Feedback Appreciated

Question

Hi All,

I've been briefly working on a project so far, and I'd like to get some feedback on it.

It is a file uploading web application that will be free and downloadable, so that it can be run on your own server. It will basically allow you to upload anything you want to your server, and present it in a pleasant graphical user interface, so that you can download it, preview it, get information on it, and share it with others. It will include the ability to 'invite others' to view your gallery, giving them a user name and password to log in with.

Example scenarios:

1) If you are away from home and want to show others some photos of a vacation or holiday, you could log in, and allow them to see them, as well as download them to their own computer for later viewing.

2) If you've got some work you want to do but don't have your computer with you, you'll be able to download the files, work on them, then re-upload them to work on later.

3) Instead of sending attachments with emails, you could send direct links to the images in your email message, for viewing by the recipient.

I've attached a screenshot, and would love to hear what you guys think of this concept. :) Both positive and negative criticism is welcome. :D

Thanks in advance,

Smctainsh

Latest Update: Go to this post in this thread to find out the latest progress on this project. I'd love to know what you guys think of the changes made. :) To try it, go here and log in using the user name and password 'demo'.

post-78416-1192587701_thumb.png

Edited by smctainsh

neat idea, but those who own servers, usually know what to do with them, ie, web design :p

but it's a good idea for those who don't know anything about coding. I'd like to see a fully working model

neat idea, but those who own servers, usually know what to do with them, ie, web design :p

but it's a good idea for those who don't know anything about coding. I'd like to see a fully working model

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping to get a working model finished within the next week or so. :)

Don't see the point about the email thing it's a load of ****ing about

I can see where you are coming from. :) I'll keep working on it and investigate ways to make it much easier. :D Thanks for the feedback. :)

Again, thanks so much guys! :D Any more feedback?

Smctainsh

Awesome sounds good :) i'm currently in the military and we have all those kind of sites blocked (Personal Storage and Backup >.>) so this would be really handy to share photos etc. with my familly and friends!

Awesome sounds good :) i'm currently in the military and we have all those kind of sites blocked (Personal Storage and Backup >.>) so this would be really handy to share photos etc. with my familly and friends!

I second that!

I second that!

Awesome! I'll keep working on getting a test version ready within the next few days! :) That sounds like a fantastic use for it. :D

Thanks for the feedback. :D

Smctainsh

well, there are people who might know how to do it but either don't have the interest or don't have the time to actually code and maintain one themselves. and projects like this come in handy. I'll be looking forward to testing the app a bit myself.

well, there are people who might know how to do it but either don't have the interest or don't have the time to actually code and maintain one themselves. and projects like this come in handy. I'll be looking forward to testing the app a bit myself.

Thanks for the feedback. :) I'll be sure to keep everyone informed as to when they can start testing it. :)

Looks quite promising Smctainsh, I'm sure you can fill a niche in the market! Good luck :)

Thank you very much for the feedback! :D

Smctainsh

looks a bit like the dotnetnuke repository module.

looks interesting though.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. :D

Smctainsh

Here is a very early release of the script; it is basically a chance for you guys to try it out and comment on functionality, design - well, anything really! :D To log in, use the user name 'demo' and password 'demo'. :) You can log in here.

Here is what's working so far:

1) The 'share selected files' function

2) The 'upload files' function

3) The 'about' function

The other parts aren't working yet. :)

I'd love to know what you guys think of it.

Thanks in advance,

Smctainsh

Awesome just had a small gander, and it's pretty cool ;-)! Easy to use etc.

It would be cool if:

1) Could create directories and upload files into there (for a bit more structure... kind of like photo galleries)

2) An option to view images in a certain dir (in the form of a gallery, with next and previous)

3) FLV / Audio flash streaming player?

4) Ability to edit descriptions

That's all I can really think of - but that's pretty awesome!! :D

Awesome just had a small gander, and it's pretty cool ;-)! Easy to use etc.

It would be cool if:

1) Could create directories and upload files into there (for a bit more structure... kind of like photo galleries)

2) An option to view images in a certain dir (in the form of a gallery, with next and previous)

3) FLV / Audio flash streaming player?

4) Ability to edit descriptions

That's all I can really think of - but that's pretty awesome!! :D

Cool, thanks for the feedback. :D All of the suggestions you made sound fantastic; I'll definitely work on adding those features, and post in this thread when the next version is ready. :)

Smctainsh

thumbnails on the index for images, icons for everything else. maybe have extensions displayed somewhere. we need to be able to tell at a glance what type of file an entry is.

Also, could you try to circumvent the http upload limit? maybe have a java-based upload applet that could be used when the file is relatively large. This isnt as important as the other stuff you're working on right now, so you could maybe come back to this after the 1.0 release? Just a thought.

Looks good so far.

the main thing i would be worried about is security, as i would guess the main target of this woudl be the more newbie type server owner, who isn't quite a guru on securing their server, how is that handled?

thumbnails on the index for images, icons for everything else. maybe have extensions displayed somewhere. we need to be able to tell at a glance what type of file an entry is.

Also, could you try to circumvent the http upload limit? maybe have a java-based upload applet that could be used when the file is relatively large. This isnt as important as the other stuff you're working on right now, so you could maybe come back to this after the 1.0 release? Just a thought.

Looks good so far.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I think that the ability to circumvent the upload limit would be a pretty good idea, especially if people have massive sets of photos to upload. :) I'll work on what you've suggested.

Another quick idea, upload files in a .zip and have them extract on upload? Multiple uploads? etc. :) maybe a status bar when uploading as well?

Awesome, great idea! :) I'll look into it.

the main thing i would be worried about is security, as i would guess the main target of this woudl be the more newbie type server owner, who isn't quite a guru on securing their server, how is that handled?

Thanks for the feedback. I know exactly where you are coming from; security is going to be a very important factor to take into consideration in this. Passwords, et cetera will be encrypted, and I will run scenarios to test the security of the web application (I'll most likely ask on here for you guys to test it! :)).

The layout is broken in IE6, you should look into that.

Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely look into it. :)

Smctainsh

Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely look into it. :)

Smctainsh

If I may suggest, do the browser compat checks after you're done the project. work with your favourite standards compliant browser for the time being to avoid introducing unnecessary complexity at this stage.

If I may suggest, do the browser compat checks after you're done the project. work with your favourite standards compliant browser for the time being to avoid introducing unnecessary complexity at this stage.

A very good suggestion. :) I'm testing it all in Firefox at the moment, and once all the testing is finished, I'll get onto the browser compatibility checks. :D Thanks.

To keep everyone in the loop as to what is happening with it; I've updated it, and you can check it out at the same link as before. Link

I'm planning to create a folder structure next. :)

Improvements this time around:

1) Improved notifications at initial loading

2) Image previews

3) Re-wording of some parts for ease of use

4) Options window added

I'd love to know what you guys think of this update. :D

Smctainsh

I've updated Transit to include several more features, including:

1) A folder structure; at the moment, the folders are only based around the main folder though.

2) A link to the main folder.

3) Multiple files can be moved to another folder by clicking on them and selecting 'Move to Folder'.

I'd love to know what you guys think of it. Also, I've updated the Transit logo and interface to look a lot brighter than it was before.

Link

Thanks in advance,

Smctainsh

I just had a go and I really like it, could be a great service when its in final!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! :) I'm hoping to get it finished soon.

Smctainsh