need surround sound advice

Ok im looking for a 5.1 system or 7.1 system to replace my Technics scdv290

the devices i wish to plug into it are

my PC, Ps3, and xbox360

now i was thinking of getting the logitech z-5500 and getting some sort of switch box for the three devices but if you can think of better then please suggest the better option

Budget ?250.

Thank you for all and any help....

Quick thoughts: 7.1 is worthless. Focus your budget on a quality 5.1 system instead of stretching for 2 more channels which add little sound as it is.

With your, budget a simple PC/multimedia solution may be best despite a switch box or manually switching between sources.

The other option would be to piece together a sound system with a used receiver from either online or through local pawnshops.

• 3 weeks later...
One question if i have the audio going through the HDMI on the PS3 and 360 will 5.1 be put out via my ~TV's optical out put?

Why not use the inputs on your new receiver? Why run multiple cables to the TV just to take the TV sound and run it to the receiver?

Sony strdg820-blk

Opinions on this AV receiver?

is it good for the money?

I have this receiver and I love it. My yamaha died on me and this was a loaner while it got repaired. I sold my yammy and kept this one. Excellent sound quality and easy to use and setup. My advice is you are considering this, then buy it!! You won't be disappointed!

I have both my pc and ps3 hooked up via optical cable with no problems!!

I have this receiver and I love it. My yamaha died on me and this was a loaner while it got repaired. I sold my yammy and kept this one. Excellent sound quality and easy to use and setup. My advice is you are considering this, then buy it!! You won't be disappointed!

I have both my pc and ps3 hooked up via optical cable with no problems!!

Hooking up many receivers in a retail environment, I've always disliked the Sony units. They tend to be really picky and I always find the interface and such to lack a certain intuitiveness that the other brands have.

Hooking up many receivers in a retail environment, I've always disliked the Sony units. They tend to be really picky and I always find the interface and such to lack a certain intuitiveness that the other brands have.

Compared to my yammy, this one was a snap. Very user-friendly menu. Didn't even have to look at the manual. Switches seemlessly between dolby, dts and pcm with no hesitation. Mind you I use this strictly for audio. I put all the video direct to my tv.

Compared to my yammy, this one was a snap. Very user-friendly menu. Didn't even have to look at the manual. Switches seemlessly between dolby, dts and pcm with no hesitation. Mind you I use this strictly for audio. I put all the video direct to my tv.

Why? And how?

Why? And how?

Just didn't have the time to set it up properly. Not exactly hard to do, run my hdmi cables to my tv and plug them in. I have my optical cables running to my receiver.

Personally I can't stand anything Sony audio speaking; to cheap (quality wise) and very limited in functionality.

If it works for you, then great!

For ?250 forget about surround and get a stereo.

Spend as much of that ?250 as you can on the speaker pair and find a non-broken receiver, that's powerful enough to drive your speakers, and about as inexpensive as possible somewhere. 2nd hand will work.

When you have more money later on you can add a sub, replace the receiver with a proper A/V receiver and then add more channels.

There's no reason to go for the whole thing now and get shoddy components you'll just end up replacing in a few years.

Edited by shakey_snake

For ?250 forget about surround and get a stereo.

Spend as much of that ?250 as you can on the speaker pair and get a non-broken receiver that's about as inexpensive as possible somewhere.

When you have more money later on you can add a sub, replace the receiver with a proper A/V receiver and then add more channels.

There's no reason to go for the whole thing now and get shoddy components you'll just end up replacing in a few years.

So you're saying stick with my Technics scdv290?

pioneer is much better at making recievers than sony. If you are using this also as a home theater, I would recommend the 7.1 option. It makes 5.1 sound like a child. Just watched king kong on blue ray and listened to it in dts master audio in 7.1 and was better than listening to it in 5.1. 7.1 opens up the sound.. I have a dts 96/24 6.1 dvd audio version of queen's a night at the opera and listening to boehemian rhapsody in that was a mind blower. Pioneer and 7.1. thats where its at.

I have the DG820 in my bedroom setup with an Onkyo 5.1 kit (http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=ONKY-SKSHT518-BLK - although they've gone up since I purchased them), and in that sort of environment, its a brilliant amp. The layout of the UI is a bit iffy, and as usual the auto-calibration is a joke, but once you have it setup properly the sound it throws out is actually pretty decent. The remote control is utter crap, however, a Logitech Harmony sorts that out (I've had no issues controlling it from my 1000).

Some of the Sony boxes do have issues with Sky HD over HDMI though, so think carefully about it if you may get Sky HD in the future (a firmware update fixed it, however, there's no way of telling if Richer Sounds are carrying old, un-updated stock).

