DD-WRT v24 Final Stable Released! ;)

just thought i would make a post saying that the final version of DD-WRT v24 final stable is out as i just noticed it on there official site here...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

i just installed it myself and so far so good ;)

i have a 'Linksys WRT54GS v6' router myself so i cant use nothing besides the 'micro' edition since my router has only 2MB flash memory.

NOTE: when updating from previous versions etc it's strongly recommended to HARD-RESET router then update firmware and after router is backup and running do another HARD-RESET and then adjust your routers settings accordingly and all should be fine.... this should guarantee everything goes a smooth as possible AND that the firmware is running properly.

Hard-Reset = hold reset button for 30seconds.

p.s. i was using RC7 a couple of weeks ago and that was pretty good to.

WARNING: there is a chance you can brick your router (i.e completely kill it) if something goes wrong. so do this at your own risk!

Edited by ThaCrip

I have a linksys WRT150n. Can is use this firmware also? If so, what files do I need, and how to install it? Please feel free to advise, thanks :)

I have a linksys WRT150n. Can is use this firmware also? If so, what files do I need, and how to install it? Please feel free to advise, thanks :)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Suppo...Devices#Linksys ... according to that, yes you can if your hardware revision is v1.0,1.1 ... you should have 4MB flash memory which means you can use the standard build (i.e. more features ;) ) vs the micro which is all i can use myself cause of the 2MB flash limitation... 2MB is BARE MINIMUM needed to use DD-WRT at all.

as for installing it, read here... http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

also... default username = root , default password = admin ....for configuring the router

WARNING: just to let you know there is a chance you can brick your router (i.e completely kill it) if something goes wrong. so do this at your own risk! ... but in general, if you follow instructions correctly and the power dont go out while flashing etc odds are everything will go smoothly.... and remember to hard-reset the router before attempting anything as it will help minimize the chances of anything going wrong.

Edited by ThaCrip

When I go to the download section, there are a lot of files under the linksys wrt150n dir.. Which one do I download??

I'm kind of sketchy on trying this. I believe it was v23 or something, and the wiki said my WRT54GS v7 was compatible with the micro version. I followed the instructions exactly as they were laid out using the micro version, and my router got bricked. Luckily I had a 1 year warranty with best buy so I got a new router and a new 1 year warranty for free.

you can kill it but you can revive it with a jtag cable, just takes some know how :p

I bricked mine a few times and didn't even need the jtag to get it back up. You can sometimes just reflash it with the Linksys TFTP firmware transfer tool.

I bricked mine a few times and didn't even need the jtag to get it back up. You can sometimes just reflash it with the Linksys TFTP firmware transfer tool.

When mine got bricked, I couldn't fix it using TFTP. It'd turn on and then all the lights would just stay on except for the power light, and no computer would get an IP or anything.

I'm kind of sketchy on trying this. I believe it was v23 or something, and the wiki said my WRT54GS v7 was compatible with the micro version. I followed the instructions exactly as they were laid out using the micro version, and my router got bricked. Luckily I had a 1 year warranty with best buy so I got a new router and a new 1 year warranty for free.

i think i found what your problem was... v23 SP2 final is NOT compatible at all with a v7 router cause i think that added support in the v24 RC stages ;) ... im not 100percent sure on that but im fairly sure.

plus from reading the install here... http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_T..._the_WRT54GS_v7 , it appears that there is two different flash chips.... intel and non-intel ones.... did you follow these instructions? (im just curious)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/s...cro_generic.bin (that firmware should be the one you want for your v7 router) ... cause the one they list in the 'how to install' link above im pretty sure wont work on your router. lol (even if it does it's a RC5 which aint the final stable one)... i dont know why they listed that one.... but everything else they listed seems good on that 'how to install' page.

also DO NOT use wireless when updating firmware as it's not reliable from what people say... cause even though it might work there's just more risk using wireless vs the hard wired connection.... plus from what they say it's a good idea to use a static ip (non DHCP) ip address when doing the flash.... i myself just used 192.168.1.98 (DHCP starts from 192.168.1.100) which is what i have for my main IP address of my main pc.

but as usual.... DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Edited by ThaCrip

Only took 12 posts till someone trolls tomato.

NICE

DD-WRT is a lot more robust that tomato anyway.

Dream on - Tomato is rock solid and doesnt need to reboot every 5 seconds for a config change.

Some people can't use Tomato.

like me, cause my router dont have the 4MB needed to even attempt using Tomato firmware... so for me DD-WRT micro is the ONLY choice.

Dream on - Tomato is rock solid and doesnt need to reboot every 5 seconds for a config change.

your semi-right about the 'rebooting' stuff, but it aint as bad as he's making it look as it only seems to reboot if your on the main setup page (Setup > Basic Setup) for the most part... cause 'most of the stuff' you dont need to reboot router for changes to take effect.

but assuming you can use Tomato ... i do hear good things about Tomato firmware.

Edited by ThaCrip

DD-WRT is also rock-solid and has run for months on end without a single reboot. And if you want to change a setting, click save, and on your last configuration option choose apply, so that it only reboots once for all the settings.