Keep cookies for certain sites when clearing private data

Hi All,

Is there a way I can keep cookies for one or more sites but remove the rest of my cookies apart from manually. I know you can set what sites are allowed to use cookies and for what period but this is of no use. All I want it for is the BBC website so I can keep my customisations but still delete all the rest of my cookies. Is there an addon that works with FF3 that can do this, or any other way?

Thanks.

You don't need an addon to do this, here's how I do it:

1. Go to Tools->Options->Privacy tab.

2. Make sure 'Accept cookies from sites' is checked and in the dropdown menu underneath that starts with 'Keep until' , make sure 'I close Firefox is selected.

3. Now click 'Exceptions' and in the Exception - Cookies window, type in the name of the site you want to keep the cookies for and then click the 'Allow' button. It should be added to the exceptions list below.

4. Repeat for all the different cookies you want to keep and click Close. You should now be back in the Privacy tab.

5. Keep in mind that some sites may have multiple cookies with slightly different addresses from a particular site. So check out your current cookies for that site by clicking the 'Cookies' button to make sure you have all needed cookies for a particular site added.

6. These next steps are very important and if you don't do these correctly, there may be a conflict that prevents the cookie saving from working properly. In the Private data section of the Privacy tab, make sure that 'Always clear my private data when I close firefox' is unchecked.

7. Click on the 'Settings' button and in the 'Clear Private data' window, make sure that 'Cookies' is unchecked and then click OK.

8. Make sure 'Ask me before clearing private data' is checked and click OK to close the Options window.

Now when can close Firefox, all the cookies you wanted to keep will remain and all the rest will be deleted.

If you use CCleaner, in the Options->Cookies section, you can set the same exception rules i.e. 'Cookies to Keep', so that when you run CCleaner, all the other junk will be cleaned out, keeping the cookies that you have selected.

Hope this helps :)

2. Make sure 'Accept cookies from sites' is checked and in the dropdown menu underneath that starts with 'Keep until' , make sure 'I close Firefox is selected.

3. Now click 'Exceptions' and in the Exception - Cookies window, type in the name of the site you want to keep the cookies for and then click the 'Allow' button. It should be added to the exceptions list below.

4. Repeat for all the different cookies you want to keep and click Close. You should now be back in the Privacy tab.

5. Keep in mind that some sites may have multiple cookies with slightly different addresses from a particular site. So check out your current cookies for that site by clicking the 'Cookies' button to make sure you have all needed cookies for a particular site added.

6. These next steps are very important and if you don't do these correctly, there may be a conflict that prevents the cookie saving from working properly. In the Private data section of the Privacy tab, make sure that 'Always clear my private data when I close firefox' is unchecked.

7. Click on the 'Settings' button and in the 'Clear Private data' window, make sure that 'Cookies' is unchecked and then click OK.

8. Make sure 'Ask me before clearing private data' is checked and click OK to close the Options window.

Now when can close Firefox, all the cookies you wanted to keep will remain and all the rest will be deleted.

If you use CCleaner, in the Options->Cookies section, you can set the same exception rules i.e. 'Cookies to Keep', so that when you run CCleaner, all the other junk will be cleaned out, keeping the cookies that you have selected.

Thanks, worked great!

Wow, that is actually one nice tip. Never would of figure out to use it that way myself :pinch:

Thanks, worked great!

You're welcome, Jigsaw :)

Wow, that is actually one nice tip. Never would of figure out to use it that way myself :pinch:

Haha, it took me a couple hours of trial and error bfore I figured it out. Turned out that there was that problem with the conflict I mentioned above that stopped it from working right. Once I figured that out, it worked just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I've been doing with Firefox for longg time now. Love it.