[icon] Windows 7 My Computer icon

Windows_7_My_Computer_icon_by_Skurek.png

(click for download)

Just a quick edit I made for personal needs :p Further info inside the link.

Euh... please correct the title, still being sleepy hahaha

It looks great, why the hell MS are using recycled Vista icons for their main system icons I do not understand!

Who redoes every single icon for each OS release? Ubuntu? Mac OS X? Is there anything inherently wrong with the Vista icons that warrants their replacement?

Is there anything inherently wrong with the Vista icons that warrants their replacement?

Yes they were frakking ugly from the start, if MS don't want to replace them they shouldn't have made new icons e.g. Libraries in a different style!

Not bad, it looks actually good, but I preffer this one located at: C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll

Computer.png

Yes they were frakking ugly from the start, if MS don't want to replace them they shouldn't have made new icons e.g. Libraries in a different style!

The Libraries are in a different style :huh:

The icons from Vista are nice to be honest. But did Microsoft change the icons between Win95 and Win98? I don't think so.

Who redoes every single icon for each OS release? Ubuntu? Mac OS X? Is there anything inherently wrong with the Vista icons that warrants their replacement?

Actually, if you go back and look, Microsoft pretty much has been the one to do this, OS X's icons have remained fairly constant over the years (although the icons of some of the apps have changed, the major system icons have remained the same). Microsoft has changed the system icons with each generation of the OS. While the desktop and workstation versions of the OS within each generation would be the same, they changed between generations.

Windows 3.1 and Windows NT 3.1 (and 3.51)

Windows_3.11_workspace.png

Windows 95 and Windows NT 4

Am_windows95_desktop.png

Windows 98 was essentially on its own

Windows98.png

Windows ME and Windows 2000

WindowsME.png

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

Windows_XP_SP3.png

Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

Windows_Aero.png

Edited by roadwarrior

Actually they did, look above.

The ones on the Start Menu look virtually the same, and elsewhere (A bit more in depth maybe)...

• 2 weeks later...
Windows_7_My_Computer_icon_by_Skurek.png

(click for download)

Just a quick edit I made for personal needs :p Further info inside the link.

Euh... please correct the title, still being sleepy hahaha

Actually after trying it out myself I have decided to switch to yours, it looks quite nice indeed :)

I agree. However, so far Apple didn't introduce a handfull of new system icons that totally clash with the existing ones. More importantly today in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard there are virtually no leftovers from previous systems either. I only discovered one: the Boot Camp / Windows icon in Startup Disk still uses an old system folder, but that's it. Would be nice if the same thing could be said about Windows Vista and 7.

Honestly, I don't care that the system icons of Windows 7 stayed largely the same. But they could have taken that opportunity to update the remaining legacy icons to Windows Vista standards as well.

Actually, if you go back and look, Microsoft pretty much has been the one to do this, OS X's icons have remained fairly constant over the years (although the icons of some of the apps have changed, the major system icons have remained the same).

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard brought its fair share of changes: all folder, sidebar, computer and System Preferences icons were replaced or refreshed alongside a bunch of updated application icons. Only the drive, trash, document and remaining application icons stayed the same. It's true that from Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah till 10.4 Tiger there were hardly any changes at all.

Edited by .Neo