first Screenshot for Windows 7 build 7004 !

Okay, I've just installed a pre-beta build of W7 on my old home laptop (a Tosh M5 with 2GB memory). The upgrade went very smoothly though it did take a little while. First impressions after using for a few hours only:

Caveat: I like Vista. Since SP1 I have been running Vista on three machines with no problems. I like the UI, I've become a convert to gadgets, I love customising my desktop experience, I couldn't go back to XP again, ever.

W7Desktop

W7Desktop_2.jpg

1. This feels like a completed OS, it doesn't say beta to me it says almost done

2. The UI is noticeably more responsive, in fact the whole machine feels more snappy, lighter somehow

3. The new UI features (taskbar, preview windows, jumplists etc.) are really useful and unobtrusive. It will take a little while to get used to the slightly revised task switching but I think it will be more intuitive long term.

4. I like the new taskbar which combines the old Quick Launch with running apps. I wish I had more control over icon size - still not big enough on my 1400 x 1050 screen to my eye

5. I love the fact that at long last I can change the order of running tasks on the task bar!

6. I'm one of the small number of people who uses the auto-hide feature of the taskbar (in Vista I used a two story taskbar with Quick Launch along the top and running apps below) to provide more real estate. I'm finding this doesn't look so great with Win7 and have reverted to fixed single story.

7. Apart from an issue where my default window colour changes from transparent to black if I click on a desktop icon (maybe my video card?) I haven't encountered any problems

Source: Scott Wylie's Communicado Blog

so build 7004 its still a prebeta so how is 7000 a beta?

but seems like the version coming up is : 7004...or after as some sources say!

The sidebar is back, Microsoft said the removed it a few months ago, something tells me this pic isn't a real build.

Errr....I'm tempted to think the Sidebar is indeed gone; he just has all of his gadgets lined up on the right (which is something I plan to do myself; I don't want gadgets sitting in the middle of my desktop).

Though given the OP's low number of posts, its quite possible its faked. I'm just pointing out that just because all the gadgets are lined up on the right doesn't mean the sidebar is back. You can see the subtle shading from Vista's sidebar isn't there in the screnshot.

The sidebar is back, Microsoft said the removed it a few months ago, something tells me this pic isn't a real build.

To me that looks like the gadgets are lined up at the side of the screen... I see no sidebar.

As far as I have read, the gadgets line up at the side by default and then you can move them where you wish.

Edit: 2Cold Scorpio beat me it :p

I don't think the sidebar is back. In the prebeta builds that were leaked. If you double click on a gadget to intall it to the desktop, it puts it in the location where the sidebar was.

Errr....I'm tempted to think the Sidebar is indeed gone; he just has all of his gadgets lined up on the right (which is something I plan to do myself; I don't want gadgets sitting in the middle of my desktop).

Though given the OP's low number of posts, its quite possible its faked. I'm just pointing out that just because all the gadgets are lined up on the right doesn't mean the sidebar is back. You can see the subtle shading from Vista's sidebar isn't there in the screnshot.

The OP didn't take the shot. It came from an MSDN Blog.

Why would a Microsoft employee fake a screenshot of Windows 7? :huh:

Hopefully they do eventually add the sidebar back as a gadget dock for those of use who use gadgets and maximized windows and have widescreen monitors and actually want to use the screen real estate we've got

And for those who think it shoudl be gone 1: you don't have to use it even if others can if they want to. 2: desktop peek has no itnerest or use to me , if I'm using gadgets it's because they have info I want available all the time. if I have to peak they're useless.

As for the screen, I don't see why it should be fake, we allready know the pre beta's are inthe wild, the only thing that would have to be faked would be the build id.

Sidebar still runs as sidebar.exe in the tasks..it's STILL there, they are just not calling it that anymore. This guy just has his icons lined up on the right side. 7 will guide you to the corner (edge of the screen), if that makes sense.

This is just Virtual Desktop done right without the crashes (I still like it though, so relax).

by default windows 7 places all the gadgets the same spot, but the sidebar is "gone"

Can you upgrade from a previous win7 beta build?

Edited by Beastage

Where is the rest of the build string after 7004?

Would the fact that it is missing signify something?

EDIT:

According to Windows 7 News the build shown above is 7004.0.081203-1830 which would indicate that this build was created on December 3rd at 18:30, this build could be from the Release Candidate (RC) branch. We therefore could still see build 7000.0.081212-1400 as the beta which would have been built on December 12th at 14:00.
Edited by iaTa

I thought they stopped branching Windows now? Case in point Vista sp1 matching with Server 2k8, and how SP2 will be the same for both yet again as well.

Server shows up at SP1 when you look at it's info window.

Something says to me they are rushing this OS. Although most reports ive heard are good.

Why do you say this? Have you actually used any version of Windows 7? Also, look at past releases of windows. With the exception of Windows XP to Windows Vista, MS never went more than 3 years between releases.

As far as I have read, the gadgets line up at the side by default and then you can move them where you wish.
by default windows 7 places all the gadgets the same spot, but the sidebar is "gone"

I fail to see how Windows 7 would place the gadgets anywhere "by default" if you have to drag them manually from the gadget gallery... :p