Windows update disables patched theme files

Windows installed 12 new updates on my computer, I was using the medium size taskbar theme and i patched my dll files with vistaglazz, i reboot to see the windows classic theme. I tried to go into the themes and re select the medium taskbar theme and it says Error cant apply theme. I checked with vistaglazz and it says my files are still patched but at this moment no custom themes work.

vista business 32bit.

anyone else getting this?

I'm guessing VistaGlazz needs to be updated, or something along those lines. Or perhaps it just sees the backups of the old files and thinks your files are already patched.

I noticed this too ... when I rebooted I was using Classic and not Aero. But then again ... I was trying to find a way to get back to the default Aero so this fixed it for me. :p

+1, guess we have to stick with the default Vista theme for now.

yep using 32 business & it failed to patch if i could pin point which update caused it i know it is 1 of 2 that did it

Unfortunatly Im a bit short on time at the moment, but i'll try to reproduce the problem myself at the end of this week.

If anyone knows which update is causing the problem, please let me know. We might be able to release a small update, before releasing VistaGlazz 2.0.

Here is the Quickfix uninstall the Update 933928 and patch/replace the files again.

yep KB933928 is the cause that made the theme patch not work

To return to the normalcy:

1) uninstall kb933928 and restart;

2) apply AERO theme and restart;

3) apply your own theme and enjoy! :D

Windows installed 12 new updates on my computer, I was using the medium size taskbar theme and i patched my dll files with vistaglazz, i reboot to see the windows classic theme. I tried to go into the themes and re select the medium taskbar theme and it says Error cant apply theme. I checked with vistaglazz and it says my files are still patched but at this moment no custom themes work.

vista business 32bit.

anyone else getting this?

EXACT same thing happened to me!

Microsoft strikes again! I'm glad I went back to the non-hassle XP.

Troll-la-la-la-la. XP is no different if you've ever applied the uxtheme.dll patch or XPize and have run updates that overwrite your patched files.

To return to the normalcy:

1) uninstall kb933928 and restart;

2) apply AERO theme and restart;

3) apply your own theme and enjoy! :D

Uninstalling updates MS deems important just to enjoy theme files that aren't properly built in the first place is pretty foolish.