Why does router "crash" when a Vista PC connects to it and doesn&

I have a strange problem.

Why does my router "crash" (doesn't give out IPs (DHCP), WiFi doesnt work, no internet acess, ect) when a Vista PC connects to it and doesn't when a XP PC connects to it?

Is there any "Fix"?

I have a strange problem.

Why does my router "crash" (doesn't give out IPs (DHCP), WiFi doesnt work, no internet acess, ect) when a Vista PC connects to it and doesn't when a XP PC connects to it?

Is there any "Fix"?

You don't have javascript disabled in Vista, do you?

My router "seems" to crash when it's disabled, even in XP though too. Does the same thing when using the Opera browser, no matter what OS I'm using.

What kind of router do you have?

Could be related to IPv6, what is the router? make and model number?

You could disable IPv6 on your vista box.. Unless you actually are using it, little point to having it enabled.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/ipv6faq.mspx

Q. How do I disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008?

A. Unlike Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 cannot be uninstalled. However, you can disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 by doing one of the following:

• In the Network Connections folder, obtain properties on all of your connections and adapters and clear the check box next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) component in the list under This connection uses the following items.

This method disables IPv6 on your LAN interfaces and connections, but does not disable IPv6 on tunnel interfaces or the IPv6 loopback interface.

• Add the following registry value (DWORD type) set to 0xFFFFFFFF:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

This method disables IPv6 on all your LAN interfaces, connections, and tunnel interfaces but does not disable the IPv6 loopback interface. You must restart the computer for this registry value to take effect.

If your router does not support window scaling, the autotuning feature of vista can cause you lots of grief.. You can put this insto restrictive mode.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=restricted

If that does not fix it, you can actually disable the feature.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

To put it back to normal

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

You can try out this tool to check your router.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/too...gd/default.mspx

Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool

Here is some about the issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430

Network connectivity fails when you try to use Windows Vista behind a firewall device

If its just dhcp issue with vista, look here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

So I should run those commands on all my Vista machines? And no, AFAIK, I dont use IPv6 for my network, just your standard IPv4 addresses.

Weird that it doesnt happen when only Vista machines are connecected.

So your saying if just vista machines connect it fine?? But when XP and Vista it crashes, but if just XP its also fine??

That is not what this states.

"when a Vista PC connects to it and doesn't when a XP PC connects to it?"

Nor did you bother to answer my question about the make and model number of the router in question.

Gawd.. Why is it like pulling teeth with a chopsticks to get any useful info around here :rolleyes:

And yes those are commands you can run on vista to turn off tuning, and disable IPv6, Did they look like commands you run on your router?? :rolleyes:

So your saying if just vista machines connect it fine?? But when XP and Vista it crashes, but if just XP its also fine??

That is not what this states.

"when a Vista PC connects to it and doesn't when a XP PC connects to it?"

Nor did you bother to answer my question about the make and model number of the router in question.

Gawd.. Why is it like pulling teeth with a chopsticks to get any useful info around here :rolleyes:

And yes those are commands you can run on vista to turn off tuning, and disable IPv6, Did they look like commands you run on your router?? :rolleyes:

Im saying the following.

2 Vista machines connected - Id say 70% of the time it works ok. Others crashes

1 XP machine - It never crashes

1 Vista, 1 XP - It crashes again maybe 70%

Does the make and model really matter? Just so you dont get your panties in a bunch it is a 3Com 3CRADSL72.

BTW

I can copy and paste too from the KB article (which I already have read many many many times before you posted it) and not explain such terms as "window scaling" and "restrictive mode" (for example) :) Im as cocky and all knowing as you BudMan! :D

"Im as cocky and all knowing as you BudMan!"

Cocky way more, but knowing -- not even freaking close. If you were you wouldn't have need to ask so many freaking questions ;)

And YES the freaking model of the router matters, so we could look up if there is any known issues. What level of the firmware are you running on it. 1.09 fixed some stuff.

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result....p;sku=3CRADSL72

2. Software Release

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This version of software fixes the following issues:

- Patched security vulnerability caused by a hidden page

- Patched switching GUI buffer overflow

Don't think they jumped from 1.01b to 1.09 without some fixes ;)

So you have "READ" the articles where the info has come from, but have you bothered to implement any of it?

And again you have not not really given any info worth anything. WTF does "crashes 70% of the time" mean?? Is this when you access the routers gui? What is that number based on?? 70% of what? Times you turn on the machines, So 7 out of 10 times you turn on the vista box it crashes? What?

And YES the freaking model of the router matters, so we could look up if there is any known issues. What level of the firmware are you running on it. 1.09 fixed some stuff.

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result....p;sku=3CRADSL72

2. Software Release

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This version of software fixes the following issues:

- Patched security vulnerability caused by a hidden page

- Patched switching GUI buffer overflow

Don't think they jumped from 1.01b to 1.09 without some fixes ;)

So you have "READ" the articles where the info has come from, but have you bothered to implement any of it?

It is running 1.09 so congrads on wasting your time on a worthless post :)

And again you have not not really given any info worth anything. WTF does "crashes 70% of the time" mean?? Is this when you access the routers gui? What is that number based on?? 70% of what? Times you turn on the machines, So 7 out of 10 times you turn on the vista box it crashes? What?

Man you need to be spoon fed.

Do you know sayings such as "it's raining cats and dogs"? Literally it aint raining cats and dogs....

Crashes 70% of the time is like you said, 7 outta 10 times (aprox) the router crashes and doesnt give out a IP to either PC. It happens/doesnt happened with WiFi and Ethernet so the problem doesnt lie there.

Now for some strange reason I can ping the router but I can't access it....

BudMan I know you know alot about networking it but your little copy and paste from the KB mightnt have ****ed up something right?

If you're going to be obnoxious and cocky then don't ask for help here. BudMan isn't obligated to help you at all.

If you're going to be obnoxious and cocky then don't ask for help here. BudMan isn't obligated to help you at all.

Me the cocky one? Thats a surprise.

Yeah I'm done with his questions - Good luck.

This is the most educated and nicest thing BudMan has said to me.