New compact camera required (

Hi guys, I'm looking for a compact camera ideally between ?100-?200 good enough for snapping pictures while I'm out.

These features are essential:

- Image stabilisation

- At least 3x optical zoom

- At least 7 megapixel

Ideally the higher the image quality, the better.

The only camera that stands out so far is the Sony CyberShot DSC-T70, but I can't find any good sample pictures to assess the image quality.

Canon, Panasonic are better choices than the Sony.

Why are Canon and Panasonic better choices, except for simply not being made by Sony?

I ask because there are a lot of anti-Sony people here.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 is on my shortlist, but (for me) the 10x zoom doesn't make up for the cost, size and weight.

Are there any Canon or Panasonic cameras you can recommend?

Thanks, but the 75 has no image stabilization. However I'm currently checking out the rest of the IXUS range.

Well my interest in the 860 IS has suffered a blow after finding numerous reports that the wide angle lens is severely affected by barrel distortion in photographs. :(

Will it be possible to change the lens from 28mm to 35mm except when a wider shot is needed? Will this get rid of the distortion?

If this can't be fixed I may end up getting the 950 IS after all.

Well my interest in the 860 IS has suffered a blow after finding numerous reports that the wide angle lens is severely affected by barrel distortion in photographs. :(

Will it be possible to change the lens from 28mm to 35mm except when a wider shot is needed? Will this get rid of the distortion?

If this can't be fixed I may end up getting the 950 IS after all.

You arse! I so wanted this camera. No i might not get it! Seeing some of the "real life" samples of the 860is it looks really bad.

:( i may just cry.

You arse! I so wanted this camera. No i might not get it! Seeing some of the "real life" samples of the 860is it looks really bad.

:( i may just cry.

I know, it's tragic because the 860IS looks so sleek.

Perhaps the barrel distortion goes away if you change the focal length to match the 950IS's?

And don't forget - the 950IS is still a top notch camera.

I've found the UXIS 950 IS for the almost unbelievable price of ?166.99 - almost too good to be true!

Has anyone purchased from OneStop Digital before? Are they reputable? Would you purchase from this site?

only thing i could find

Navigation is a little clunky but they do have most things if you look hard enough. http://www.onestop-digital.com/ Hong Kong store that sell to the UK at discount prices.

They guarantee no VAT (import tax).

If you get taxed you can send them the reciept and they'll refund you (I've done this and it's true, they refunded me within a week).

Prices are the cheapest you'll get bar eBay at the time of writing but this is less risky than eBay.

Delivery times are good, typically one week.

As a word of warning I'd recommend sticking to lenses and accessories and advise against buying camera bodies from abroad due to warranty issues.

I think i'd pay the extra getting it from somewhere i trust and get a uk warranty.

I think i'd pay the extra getting it from somewhere i trust and get a uk warranty.

Yes, the warranty is important and something I overlooked.

Plus, Amazon may drop the price in January in which case I can get a refund (thanks to Amazon UK's 30 day price drop policy).

Thanks for everyone's help, I will order the 950IS when I get home tonight.

illmonkey, have you decided what you are going to do about that 860IS you had your heart set on?

Yes, the warranty is important and something I overlooked.

Plus, Amazon may drop the price in January in which case I can get a refund (thanks to Amazon UK's 30 day price drop policy).

Thanks for everyone's help, I will order the 950IS when I get home tonight.

illmonkey, have you decided what you are going to do about that 860IS you had your heart set on?

Yea, I've heard about the price promise. Its a gooden. Hopfully it'll fall in january sales so you can recoup some cost!

After reading this , i think i'll still get the 860is. It does say (as you mentioned) Its only at the wide angle you get the distortion. I've seen samples and it?s not all that bad. And if I just set it to the next setting up it'll be fine. After all the 950is just has a shorter angle, with the 860is at least you have the choice to shoot a wider (albeit slightly distorted image)

Let me know what you end up with and how what you think to it!

edit: The SD870is is the states version of the 860i:):)