Intel VT

Ever since this Virtual XP mode has been talked about on the net. Ive been doing some research if my new laptop(which i purchased last month) would support VT.

Surprisingly DELL INSPIRON 15 with T6400 doesnot support VT but some further research via google showed me that Lenovo N500 has the same processor,the T6400 and it supports VT.

Also Securable(the software from grc.com) says VT - "Locked OFF".

I am a bit confused now.

First, Does the T6400 really support VT or not.

Second, My Laptop is just 1 month old and it doesnt support the OS thats about to release. Does this mean that EVERY one may not be FULLY compatible with virtual XP mode.

WILL PEOPLE HAVE TO UPGRADE THEIR HARDWARE FOR BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY??? OR WOULD THEY JUST RATHER DOWNGRADE TO VISTA OR XP ???

http://www.dabs.com/products/lenovo-n500-c...emium-5GKS.html

DABS shows lenovo having the T6400 to be having VT.

also GRC Securable says VT is LOCKED OFF.

According to Intel the T6400 does NOT have Intel-VT so the above posts are correct.

T6400 Processor Spec Sheet

Just because a store posts something saying a product does have a feature doesn't make it so. Not the first time a store advertised something incorrectly.

Dell is nice. No laptop I have seen from them has had Intel-VT options locked out of the BIOS on supported CPUs.

Quite amazing really how much of a stir this Virtual XP has made. Considering VT isn't anything new and been around for some time now (I've been using it in VirtualBox and VPC 2007 SP1 for some time) yet nobody really cared and now they do :)

Quite amazing really how much of a stir this Virtual XP has made.

Part of the reason is that this software has brought to light the fact that too many machines out there that SHOULD support it, and even claim to support it, really don't! According to my BIOS, it is enabled, and my processor supports it (well, AMD's version), but it really isn't enabled and there currently isn't a BIOS update available to actually support it.

good point roadwarrior.

2 things i would like to point out

1. im not paying money for vista with ie8 and sp3 built in. and calling it windows 7. it looks the same and they have bulitin Microsoft virtual pc into it.

2. the processor VT issue. when i was choosing my system components. there was no option for VT and that was just a month back. THE NEXT BEST PROCESSOR with VT wa\s the 8600/8400 (not too sure) . and it was goin to cost me ATLEAST 100?-150? EXTRA.

there is no way im paying that much for WINDOWS 7 "COMPATIBILITY".

Quite amazing really how much of a stir this Virtual XP has made. Considering VT isn't anything new and been around for some time now (I've been using it in VirtualBox and VPC 2007 SP1 for some time) yet nobody really cared and now they do :)

You can run Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 under Windows 7 and download a free Windows XP image for it at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en -- and Virtual PC 2007 SP1 works without Intel-VT though it can take advantage of it if available. Microsoft VPC 2007 SP1 also runs Windows XP in 32-bit colour unlike W7 XPM, which is limited to 16-bit colour.