Gran Paradiso Alpha 3 Available for Download

From Mozilla Development Center:

Gran Paradiso Alpha 3 is an early developer milestone for the next generation of Mozilla’s layout engine, Gecko 1.9. Gran Paradiso Alpha 3 is being made available for testing purposes only, and is intended for web application developers and our testing community. Current users of Mozilla Firefox should not use Gran Paradiso Alpha 3. There are no significant user interface changes in Gran Paradiso Alpha 3, however there are many core layout and rendering improvements.

Release Notes: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/3.0a3/releasenotes/

Download: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/3....notes/#download

Edited by Cryton

No Places?! Will they still integrate it in Firefox 3 or did they ditch the feature? Wasn't it even orginally plannned for FF2? It's so much better than the old Bookmark System.

The backend to Places is still being worked upon, and (iirc) will be turned on in alpha 4. The bookmarks front-end will be the same as it currently is, but the backend will be driven by SQLite.

Yeah, as far as I know it was supposed to make it into v2 but was dropped when they ran into problems.

I just wish Firefox 3 would support Foxmarks (right now it throws a JS error when you try to sync), otherwise I'd be using this full time.

The backend to Places is still being worked upon, and (iirc) will be turned on in alpha 4. The bookmarks front-end will be the same as it currently is, but the backend will be driven by SQLite.

Good to know. Looking forward to A4 then.

Well, seems we have APNG.

Would have very much prefered at least some form of MNG (e.g. the VLC profile), but if the PNG guys are fine with APNG, then i don't really have a complaint with it.

Now, to find software that can write them

Well, they fixed a problem with freeing objects, and there will always be small memory leaks, but it's most likely still going to allocate a lot of memory (which in it's self isn't a leak)

^^ Excellent! Thank you. (Y)

Well, isn't this interesting, the APNG (animated PNG) support @The_Decryptor was talking about above, doesn't appear to work in this build like they say.

Check out the spec site, and follow the "samples" link, it takes you to this page: APNG Implementation ...and none of the examples actually work. :laugh:

This build "feels" a heck of a lot quicker (but maybe it's in my imagination).

Edited by officesheep9

Well, the patch only went in 5 days ago, and the spec was updated 3 days ago, and those images are for the current spec, so i'm assuming the code in Alpha 3 is pre-update (since the nightlies apparently show them)

Edit: Actually, it seems odd, images are for 0.9, and the page i'm reading makes it seems Gecko uses 0.10, and 0.10 has some changes in it (so i would assume a older, non-updated patch would actually work better)

And man i do not want to write one of these by hand, probably going to have to though

Is the new engine sans memory leak in yet? That is the one thing I despise about Firefox.

There is the new XPCOM Cycle Collector in alpha 2 and alpha 3, but atm it's leaking more stuff when compared to 2.0. But it's still a work in progress, and there's still bugs open on the issues with patches awaiting review and landing, so things will get better with time. But in the long run, it should be a definite improvement over 2.0

...I don't know my way around the Mozilla FTP site very well, where can I find the Gran Paradiso nightlies? I am currently using the Bon Echo nightlies and I am feeling a bit adventurous :pinch:

Someone needs to write a guide to the Mozilla FTP site. :laugh:

For example, what's the difference between

2007-03-22-05-mozilla1.8.0

2007-03-22-19-mozilla1.9a3

2007-03-24-04-trunk

latest-aviary1.0.1

latest-aviary1.0.1-l10n

(besides the difference in dates, obviously). :unsure: :blink:

I am guessing this is a nightly for Gran Paradiso right? ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...03-24-04-trunk/ ?

Question about OS X version: Have they started using aqua widgets yet? Keychain? Anything?

I think the aqua widgets have been included since Alpha 2, but correct me if I am wrong :unsure:

Woo, now i know your e-mail! :p

I'm trying to compile that sample app for making APNG files, but i had problems with the patch (1. it's for a older version, 12, current is 16, and 1. i missed a character off the command line, god damn that <)

Edit: sample code doesn't work, is for older code apparently

lion-rgb-3frame.png

Windows build has some issues with that image (and the gray scale one)

Edit: fixed in the latest nightly

Edited by The_Decryptor

This is the error Foxmarks throws in Gran Paradiso ...I assume this must be due to the way it handles JS right?

From what I can see on Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer this extension is only compatible up to firefox 2.0.0.*; forcing extensions to work on firefox versions that the author hasn't sanctioned is always risky, and can lead to memory leakage, weird behaviour, crashes, hanging and error messages like you see there :) I have no idea why Foxmarks doesn't work properly on the trunk builds; you'd have to email the author for the lowdown I guess.

:shiftyninja:

I'll be using Bon Echo with aqua widgets until Mozilla gets it right.

Hey... Thanks for showing me Firefoxy. I never knew it existed until now. 2.0.0.3 looks much better now on the Mac. I'll be giving Alpha 3 a try, though.