Discovered bug in 7 clipboard

This is maybe a bug, maybe not, but I think that this behavior should not happen at all, and in some ways gives you another perspective of how clipboard works.

Explanation

yesterday i was woking with some servers and copy a command to paste in a brand new txt file.

the command was \\192.168.1.1\c$

i selected the command and pressed ctrl-C

i right click desktop and created a new text file, but by error i pressed ctrl-V in the name of the txt file

Windows pasted 192.168.1.1c$ and told me that some characters will not do in a filename.

i pressed esc to get the original filename

opened the file name and pasted the clipboard content.

Now, what i pasted was 192.168.1.1c, so MY clipboard content was modified by windows.

I mean instead of modyfing the file name to remove the characters, windows modified my clipboard.

Well, if anyone can report it, do it, i don't want any credit, only a more stable and coherent OS.

I will be using it for years to come.

BTW i found the "bug" in a 2003 remote terminal i was working on, so i opened my 7VM and tried it there. still alive as janek said.

That makes me think about how really clipboard works.

This is odd. I tried the same thing in Windows XP and I get 192.168.1.1c$.

Altho when pasting the result in other places it's giving me random results, like in this reply I'm getting 192.168.1.1c$ but in MS Word I'm getting \\192.168.1.1\c$.

This is odd.

nice find! it also happens in Vista SP1.

The bug happens when renaming a file by copying+pasting an invalid file name. Windows removes the invalid characters from the file name in clipboard.

Also happens in XP. (My main OS at work(and as mike said)) and 2000. Maybe is one of a bunch of legacy windows bugs. who knows...

In another topic...

Also is nice (very nice and feels good) to find many other users like me, that have been around for years and years, and only make posts in forums to talk of meaningful things :p

Best regards

This is not the clipboard changing. It is the destination server taking out the illeagal characters for a file name. If you paste it into the new text file on the destination server it will be what you copied. If you paste it into a text file on the source machine it will be what you copied. Been there since vista at least.

Dave.

This is not the clipboard changing. It is the destination server taking out the illeagal characters for a file name. If you paste it into the new text file on the destination server it will be what you copied. If you paste it into a text file on the source machine it will be what you copied. Been there since vista at least.

Dave.

It's definitely changing the clipboard data. Pasting "\\192.168.1.1\c$" into a filename removes the invalid characters. Opening notepad and pasting immediately after resulted in the modified data being pasted into the text file: "192.168.1.1c$"

This has always been a bug, it's actually intentional.

Remember the /con/con bug of Win98? Microsoft fixed that, and in turn got rid of backslashes in actual filenames/folders to stop this bug.

You can actually create a folder called "\\192.168.1.1\c$" but my guess is that you have to create it within another OS.

I haven't tried that myself, but it may not be possible because of changes to the FAT32 and NTFS filesystems.

Neat bug.

Tried it on Vista. You have to try to create the file on the desktop, if you try it in someplace like my docs, windows will just prevent you from pasting it.