TorrentSpy Ordered By Judge to Become MPAA Spy

TorrentSpy, one of the world?s largest torrent dump sites, has been ordered by a federal judge to monitor its users iorder to create detailed logs of their activities which must then be handed over to the MPAAb>.

On May 29, TorrentSpy - one of the web?s most famous .torrent dump sites was told by federal judge Jacqueline Chooljian in the Central District of California that despite the site?s privacy policy which states they will never monitor their visitors without consent, they must start creating logs detailing their user?s activities.

Understandably, this is a worrying move by the court - even more so when one considers these logs must then be turned over to the MPAA. This is believed to be the first time a judge has ordered a defendant to log visitor activity and then hand over the information to the plaintiff. The decision - arrived at last month but under seal - could force sites that are defendants in a law suit to track the actions of their visitors.

The owners have been granted a stay of the order in order to make an appeal, which must be filed by June 12, says Ira Rothken, TorrentSpy?s attorney.

“It is likely that TorrentSpy would turn off access to the U.S. before tracking its users,” said Rothken. “If this order were allowed to stand, it would mean that Web sites can be required by discovery judges to track what their users do even if their privacy policy says otherwise.”

http://torrentfreak.com/torrentspy-ordered...lf-of-the-mpaa/

Haha, so owned.

This should teach you folks not to pirate again...

look at his username also.

good for the judge, good for real BT pirates.

no one really uses torrentspy anyways, except for the newbies.

Yeah, well **** the MPAA! Torrentspy was good while it lasted!

There are better sites but TS was nice to have around when needed. A chain reaction is NOT what we need. That would SO suck!

But oh well. Hope that Judge has a nice day! (followed by a heart attack!!!!)

I can't believe you people are getting ****y over someone trying to stop piracy. Who the hell cares what the MPAA does? It's still their products and people are still breaking the law by downloading instead of properly purchasing them.

I havnt been near Torrentspy in along long time! Private Trackers FTW :p

Where can I find these Private Trackers? :p

Seriously the MPAA, RIAA can go to hell. Anyone of you who think otherwise can fizzle out with the MPAA and RIAA and meet your doom. Theres nothing I hate more than a bunch of hypocrites who act as if they've never pirated anything in their entire lives or never will just to cover their asses satisfying their e-penis and ego. Everyone that uses a Computer has at least downloaded something that is copyrighted at least once in their lives even if on purpose or unknowingly, unless your an old fart who doesn't care about this and only is interested in seeing the latest newscast, and even then I seriously have my doubts.

If I were torrentspy, I'd just say **** the US and and the judge, and move the servers to another country where this doesn't apply. In fact I'm even so sick of living in this country I'm planning to move to another country as soon as I get the funds to do so.

As long as the content isn't stored on the server and just the torrents, they have no quarrel or right to impede on or impose this against torrentspy. I mean the torrents can contain anything once downloaded. Just because it contains the name of hollywood movie or song, it doesn't mean it is. It could be a virus, or it could be something completely different. I doubt they have someone working 24 hour shifts, everyday or week to download every file that may reference a hollywood movie or song, extract it if compressed, and play it just to see if it's an actual movie.

I seriously hope Torrentspy doesn't comply with this, sticks their tongues out at the MPAA and RIAA and moves their site/database off shores in another country.

All Torrentspy can prove is that you downloaded the .torrent file. Otherwise, you can deny ever downloading the data.

torrentspy always sucked

I stopped using them after they prevented searches of common Microsoft terms, like WINDOWS, or VISTA.

BTJunkie and ISOhunt are the ways to go...and maybe mininova :).

I stopped using them after they prevented searches of common Microsoft terms, like WINDOWS, or VISTA.

BTJunkie and ISOhunt are the ways to go...and maybe mininova :).

Torrent Harvester :)

:laugh: @ public torrent tracker users :p

Huh? Do they even use TorrentSpy much? I thought most were on TPB... And even if not, there are still so many alternatives that I don't see how this would even matter.