difference Windows 7: Ultimate vs. Professional ?

Does anybody knows what is main difference between Ultimate and Professional versions?

Is there any significant difference in functionality?

When installing which version?

It seems that most people are using Ultimate becouse it sounds more fancy..

(im currently using 7068 Pro)

Does anybody knows what is main difference between Ultimate and Professional versions?

Is there any significant difference in functionality?

When installing which version?

(im currently using 7068 Pro)

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus.asp

Scroll down a bit.

In the new scheme, each consecutive Windows 7 edition will simply have more features than the previous one, all the way up to Ultimate, which will have everything.

Professional is essentially the same as Vista Business, so just look up the difference between that and the other Vista editions and you've pretty much got it.

Sorry, but you got it wrong.

In Vista Home Premium there are things that are not present in Vista Business and in Vista Business there are things not present in Vista Home Premium, while Windows 7 Professional has all the features of Windows 7 Home Premium plus some more stuff.

In Windows 7 each SKU is a super set of another SKU.

I think I read somewhere on here that the reason people are using Ultimate is to do with how long you get, if you enter a beta key. Could be wrong though.

Will Microsoft make it possible to upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Professional? I got Vista Ultimate because I wanted features of Vista Business and Home Premium, but don't need the extra stuff that Windows 7 Ultimate would bring to the table.

• 8 months later...

There really isn't much need for Windows 7 Ultimate if I recall correctly. I believe the only difference is that you can change the language used in Windows, and maybe Bitlocker? Certainly not worth a premium to me, but of course if you need to be able to change the language for some reason or something then it would make sense for you I guess... It has a very limited use IMO. Unless I'm forgetting about a feature or something.

I dont think many people need ultimate.

Professional has remote desktop server and media center. Unless you need language support and enhanced bit locker support you wont need ultimate for windows 7.