Need for Speed Pro Street - PC Demo

Another NFS? I got bored of this game at Hot Pursuit 2

oh well

SOmething else I find funny

solid proof that XP is better then vista!!! :p

I remember seeing the very same comment about XP and 2000. Was it like 256 vs. 512. Get over it.

+1 to the veering to the left comment.

I too am disappointed in this game. The car controls feel muddy and unresponsive, the damage modeling is a bit retarded, and the game engine is really, really inefficient. (It's even worse than Crysis.)

Thanks for the links.

I'll try this demo with lower expectations. I still remember clearly how disappointed I was in the Carbon demo when it came out (and I still am - that demo was CRAP compared to the full game).

OK. That demo was really short. Typical EA.

Anyways, the game itself isn't too bad. Control-wise, in Most Wanted it had good steering control using the arrow keys if you adjusted the turning speed via the in-game performance menu. Carbon's steering was ****-poor. The handling of the demo car in Prostreet is somewhere in-between those two. Performance wise, it's yet another iteration of the game engine first used in Most Wanted, but with even sharper textures and motion blur turned off. That being said, it runs a bit slower than Carbon, but not by much. (Carbon's absolutely poor motion blur killed its demo's performance.)

If you play in the easiest mode it has these acceleration/braking arrows that are almost identical to the ones in Forza Motorsport 2.

Here's a screenshot. This is what happens when you drive in reverse and run head onto the racers :D (I'll whip up a shot of a non-damaged car in a sec)

nfsprostreettotaledhf6.th.png

Here's screenshots from NFSC and NFS:MW just for comparison purposes. Keep in mind that I disabled AA in Prostreet and will probably keep it disabled unless EA or Nvidia do some optimizations.

nfsc2006110515403359io9.th.png speed2006083116440007br3.th.png

OK. That demo was really short. Typical EA.

Anyways, the game itself isn't too bad. Control-wise, in Most Wanted it had good steering control using the arrow keys if you adjusted the turning speed via the in-game performance menu. Carbon's steering was ****-poor. The handling of the demo car in Prostreet is somewhere in-between those two. Performance wise, it's yet another iteration of the game engine first used in Most Wanted, but with even sharper textures and motion blur turned off. That being said, it runs a bit slower than Carbon, but not by much. (Carbon's absolutely poor motion blur killed its demo's performance.)

If you play in the easiest mode it has these acceleration/braking arrows that are almost identical to the ones in Forza Motorsport 2.

Here's a screenshot. This is what happens when you drive in reverse and run head onto the racers :D (I'll whip up a shot of a non-damaged car in a sec)

nfsprostreettotaledhf6.th.png

Here's screenshots from NFSC and NFS:MW just for comparison purposes. Keep in mind that I disabled AA in Prostreet and will probably keep it disabled unless EA or Nvidia do some optimizations.

nfsc2006110515403359io9.th.png speed2006083116440007br3.th.png

haha thanks dude looks sweet driving the wrong way can't wait :D

I've downloaded the demo for the 360, I have to say I'm not really that impressed with it and as a result I may not even bother buying it when it releases (which is saying alot, as I'm a dedicated NFS fan and I've really enjoyed the previous iterations of the game) While the graphics are very good and the new damage system is equally as impressive and it has some great cars...it just doesn't feel right..I dunno maybe in time I'll appreciate it more, but as it stands I won't be rushing out to get it. Perhaps once it is cheaper I might grab a copy to add to my collection (as I'm still a NFS fan after all) but we will see. That is my 2 cents.

^^ No prob. :)

More screenshots:

nfsdemo2007110302154182pe6.th.png

Before every race you see these scenes.

nfsdemo2007110302165984ru9.th.png nfsdemo2007110302185692qk8.th.png nfsdemo2007110302243650fq5.th.png nfsdemo2007110302252912nn6.th.png

Actually I was wrong. There's a small amount of motion blur - less than NFS:MW (whose motion blur I found ideal), and far less than the over-the-top blur in NFSC.

nfsdemo2007110302200728pz1.th.png nfsdemo2007110302254845id1.th.png

Proof that I suck. :p The second shot was right after I ran head onto the finish line marker on the final lap :argh:

I've downloaded the demo for the 360, I have to say I'm not really that impressed with it and as a result I may not even bother buying it when it releases (which is saying alot, as I'm a dedicated NFS fan and I've really enjoyed the previous iterations of the game) While the graphics are very good and the new damage system is equally as impressive and it has some great cars...it just doesn't feel right..I dunno maybe in time I'll appreciate it more, but as it stands I won't be rushing out to get it. Perhaps once it is cheaper I might grab a copy to add to my collection (as I'm still a NFS fan after all) but we will see. That is my 2 cents.

I felt the same way for Carbon. I initially dismissed it as a step backwards from Most Wanted. After a few months I got used to the game. On the other hand, I was impressed with Most Wanted a short while after playing the demo for the first time.

