Gaming Performance Win7

OK - am having another go with Win7 since there are new NVIDIA drivers out but my gaming performance still falls well behind Vista x64, which plays anything I throw at it! Source Engine games take up-to a minute to start as opposed to almost instantly on Vista, Oblivion has horrible slowdown in-game as opposed to smooth as silk in Vista - it's a real disappointment and I can't figure the performance difference out.

OS - Win 7 7100 x64

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3

Memory - 8Gb DDR2 6400 (2 x 4 Dual Channel)

Graphics Card(s) - NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

Sound Card - Realtek Hi-Def Onboard

Hard Drives - 2 x WD5000AAKS 500GB (RAID 0) - 1 x 200Gb system partition, 1 x 200Gb games partition, 1 x 600Gb storage partition.

PSU - OCZ 700W ModXStream

Clean install, newest GeForce drivers (released today 185.81), am using the latest Realtek (R2.22) and nforce (15.23) drivers for Vista x64. Would it be worth omitting the sound and chipset drivers and using the default drivers 7 installs?

May sound crazy, have you tried going to Control Panel, Power Options and then choosing High Performance? Had a similar issue under Vista and as soon as I changed to High Performance, I was back at full throttle. May be a long shot but give it a go (Y)

Aye, I use an "Always on" Power Scheme due to being primarily a gamer. My system may not be a beast but I game on a 26" Bravia LCD TV so only have to render @ 1360x768.

I'm thinking it must be using the realtek and/or chipset drivers since other people are saying there gaming performance in 7 is better than in Vista (unless they are fibbing!)

Well, I can tell you my gaming performance in 7 is a lot better than Vista as well, it's definitely no fib. Perhaps uninstall the audio drivers, disable the unit and try again, if that's the problem you should see an increase in FPS while it's disabled.

Bah am disappointed, 95 to 98 was fine, 98 to 2000 was fine, 2000 to XP was fine, XP to Vista was fine but Vista to 7 is giving me problems :(

Maybe 7 doesn't like my chipset (nForce 560) since it's getting on a bit, may have to spend some money!

Bah am disappointed, 95 to 98 was fine, 98 to 2000 was fine, 2000 to XP was fine, XP to Vista was fine but Vista to 7 is giving me problems :(

Maybe 7 doesn't like my chipset (nForce 560) since it's getting on a bit, may have to spend some money!

have you checked to see if there are any win 7 drivers for your chipset

I run windows 7 rc1 x86, 4g of 1000mhz memory, 8800gt 512, and 10k rpm raptor. My performance is about on par to xp atm only thing is my load times into the games are a tad slower, fps wise its great.

From what I can see there are no nForce drivers for 7 as yet, best I can do is use the latest Vista x64 ones which is what I am doing, same with the Realtek on-board drivers, nothing for 7 as yet.

I appreciate that performance will possibly be lower due to using non native drivers, but what's annoying me is that most people are saying gaming performance is better in 7 than on Vista, and since there are so few native 7 drivers out at the moment they can't be using fully native drivers.

If I recall correctly nVidia drivers have been giving worse performance than Vista drivers (please correct me if this is wrong as I do not have an nVidia card).....ATI drivers on the other hand have been giving better windows 7 performance than their Vista drivers do.

OK - Another fresh install of 7, have rolled with the new NVIDIA GeForce drivers and the default 7 Audio and Chipset drivers, and things are much better!

I'm not sure if it's the Vista x64 Realtek or nForce drivers that slows gaming down, but it's one of them for sure, you are best off not installing them and rolling with the drivers Win7 installs by default. You may miss a few features but performance is much, and I mean much better when gaming.

My gaming performance in vista was great and its just as good in win7. These prerelease wdm 1.1 185.81 nvidia drivers have actually fixed my left 4 dead freezing issues which is nice.

It was probably the nForce chipset drivers I'd guess. I doubt nVidia will support older chipsets in Win7 etc. Best to just use the default ones Win7 installs and only update the video card drivers if you have to.

It was probably the nForce chipset drivers I'd guess. I doubt nVidia will support older chipsets in Win7 etc. Best to just use the default ones Win7 installs and only update the video card drivers if you have to.

Yeah I'd guess its the nForce chipset drivers also. Glad it's better now though! I think I may upgrade to the RC this weekend.

I have the successor to the 560 (nForce 630i) and I'm actually wringing decent performance out of it; could it be because I upgraded from the integrated graphics (and never used the integrated audio)? I didn't upgrade far (HIS Radeon HD3450 256MB PCIe for the graphics; a graphics card so puny it's not even sold any more) and for audio I'm using the X-Fi XtremeGamer (low-profile PCI trim) and I actually have Windows 7 RC installed on an ex-Dell WD 40 GB Caviar PATA hard drive. Sometimes it's not what you spend; it's more where you spend it.

That should rather be:

95 to 98 was fine, 98 to 2000 was fine, 2000 to XP was fine, XP to Vista was a nightmare (and thus cancelled) and XP to Win7 is fine again :D

nForce Chipsets are already known to often be problematic. Last good chipset they brought out was nForce 2, and it went only downhill from there :pinch:

Driver support for it is pee-poor, too. I know what I'm talking about, I had a nForce board myself not too long ago and lost count how often I cursed the day I bought it :x

If you're on Amd, get a Amd SB (Southbridge) 750 mainboard, and on Intel, get a X48 or P45 mainboard.

If I recall correctly nVidia drivers have been giving worse performance than Vista drivers (please correct me if this is wrong as I do not have an nVidia card).....ATI drivers on the other hand have been giving better windows 7 performance than their Vista drivers do.

Looks like the nVidia graphics drivers are just as poor as the chipset drivers :pinch:

My 4870 is working just fine here in Win7 :D

Using the latest nvidia windows 7 drivers my performance is the same if not a little better than vista.