Apple removes MobileMe

While installing iTunes 8.0 through the Apple Software Update applet on Vista Business SP1, I noticed that MobileMe was placed in "New Software" beside Safari. It looks to me like Apple learned their lesson and un-bundled MobileMe from iTunes 8.0+Quicktime. Great move on Apples part in my opinion. Additionally, the old MobileMe seems to have been uninstalled by the iTunes 8.0 installer since it is no longer in the Control Panel.

Note: Sorry if this has been posted earlier, or if everyone knew already. This was just a complete suprise for me.

well iTunes is mac software even though its windows, however shouldnt the mac software do the same thing on the mac as it does on windows and its more of a discussion than a issue.

well iTunes is mac software even though its windows, however shouldnt the mac software do the same thing on the mac as it does on windows and its more of a discussion than a issue.

MobileMe and QuickTime are integrated features of 10.5. There's no bundled software of sorts.

the problem is, I had the MobileMe control panel applet installed with last iTunes update, and now with iTunes 8.0 update, it didn't remove the MobileMe applet, but continues to ask me to install the MobileMe 1.1 update, even after I specifically tick the box to install the MobileMe update, it downloads the 2M update, install it, check for update again, and then again it shows the MobileMe 1.1 as an available update. So it seems the MobileMe bundle installed by Apple Update last time messed up the Apple Update detection this time, so even after you choose to install the MobileMe update, it still thinks it's not installed and continues to prompt for it.

While installing iTunes 8.0 through the Apple Software Update applet on Vista Business SP1, I noticed that MobileMe was placed in "New Software" beside Safari. It looks to me like Apple learned their lesson and un-bundled MobileMe from iTunes 8.0+Quicktime. Great move on Apples part in my opinion. Additionally, the old MobileMe seems to have been uninstalled by the iTunes 8.0 installer since it is no longer in the Control Panel.

Note: Sorry if this has been posted earlier, or if everyone knew already. This was just a complete suprise for me.

I still have mobileme installed.

I still have mobileme installed.

But did you uninstall it before updating to version 8? It didn't appear to add it to me but I had previously removed it after installing version 7. Perhaps it simply doesn't uninstall it if you have it. Afterall, they are opening up a whole new can of issues if they then automatically remove a previous install of it when you install 8 and the user happened to be using the program on a daily basis.