need surround sound advice

To OP:

Your best bet is to go to a good Hi-Fi shop, tell them your budget and requirements. They should then sit you in a sound room , and let you listen to various set ups that meet what you need (I've even known them to come and set up test rigs in peoples own homes, as you listening area can affect the sound also). Pick the one that sounds best to you.

We all hear sound different (I'm always arguing with my wife over it when watching films), so some one recommending an actual product wont really help, other than to say with the build quality.

I would try to get the best you can afford and add extra items (like sub-woofer) later.

I'm still listening to my films in stereo, through some very good B&W speakers, and an old but good Sony amp. I will add to this later as funds allow, with a good centre speaker, then amp upgrade, with rear speakers to follow.

WhatHiFi is a good starting place to compare equipment, I am told.

The best way to decide is to try equipment out and look at reviews. Everyone has different ideas about what works.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the Sony HTSS-1300 just after Christmas for ?246.

It's awesome for me, and the good thing is it supports PCM over HDMI meaning I can get HD audio through my PS3.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-cinema-s...d-kit/ht-ss1300

They do tall speakers as well - http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-cinema-s...d-kit/ht-sf1300

I think they might be discontinued now though?://

I done all my homework and got advice from AVForums, it was between the Sony setup and the Onkyo HTX-22HD (5.1) system. However the Onkyo surround speakers have to be purchased separately and absolutely nowhere had them in stock at the time.

You mentioned the Logitech Z5500 in your original post. I am using the same thing with one of my pc's, and it is very good value for money. And with this set, you do not need a switch box for all your inputs because you can connect six sources simultaneously to this. And it also sounds pretty good considering what it costs. Although the satellite speakers are directional, so you have to find the "sweet spot". And the sub can be a bit boomy, but that can easily be turned down.

All in all, it is a good set for about 200 pounds, and will suit your needs perfectly. Just my 2 cents.

You mentioned the Logitech Z5500 in your original post. I am using the same thing with one of my pc's, and it is very good value for money. And with this set, you do not need a switch box for all your inputs because you can connect six sources simultaneously to this. And it also sounds pretty good considering what it costs. Although the satellite speakers are directional, so you have to find the "sweet spot". And the sub can be a bit boomy, but that can easily be turned down.

All in all, it is a good set for about 200 pounds, and will suit your needs perfectly. Just my 2 cents.

It has 4 inputs?

Six actually.

1 optical, 1 coaxial, 1 6ch direct, and 3 stereo.

Logitech Z5500 is better suited for PCs.

For something with your TV get a setup that supports HDMI input and output (Y)

That will mean it most likely accepts PCM over HDMI meaning HD audio from devices that can decode (PS3 and some Blu Ray players), plus it's a lot more efficient. You can't do HD audio over optical, not enough bandwidth.

1 HDMI lead from your TV to receiver (for picture), then everything else (like PS3/360) just plugs right into the receiver with an HDMI cable. Only exceptions would be any devices that don't operate on HDMI.

My Wii has phono cables going to my receiver, but I need to connect it's component cables directly to the TV. My receiver doesn't accept component video cables, just HDMI (although some receivers do).

Edited by Audioboxer

Audioboxer:

You're looking at at least ?400 for onlya receiver> that can handle HDMI the way you are describing. :wacko::

WhatHiFi is a good starting place to compare equipment, I am told.
Oh, God, no. :pinch::

Those are the exact sorts of say-nothing product fluff pieces you want to avoid.

Audioboxer:

You're looking at at least ?400 for onlya receiver> that can handle HDMI the way you are describing. :wacko::

You more certainly aren't.

My Sony HTSS-1300 cost me ?240 and it supports HDMI input and ouput (3 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out), plus PCM over HDMI.

There's a few other kits around that price that will also do it.

You more certainly aren't.

My Sony HTSS-1300 cost me ?240 and it supports HDMI input and ouput (3 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out), plus PCM over HDMI.

There's a few other kits around that price that will also do it.

+1 my panasonic (cant remember model number, too lazy to look:pp) has basically the same and cost me ?260ish and is very nice quality.