Zune 2.0 and Flash Zune Details Leaked

April 10 2007 - The chances of a Zune Scene editor running into a Microsoft Zune employee in the wild are pretty slim, but recently the stars were aligned and I got the inside scoop on the Zune 2.0 and also the flash based Zune coming out in 2007. I will attempt to preserve the identity of the Microsoft employee, he had no idea I write for Zune Scene, no idea at all. The whole conversation occurred on a business trip, you see, we Zune Scene editors have day jobs and are hard to spot in the wild also.

When I asked the guy where he worked he said Microsoft. That got my attention so I asked what he did, the answer was: "Zune". He gave his name and title which I will withhold. So I gave him a barrage of questions and here's what I found out:

Zune 2.0 and a smaller flash based Zune will be sold this year. He would not tell me the marketing names but referred to them as the big one and little one. The hard drive version looks like the generation 1 Zune, but is thinner. It has a larger hard drive and still uses the doubleshot. The flash based player he said is about "3 by 1 1/4 by 1/4 inches" in size. It is video capable and he said the screen covers about 75% of the front, similar to the hard drive Zune. The flash player has Wi-Fi and also uses a double shot. We discussed colors, he said there were several but did not disclose them. He had some interesting points about the clamshells saying that they can't be opened easily like the current Zune. Both devices have completed the design phase, although some last minute minor tweaks to the hardware will occur. When I asked about memory capacity he said "you have to beat the competition you know" he also said the flash memory fills the smaller device from top to bottom. Surprisingly he gave some hard numbers: 2.4 million next gen Zunes will be fabricated prior the 2007 holiday season. About 2/3 of them are the smaller flash units. " A new building is currently under construction in Dao Min China, next to the one that makes the XBOX 360" he said. In Zune Scene's opinion, based on that statement, it appears the Zune 2.0 will not be another Toshiba Gigabeat based device.

I also asked about the Zune Phone and he changed the subject and that pretty much ended the conversation unfortunately. So there you have it, the first details of the Zune 2.0 and flash device.

application_go.pngSOURCE

Yeah im thinking of buying a Zune. They look awesome and im sick of hearing about iPod's.

I know this might sound stupid, but you can copy your CD's to it... cant you?

Yeah im thinking of buying a Zune. They look awesome and im sick of hearing about iPod's.

I know this might sound stupid, but you can copy your CD's to it... cant you?

You can copy your CD's using your PC and the right syncing software, but that's no different than any other DAP. I have my entire CD collection on my iPod.

I do like the Zune's UI, the splash of color and customization helps, and considering how much Apple touts their UI, I'm surprised they've still stayed with the boring white and blue Aqua for the iPod. iPods could use a beefier processor too, the UI lag is annoying at times.

It's interesting that this story has surfaced a couple of days after Microsoft has said that they will begin to offer drm free music on zune marketplace in the near future. Seems like an interesting turn of events.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AS AN OFFICIAL RELEASE!

It would be great if this is true, but just as the whole March 20th 1.3 release fiasco, this is not an official release. If this turns out not to be true, don't think Microsoft went back against their word. This is NOT their word. For all we know, it could have been some phony.

Just please please please don't take this as 100% fact.

Though, a flash Zune would be great for lower budgets.

A Nano-sized Zune with video capability? I can't wait to see how Apple will respond to that! :D I'm sure they got something up their sleeve as we speak!

A Nano-sized Zune with video capability? I can't wait to see how Apple will respond to that! :D I'm sure they got something up their sleeve as we speak!

The iPhone already blows the Zune 2.0 and the Flash Zune out of the water.

"Hey, how much for a puny 8gig of storage?"

"$500"

'nuff said.

the iPhone is a PDA that you're not allowed to use without a wireless connection. just get a frickin PDA. its not a competitor with either Zune or iPods

the iPhone is a PDA that you're not allowed to use without a wireless connection. just get a frickin PDA. its not a competitor with either Zune or iPods

that made no sense honestly.. iPhone can in no way be the competetion to a nano sized video capable zune.. i mean come on.. i want an ipod nano that has a screen taking up 75% of the front and plays videos.. not a damn phone that costs 500 bucks.... if apple doesn't respond to the nano sized zune.. they can start thinking about new products at low prices to keep them up cuz the zune will sell more

at first i thought releasing another zune would be too fast, but if you look at the iPod, they have released 10 models in the last 6 years? so it's not all that bad

Well it's a good thing the iPhone isn't competing directly with the Zune then is it. :rolleyes:

The iPhone is a phone with a lot of other capabilities. It's a very expensive one at that. The Zune is an mp3 player, and that's what it's being marketed as. You can't compare the two.

-Spenser

ah well if this is true it suggest that microsoft is in for the long haul with the zune, and when they get all stubborn in an area we all know that they do improve. remember original windows mobile, it was pretty rubbish or the original xbox that wasn't great. im sure it will come out in Europe eventually but only when microsoft judges it good enough to bother. the US is always the testing ground which doesn't bother me.

Semlls like bull**** really - who would meet someone who works on the Zune and then not mention that I worked for a Zune site - I know I wouldn't.

^^^ Woah I dont think I can see that :| :p

Anyway Gizmodo Supposedly have a picture of Zune 2.0....tho I highly doubt it is!!!

post-15395-1176321438.jpg

Looks like a 16:9 screen :o

I already have a Zune 1. To keep up with things, I might sell it and get a Zune 2 or a touch iPod, whichever comes first/looks best.

Well it's a good thing the iPhone isn't competing directly with the Zune then is it. :rolleyes:

The iPhone is a phone with a lot of other capabilities. It's a very expensive one at that. The Zune is an mp3 player, and that's what it's being marketed as. You can't compare the two.

-Spenser

I was waiting for a nonsensical post like his to makes its way into this thread :whistle:

Uh, I believe the iPhone's dimensions resemble more of an iPod Video and not an iPod Nano. So in essence, that, plus the telephone/internet/camera capabilities, renders the comparing of the Nano with the iPhone useless.