Illinois Department of Revenue makes big fuss

DECATUR - David and Eileen Wetzel don't get going in the morning quite as early as they used to.

So David Wetzel, 79, was surprised to hear a knock on the door at their eastside home while he was still getting dressed.

Two men in suits were standing on his porch.

"They showed me their badges and said they were from the Illinois Department of Revenue," Wetzel said. "I said, 'Come in.' Maybe I shouldn't have."

Gary May introduced himself as a special agent. The other man, John Egan, was introduced as his colleague. May gave the Wetzels his card, stating that he is the senior agent in the bureau of criminal investigations.

"I was afraid," Eileen Wetzel said. "I came out of the bathroom. I thought: Good God, we paid our taxes. The check didn't bounce."

The agents informed the Wetzels that they were interested in their car, a 1986 Volkswagen Golf, that David Wetzel converted to run primarily from vegetable oil but also partly on diesel.

Wetzel uses recycled vegetable oil, which he picks up weekly from an organization that uses it for frying food at its dining facility.

"They told me I am required to have a license and am obligated to pay a motor fuel tax," David Wetzel recalled. "Mr. May also told me the tax would be retroactive."

Continued @ Source:

http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2007...ews/1021491.txt

Since when should anyone have to pay tax on a fuel that they make themselves? If you want a prime example of typical-governmental-bull****, here it is.

What a bunch of crap. The only reason I can think that they could justify this is because he's driving on the state's roads... Then bicycles come to mind and I wonder why, if under the same assumption, bicyclists are not taxed? Then I come to the conclusion that the Illinois Department of Revenue can go **** itself.

What a bunch of crap. The only reason I can think that they could justify this is because he's driving on the state's roads... Then bicycles come to mind and I wonder why, if under the same assumption, bicyclists are not taxed? Then I come to the conclusion that the Illinois Department of Revenue can go **** itself.

In the UK we have a road tax which (theoretically) pays for road maintenance, etc. So unless the USA doesn't have a separate road tax (the money comes from fuel tax or something) then this wouldn't be the reason.

It sounds quite stupid to me. The guy has created a better car, yet he is being penalised for it. :-/

Hmm...there were a few big stories the other day here in SE Wisconsin about making biodesiel fuels and being able to diy in a not too difficult way. I wonder if we'll be seeing quick legislature on making taxes for it... :rolleyes:

-Spenser

"They told me I am required to have a license and am obligated to pay a motor fuel tax," David Wetzel recalled.

If he was selling it (like any gas station) then perhaps their argument might have merit. Since it is personal for personal use only, "Get off my property or I'll shoot you" springs to mind...

"Mr. May also told me the tax would be retroactive."

"Oh yeah? Sue me for it. Good luck in proving how long I've been using it for calculating backdated tax."