If you have the Sony and like the Sony, keep it. Audio is highly subjective and everyone has a very strong opinion of it. What sounds good to me and works well for me may not be any where near the ideal for you.

pioneer is much better at making recievers than sony. If you are using this also as a home theater, I would recommend the 7.1 option. It makes 5.1 sound like a child. Just watched king kong on blue ray and listened to it in dts master audio in 7.1 and was better than listening to it in 5.1. 7.1 opens up the sound.. I have a dts 96/24 6.1 dvd audio version of queen's a night at the opera and listening to boehemian rhapsody in that was a mind blower. Pioneer and 7.1. thats where its at.

One of the more frustrating aspects of suggesting a system to individuals on a tight budget is the issue of 7.1 over 5.1. Whats the difference? Well, A, your money and B, your money.

The added bonus of 7.1 to 5.1 is minimal at best, and nothing at worst. On a limited budget your goal is to maximize quality, not quantity as that comes later. Always focus on purchasing the best components you can afford to maximize your satisfaction and build quality.

so i would be better going with Onkyo or Pioneer?

The decision should be based upon whether you like the sound or not. Each amp will sound different, and each unit will have slightly different processors; all of which can and will impact the quality.

Now, dont' get bent out of shape on this. Your options for quality may be slightly limited due to budget. If there is a receive you like, that has the features you need, and you don't think you'll have buyers remorse, then go for it.

Plus, if your pleased with your speakers, and like the tonal change that occurs when swapping out hardware, then keep your speakers. If not, consider your speakers and your hardware if it is a major issue for you. Have fun, it can be a great hobby!

One of the more frustrating aspects of suggesting a system to individuals on a tight budget is the issue of 7.1 over 5.1. Whats the difference? Well, A, your money and B, your money.

The added bonus of 7.1 to 5.1 is minimal at best, and nothing at worst. On a limited budget your goal is to maximize quality, not quantity as that comes later. Always focus on purchasing the best components you can afford to maximize your satisfaction and build quality.

The decision should be based upon whether you like the sound or not. Each amp will sound different, and each unit will have slightly different processors; all of which can and will impact the quality.

Now, dont' get bent out of shape on this. Your options for quality may be slightly limited due to budget. If there is a receive you like, that has the features you need, and you don't think you'll have buyers remorse, then go for it.

Plus, if your pleased with your speakers, and like the tonal change that occurs when swapping out hardware, then keep your speakers. If not, consider your speakers and your hardware if it is a major issue for you. Have fun, it can be a great hobby!

so the best option for me would be to get a low to mid range 5.1 receiver with good speaker set then later on when 7.1 is more widely used replace it with a 7.1 receiver and just add two more speakers at a lower price?

I think the best option would be to build the best 2.1 or 5.1 system you can now and not worry about 7.1. It's not nearly as important as some would have you think and it's much better to have a strong 5.1 system than a strong 5.1 system with 2 cheap channels tacked on.

The moral is this: If you like the sound you have now, stick with it. People will bitch and moan about their preferences, but it's highly subjective, You and I will never hear the same sound the same way, so out preferred audio setup is unlikely to be the same.

I agree with BB. Assuming your from the UK if not Europe, you have more options than us Yanks.

You should be able to purchase a simple stereo amplifier, or if you want to establish the core of your system with a simple 5.1 receiver, that's not a bad option either. It will depend on how long and how much usage you will receive before upgrading again; some do it where as others don't. If your looking for something to tide you over short term, then maybe a simple stereo amp is your solution. Also consider the used market for good deals as well.

Beyond that, I always suggest you start with a pair of stereo speakers that you like. From there you can add on once funds are available, providing this is something your interested in. If not, a quality stereo system is all you need, and you will be surprised how many people would just prefer a good stereo system over a decent surround sound experience.

It boils down to personal tastes, desires and financial feasibility.

This is not "highly subjective" as BangBang might suggest. Turning electrical impulses into mechanical sound waves is a WAY less precise of a process than any task a receiver has to perform.

If audio wasn't so subjective, the completely different sound between a Klipsch speaker and a JBL speaker wouldn't be so evident. Neither is a bad speaker, just different. Some people like warmer sound, some like a more high tone focused sound. Audio is definitely subjective and very much so, at that.

I'm not going to even bother responding to any of the posts above, however for those of you who are beleaguering a point that is absolutley irrelevant here, may I remind you:

Budget ?250.

Thank you for all and any help....

That line alone tells you what you are working with.

I am all for debates and conversations on anything audio; it is a big hobby for me. However, the fact of this matter is that a fellow board member who, has limited resources has been provided the easiest solution.

End tape.

The guy just wants a simple surround sound setup for his home. How the hell did this turn in to such a debate?

Everyone get over yourselves and just answer the simple question. This discussion isn't helping in any way at all. If anything, all parties involved are just sounding totally ridiculous now. In absolutely no way are you helping. you are all just arguing with one another now.