IGN Orange Box PS3 Review

The second gameplay problem is really more based on personal preference. If you're more into open worlds teeming with motion and filled with populated battles, the Half-Life 2 games may disappoint. They have epic battles, but the overall tone of the games is far more isolated than a shooter like Resistance: Fall of Man or Halo. Be weary of this, because you'll be fighting a lot inside, in dark areas or lifeless locales, which can be pretty shocking (and depressing) if you were expecting something else.

Unfortunately, our complaints don't stop there. The remainder of our criticisms are to blame for the discrepancy in scores between the PlayStation 3 version of the game and the 360 version (the PS3 version, after all, wasn't handled entirely by Valve). The PlayStation 3 Orange Box performs far worse, and this fact just isn't up for debate. While framerate issues aren't as problematic in Half-Life 2 and Episode One, Episode Two suffers a great deal, especially during the episode's larger battles. We regret to say that some sections border on being unplayable because of the stutters, which often cause your aim to be thrown off and timing shots to be very difficult. The problem isn't persistent throughout, but when it hits, it hits hard.

More troubling still is the difference in load times. Almost all the PS3 load times are at least five seconds more than the 360, but loading a saved game/loading after death is particularly awful. These clock in at about two to three times as long as the 360 version, which slows down the gameplay considerably. Even though the PS3 Orange Box sports a quicksave feature, any benefit of this option is lost considering the overall abundance of loading.

Even in Portal, a short title that often requires a little trial and error, this problem is massive. The 360 version takes about three seconds to load your last checkpoint if you die. The PS3 version takes seventeen. It hurts.

We must also mention that during all of our Team Fortress 2 play sessions, there was a very startling delay when using explosive weapons like the Soldier's rocket launcher or the Demoman's grenade launcher. When you pull the trigger to fire, there's a very brief but noticeable delay between the recoil of the weapon and the actual delivery of the explosive. This can seriously screw up your timing when trying to lead a rocket shot, or similar attacks.

Furthermore, a few of our play sessions were laden with so much lag that they became completely unplayable. We were told that this was the result of a European server being used accidentally, as opposed to a US one which will be up and running when the retail version hits shelves, but be weary that this problem may pop up again.

Less dire but perhaps more puzzling is the difference in color throughout the games. While this may just be a result of using our particular monitors, the PS3 version seems darker than its 360 counterpart. The difference is slight and, again, could be an isolated incident, but it's worth noting nonetheless.

So is the PS3 Orange Box still good? Of course -- considering the content alone -- but these issues, especially in Episode Two, drastically hurt the gameplay. If you can tolerate these problems and work around them, we still recommend picking up a copy -- the overall experience is enjoyable. It's just sad to see such a wonderful game hurt so badly by the porting process.

Source

8.4 isn't that bad, it's just sad to see yet another crappy port for the PS3. It's still probably worth picking up for PS3'ers though. Just try and avoid Episode 2 :p

My estimation of scores between 7.5-8.5 (in other topic) seem to be bang on! :laugh:

I'll be avoiding this though, have OB on the PC!

The Orange Box is amazing on PC - it's has redefined my expectations of computer games. Therefore it's sad to see a bad port, particuarly when the PS3 is a perfectly capable machine - it sounds like a rush job, rather than any serious limitation of the console (afterall UT3 aparently performs great).

Confirms my thoughts all along, the past two weeks have been nothing but damage control from EA to recoup their sales on it. Fair enough any company would do the same in this position, but lying to your customers, and then other websites which have probably been bought off along with it, a big fat (N)

'tis an unfortunate thing :(

I don't have a PS3, I have a 360, so i bought it on that when it was released, but I recently made a new PC, so have it on there as well. Personally I prefer the PC version due to quick mouse movements helpin in portal, and a HUGE improvement in TF2 community and stability. I'd recommend getting it for PC if you can, otherwise 360 seems like the second choice, again if you can. But if you only have, or only want it for PS3, I'd still say buy it because it's just an awesome experience.

