Windows 7's compatibility mode crashes

Righto, I've tested build 6801, 6956 and 7000 and in the two later compatibility mode have NOT worked.

When I try to mark compatibility for any version of Windows, the application instantly crashes, it's like this for ALL exe's.

Have anyone else had these issues? I've tried just about everything and I can't get it to work, I guess I'll send some bug reports to MS so they'll have a look at it the second the official beta starts.

post-273418-1231129251_thumb.png

post-273418-1231129259.png

post-273418-1231129266.png

I know that with build 6956 which leaked, there was a bad image made where the creator didn't specify to leave symbolic links - therefore several things broke. I haven't seen this issue under build 7000 however, perhaps you have a bad installation or a bad installation disc?

I know that with build 6956 which leaked, there was a bad image made where the creator didn't specify to leave symbolic links - therefore several things broke. I haven't seen this issue under build 7000 however, perhaps you have a bad installation or a bad installation disc?

I wouldn't think so as just about everything else have been -perfect-, and the MD5 sums matched up and the DVD was verified as correctly burned.

At the moment it's the odd thing that doesn't work in Win7, everything else have been perfect, I've tried to search on the error code, but no luck there either.

I think is something realated with activation or watermark cause weverything was working till i patcvhed watermark and activated.

Now i really would like to take it back, but even restoring user32mui.dll, not working.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have found the solution.

The crash is due to the wrong permission settings of the file "user32.dll" under "c:\windows\system32\" after the patch is applied.

You can still apply the patch to remove the watermark. Then you need to correct the permission of the file.

Go to "user32.dll", right click and select "Properties", under "Security" tab, correct the following permission settings.

System - only "read and execute" and "read"

Administrators - only "read and execute" and "read"

Users - only "read and execute" and "read"

TrustedInstaller - "Full Control"

File Owner - TrustedInstaller

Reminders: to add "TrustedInstaller", you need to type "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" without the quote.

Hope this information can solve the problem :)

• 4 weeks later...

The crash is due to the wrong permission settings of the file "user32.dll" under "c:\windows\system32\" after the patch is applied.

You can still apply the patch to remove the watermark. Then you need to correct the permission of the file.

Go to "user32.dll", right click and select "Properties", under "Security" tab, correct the following permission settings.

Reminders: to add "TrustedInstaller", you need to type "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" without the quote.

works perfekt :)

thaks alot

thank you very much

works like a charm now :)