Forum Suggestion - Game Ratings

In light of the comments in the Longtime GameSpot Reviewer Leaves thread, I'd like to formally suggest the creation of a "Game Ratings" forum after the fashion of the "Movie Ratings" forum in The Media Room.

I can see a number of benefits of such a forum:

-It has the potential to de-clutter the forums by creating "unofficial official" game-specific threads in a dedicated area.

-It will make it easier to discuss multi-platform games without having to dig through the existing 4 subforums to find where a topic is posted (e.g. looking for a dual-release Xbox/PC game in either MS Console or GFW) because you can have a topic dedicated to the game irrespective of what platforms on which it may be available.

-On a related note, it might lead to a reduction in trolling/flamewars/etc. by deemphasizing the console and emphasizing the game and its content.

-It will give people like me with limited browsing ability a way to give and get opinions on new (and old) games that doesn't requre external links.

The GH seems like it's missing a small piece of the puzzle. It's got the main forum, which is for gaming news in general, and the subforums, which are for the platforms, but nothing that's specifically all about the games.

So, respectfully requesting you to consider adding a Game Reviews forum. I think a lot of us would appreciate it and enjoy it quite a bit. If there's anything I can do to help, I'd be happy to.

I mentioned in the linked thread that there are plenty of games I'd be willing to review. I'm pretty big into obscure and lesser-known console titles, so it would add some variety as well as leaving big-time next-gen gamers the opportunity to review the Bioshocks, Cryses, CoDs, Half-Lifes, and other high-profile titles.

Be ready to be shocked...

I agree with this idea. (I never agree with member suggestions).

It's being discussed internally, now, and there's no promise anything will come of it, but it is definitely one of the better ideas I've heard in a while, in terms of Neowin's growth.

I think this is a good idea also, but in terms of effecting Neowin's growth i think the whole system would need to be developed a little more to be taken seriously. It would be great if everyone could give their ratings like on some of the review sites and have a page somewhere that lists the community's overall ratings of games and movies. I know the thread ratings are used that way, but it just doesn't seem very complete using them that way.

Edited by StevoFC

Well, we could always start it with a subforum (easy to implement) and then move up to a full-fledged ratings system if people wanted. I'm just thinking the Movie Ratings forum works well enough as-is without any additional components. My original idea was really just a game version of the movie review forum.

But hey, if you want to go for that, feel free. I'd just like to see the main component be part of the forums (as opposed to the news section) so that it's seamless to post a review and have discussion on it, since the forums are a little more full-featured than the news pages in terms of comments and dialogue.