranty extension to one year. The petition claims that Xbox 360 systems frequently failed after the original 90-day warranty and that customers were unreasonably required to pay between $50 and $129 for repairs.

Nintendo's Wii comes with a standard one-year warranty, with a free 90-day extension if customers register their consoles on the company's Web site. Sony's PlayStation 3 comes with a one-year warranty.

Some credit cards, including American Express and VisaM/news:link>, extend the manufacturer's warranty if a product is bought using that card.

News Source: CNET New.com

I literally bought my XBOX360 yesterday, Dec 21, so I wonder, is my 360 covered for a year or only 90 days? Guess I'll call Microsoft and find out.

The article only mentions warranties being retroactive for past repairs. And seeing as how I just bought it, that doesn't apply to me. So as I said, I want to know if my brand new XBOX360 is covered for a year or 90 days.

It is, it just means now that ur warranty applies from the day you purchased it. Just because you bought it before the date of the extension it doesn't mean it is not going to apply.

Also, it means that anyone who paid to get theirs repaird will get a refund.

That is excellent. I haven't really had any problems with mine. I've heard some weird sounds come from the optical drive b4, but it didn't result in any repair needed.

This is good for MS to do for us. I purchased my 360 in april of this last year...so with my luck it will stop working sometime next June :( .

90 days?

1 year? :wacko:

I have here 2 years warranty

Yeah, I believe 90 days is standard warranty in the US and it's 1 year in the UK. I believe it's 2 years for the rest of Europe. I remember when I bought my PSP in Spain the guy in the shop told me that it had a 2 year warranty.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

1 year minimum (as required by law)

- So you will probably only get 1 year, as most companies like to give you minimum they can get away with (unless you purchased more)