How to Get Visula Styles Like These ?

sudo aptitude install beryl
sudo apt-get install art-manager
sudo aptitude install emerald
sudo apt-get install beryl-manager
sudo apt-get install beryl-plugins
sudo apt-get install emerald-themes
sudo apt-get install heliodor

Then go to gnome-look.org and search for themes you want.

Why would you go back and forth between aptitude and apt-get? You can just use one. And you can get them all together too.

sudo apt-get install beryl beryl-manager beryl-plugins art-manager emerald emerald-themes heliodor

Because aptitude handles dependencies better, and therefor would possibly get rid of having to use a few more apt-gets.

sudo aptitude install beryl
sudo apt-get install art-manager
sudo aptitude install emerald
sudo apt-get install beryl-manager
sudo apt-get install beryl-plugins
sudo apt-get install emerald-themes
sudo apt-get install heliodor

Then go to gnome-look.org and search for themes you want.

wait a sec what are these for i m little bit new to ubuntu :D

Menu > Accessories > Terminal

Then type in those commands. Do not use Kreuger's list if you want to avoid a ton more of these.

What's your ubuntu distro? Do you have an ati or nividia video card? The best way it's to go smooth and see this tutorial first. :rolleyes:

You don't need that since that is an EDGY guide. The beryl is only in the ubuntu repos in Feisty Fawn.

Because aptitude handles dependencies better, and therefor would possibly get rid of having to use a few more apt-gets.

Oh my... Aptitude is a front-end to apt-get. It IS the same program, just like synaptic is a GUI front-end to apt-get, aptitude is an ncurses based front end. It will do exactly the same thing, one doesn't handle dependencies any better than the other. And the command Kreuger gave does the exact same thing and won't screw up anything, it's just a lot easier.

Oh my... Aptitude is a front-end to apt-get. It IS the same program, just like synaptic is a GUI front-end to apt-get, aptitude is an ncurses based front end. It will do exactly the same thing, one doesn't handle dependencies any better than the other. And the command Kreuger gave does the exact same thing and won't screw up anything, it's just a lot easier.

X2

Install beryl as noted above, plenty of vista themes on gnome-look, when you install beryl go to the settings manager> visual affects> blur I believe to enable the blur.

What about adept and aptitude? I'm asking because aptitude do much better IMO, e.g. aptitude seems to suggest me remove those packages I don't want anymore, and it complies with the dependency stricter, say kile will bring you the tetex, but I only use texlive and they conflict, so I worked around by installing kile in adept.

What about adept and aptitude? I'm asking because aptitude do much better IMO, e.g. aptitude seems to suggest me remove those packages I don't want anymore, and it complies with the dependency stricter, say kile will bring you the tetex, but I only use texlive and they conflict, so I worked around by installing kile in adept.

From the apt-get man page.

autoremove

autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically

installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and that are no

more needed.

So, if you want to get rid of unnecessary packages:

sudo apt-get autoremove

If autoremove doesn't see that it's unneeded, you could probably still do an "apt-get remove *package name*" and it will remove it for you.

Lesson learned: Always read your man pages. :cool:

I see. Thanks. But my question is about comparison between different implementation of apt-get. Does adept have this autoremove function, and how about synaptic? Apt-get isn't as user friendly as the rest.