Do you guys think this is worth buying then? I have it on pre-order. Played when I had my PC but wanted to have the collection on PS3 but from the reviews it seems to be a crappy port. :(

Do you guys think this is worth buying then? I have it on pre-order. Played when I had my PC but wanted to have the collection on PS3 but from the reviews it seems to be a crappy port. :(

If you can only get it for PS3, it's still worth picking up. 8.4 isn't a bad score at all. It just doesn't hold up to the PC and 360 versions.

If you can only get it for PS3, it's still worth picking up. 8.4 isn't a bad score at all. It just doesn't hold up to the PC and 360 versions.

Yup I'd still say must own if you haven't played any of it yet.

I'd say this would be the order you'd want to get them in PC>360>PS3. The 360 version is great but I prefer keyboard and mouse while playing these games.

Yup I'd still say must own if you haven't played any of it yet.

I'd say this would be the order you'd want to get them in PC>360>PS3. The 360 version is great but I prefer keyboard and mouse while playing these games.

Yep. PC is always 1st choice for FPS, as long as you have the rig to run them.

Do you guys think this is worth buying then?

The Orange Box on PC is astounding, so even with some technical issues it should still be a great experience - the problem is we simply don't know how bad the issues are. The only advice we can offer is to buy it on PC or X360 where possible, only getting the PS3 version if it is the only option available.

Yep. PC is always 1st choice for FPS, as long as you have the rig to run them.

Well, HL2 doesn't exactly have high requirement. I have a CoreDuo (not Core2Duo) with an ATI X1800 and it runs great.

^^^ valve doesn't make very demanding games, anyone with a relatively modern pc, or a custom-made gaming machine made in the past 2 years, should handle this fine. thus, i can't imagine anyone wanting to play this on a 360/ps3

furthermore, a video card under $100 should easily max these games out.

First unqualified statement of praise! I'm buying it!

(seriously)

Well, I think if the option is to get it or not, defintely get it. If the option is to get it on a PS3 or 360 or PC, then the PS3 would be the last choice. But get it.

Well, I think if the option is to get it or not, defintely get it. If the option is to get it on a PS3 or 360 or PC, then the PS3 would be the last choice. But get it.

...and in this case since we are in the Sony section talking about the Playstation release of Orange Box it should be a simple question of: get it or not.

So far... it still looks like a good buy for the Playstation 3. :yes:

...and in this case since we are in the Sony section talking about the Playstation release of Orange Box it should be a simple question of: get it or not.

So far... it still looks like a good buy for the Playstation 3. :yes:

Well a lot of people with PS3's also have a 360 or gaming PC, so it is valid to debate what platform to buy it for in this section. Anytime there is a multiplatform release, people are going to compare them on the various platforms, regardless of what section of the forums they are in.

Well a lot of people with PS3's also have a 360 or gaming PC, so it is valid to debate what platform to buy it for in this section. Anytime there is a multiplatform release, people are going to compare them on the various platforms, regardless of what section of the forums they are in.

...and that's where the forums issues have come in on these various "debates." Multiplatform discussion should really stick to the Gamers Hangout general IMO. But since the initial thread was about the Playstation 3 version, it should be just that. And judging by the score, screens and videos... it appears to be a good buy. But I'll be waiting to hear more responses from Playstation 3 owners who have this... and not just message board and/or review site babble. :)

...and that's where the forums issues have come in on these various "debates." Multiplatform discussion should really stick to the Gamers Hangout general IMO. But since the initial thread was about the Playstation 3 version, it should be just that. And judging by the score, screens and videos... it appears to be a good buy. But I'll be waiting to hear more responses from Playstation 3 owners who have this... and not just message board and/or review site babble. :)

...and that's exactly what I said. If you only have a PS3 then the game is a must buy. If you're offended that I'm suggesting buying it on another medium if the choice is there, well, just look at the comparative reviews. I'm not alone in thinking it plays better on 360 or PC. Just because it's the Sony section doesn't mean other consoles or a PC can't be mentioned. Threads are funny that way. I could tell you that since the thread was about the IGN review of Orange Box on the PS3 then you can't talk about other owner's opinions because this thread is about IGN's opinion. But no, that would be silly.