Xbox Linux Award deadline reached

In an effort to speed up the work needed to bring Linux to the Microsoft Xbox, an anonymous donor offered two prizes (part A and part B) of $100,000 each last year.

Both before and after the prize was announced many people from around the world were working hard. The free OS Linux has been successfully brought to the Microsoft device, and its users are now able to choose from a huge selection of free Linux applications. These include Home Entertainment, Internet and Office programs. Xbox Linux is available to anyone as a free download from http://xbox-linux.sf.net

The deadline for the prizes has arrived.

* Part A involved running Linux on the box, and this has been successfully completed.

* Part B involved running Linux on an Xbox with no hardware modifications, which has not been acheived yet.

The donor can now be revealed as Michael Robertson, who is the man behind the Lindows OS - which you may have heard recently had some conflict with Microsoft. We are grateful for his contribution in speeding up the goals of the whole group.

Distribution of the monies to several hackers for part A is expected to be completed by the end of January.

Michael Robertson has decided to extend the deadline for part B for another year. We are already preparing new open analysis tools. Any experienced hacker is welcome to join the effort. The updated rules for this extended part will also be available on the Xbox Linux website at the end of January.

Source: Home Page

Ok, this is cool. But one thing:

Can I get some of the money AHEAD of time so I can get an X-Box?

No, seriously though, this is going to be sweet. I'm thinking about getting an X-Box just so I can say I run Linux on a M$ product. Hehehe.

Ok, this is cool. But one thing:

Can I get some of the money AHEAD of time so I can get an X-Box?

No, seriously though, this is going to be sweet. I'm thinking about getting an X-Box just so I can say I run Linux on a M$ product. Hehehe.

Same here, I can use it as a webserver, and show MS that free is good :p

If only you didn't have to chip the box to get it to run...that means no Xbox Live! that doesn't sound like too fun to me...but say you've got one already and have the money to waste on another to try that sorta thing with, I'd give it a shot too.

Just to let you know, this was posted on Gamers News a couple days ago. But still interesting news non-the-less ;)