Also the FPS during those races was capped at max of 20 FPS with a few dips into the <10 FPS range. This game looks graphically worse than UT3 yet runs poorer? Yeah, that's EA: can't optimize for crap and they create games that have silly Visual C++ runtime errors.

rm20010, can you give me your computer description?

Check here.

I ran this in XP with the XG Forceware 163.76 set.

Ah, thanks for the heads up! Currently downloading it right now though it will be some time before it is finish, likely 6 hours from now. The game will be released on the 14th of November, correct? I remember it was delayed from October 31st to another date.

Scirwode

Great can't wait, downloading now. I have been waiting for this game in anticipation. I am so tired of FPS's, css, bf2, bioshock etc and now finally a different style of game! Was playing Juiced 2 demo and now this! After watching Initial D all I want to do is drift in nice Japanese cars :D I am pretty sure I will like this game, there is even a damage model. Will post impressions later.

Thanks, think it'll do good on my pc, I wonder how it will do on my laptop, since it has GMA 950. Has anyone tried it on it yet?

:blink: Carbon and NFSMW struggle a fair bit on my laptop's GeForce 7400 Go. I can't imagine how it'll work on a GMA 950...

When I load the setup and select a download location, the whole thing locks up on me and I'm forced to pull the plug. I tried redownloading but it still doesnt work. Anyone have any ideas as to why?

just downloaded this myself, and the deadzone bug/thing is really annoying, i totaled 3 times on the top speed track as i kept on over comensating for the deadzone,

Car damage is good, music is bad (same as always), does anyone know if it will have police in the full version, as thats why i play Most Wanted alot

thankx

... oh god. the minimum specs for this game require a 500 dollar upgrade for me.

looks like im waiting till christmas, in teh meantime, maybe agent_9000 will let me use his computer =P

looks awesome! wonder if the controller bug is with racing wheels too?

Car damage is good, music is bad (same as always), does anyone know if it will have police in the full version, as thats why i play Most Wanted alot

thankx

It's legal racing this time, so no cops..

I've just finish playing the demo and my feelings are a bit mixed to tell you the truth. First the positives:

• The damage model is really impressive I'll have to admit. It goes back to the days when I was playing NFS:High Stakes and NFS:Porsche. I really enjoyed watching the damage piling up when I made a mistake.
  • The graphics are a little bit better than on NFS:Carbon. Not to say it's an improvement but certainly looks nicer, especially the road surface.
  • Finally widescreen mode is supported in NFS:Pro Street!
  • I'm quite liking that it's now closed circuit instead of the open air races that's prevalent in the previous NFS games.
  • When the car is damage, it's harder to control, so thumbs up for that.
  • More graphic options available to the user.
  • Mapping the "Look Back" key is now back in NFS:Pro Street.

The negatives:

• Is it just me, or am I controlling a four wheel behemoth of a truck? For one thing, the car keeps swerving to the left and I have to constantly grapple with the keypad to get it under control. Another thing was that the steering wheel is harder to turn, especially in casual mode. With King mode where you have all the control, there is little to no problem at all. Also, with the BMW, it seems it doesn't understand braking that much in Casual mode as I keep crashing into telegraph poles or making somersaults in the air. Again, King mode gives that control back to me.
  • Why isn't there a graph that shows how much damage I have, which NFS:High Stakes and NFS:Porsche had? At least I know how much damage I've taken so I know what to compromise. All it says here is "Little Damage" and "Heavy Damage". Yes, I know it's damage, just freaking tell me where! Instead, all I got was a glowing red dash light telling me... nothing I don't know about.
  • Norse is now limited and requires only one press. In a way it is a bit of a downer but I guess they wanted realism this time.
  • Not that many races in this demo, which is typical of EA.
  • Can I kill the announcer, for being simply annoying? I tell you, I cringe every time he says something that's completely worthless.
  • The game is not that beautiful, but this is just me being picky due to my GeForce Go 7400 not cutting it :p ! I might have to overclock it to get the desired settings but I wished I could just turn the sliders up! When is Asus going to release their External Graphic Card for notebooks? At least I can then get an 8800GTS and stick it in there :laugh: !

Scirwode

Edited by Scirwode

Demo sucked beyond believe. Pretty much because of the controls. And don't tell me that I need a wheel to play this pos. EA ruined NFS franchise long ago. Although it did seem as if Carbon was a step into the right direction, but alas. They just keep going back to the stupid street racing scene with fancy-shmancy cars.. eew. Bring back the Hot Pursuit 2 era. Plain cars with great tracks and cops.

Does it support Widescreen resolutions yet? (16:10 1680x1050 specifically). I dunno why EA has some vendetta against my rez but quite a few of there games do not have a resolution setting for my monitor and its annoying to keep having to hack all there games usually with stretched out huds..