Microsoft virtual PC 2007 + XP

Question

I installed virtual pc tonight and installed xp in it. i use vista normally. the reason i installed it is i need to run protools digi 001 whcih only runs under xp...however i cant see the hardware PCI card etc in device maneger in virtual XP. is there any way i can change settings so that i can, and thus install protools Le 6.4 on my virtual XP?

7 answers to this question

hmmm, how would i do that? i tried to install the actual software and it starts but then get "catastrophic failure"

Wait, let me get this straight. You have a PCI card installed and you want the virtual windows XP to use it. Does that sound right? If so, it's not possible. It's complicated, but you can't pass-through a PCI card to a virtual machine, it's impossible (regular PCs lack an IOMMU).

Just a thought, could you not run ProTools on Vista, but run it on compatability mode for XP?

not sure mate? my driver for the audio hardware is for XP. how do you run this mode?

Wait, let me get this straight. You have a PCI card installed and you want the virtual windows XP to use it. Does that sound right? If so, it's not possible. It's complicated, but you can't pass-through a PCI card to a virtual machine, it's impossible (regular PCs lack an IOMMU).

ye thats exactly it! so you reckon i should just do a dual boot or something?

ye thats exactly it! so you reckon i should just do a dual boot or something?

If you need to use XP (if driver & software won't work in Vista), then your only option is to dual-boot.

If you need to use XP (if driver & software won't work in Vista), then your only option is to dual-boot.

i tried installing the software in compatibility mode there and it seemed to be installing fine until it tired ti install the driver!! Dual boot it is then!! thanks guys :-)