Beta version of Acronis True Image 11 Home released

yeah, man. pepsi does rule.

I wondered what you were on about for a moment there :p

Thanks for the heads up - although, you may want to remove your password from the post :)

interesting that theres a beta version out when while they obvisouly need people to beta test it to find the bugs its probably the one piece of software i'd not want to beta test.

Nothing against acronis, they make good software its just the nature of this software that makes me for one want to stay away from betas since after all the idea of that software is to recover your system if for some reason its gets screwed up

Considering a bug in it could cause it to make a corrupted image that its then impossible to restore.

How exactly does this program work? It makes a back-up of all your files? I have a 250 gb drive with 12 gigs free. It can back up all of that to one image file, which I assume is .iso? How big would that file be? If I wanted to install Windows Vista, I could back-up my entire drive to an image file and install it and see if I like it, but if I don't I could then format Vista and use the image file to get back my whole system with XP on it? If that's true, that's pretty awesome. Obviously I wouldn't use this particular beta version to do this if it is possible. I would use a more stable version.

How exactly does this program work?

It takes an exact copy of a partition and backs it up to an image file.

If I wanted to install Windows Vista, I could back-up my entire drive to an image file and install it and see if I like it, but if I don't I could then format Vista and use the image file to get back my whole system with XP on it?

Yep! And XP wouldn't even know it had been 'missing' for a few days (or however long you try Vista for). It would be the same as if you had just not used your computer for that long.

It comes in very handy for trying new drivers and software. Just make a backup, then install the drivers and/or software. If you don't like them, or they cause system problems, just restore the image. Much easier and cleaner than uninstalling.

You can backup your windows partition whilst in Windows, but to be honest, I prefer to do it from the boot CD.

Steve.

everytime I used that program to make and image of my drive it always says the image is ok, until I go to use it then its always currupt