Tags Vs Subfolders For Windows Wallpaper

When adding new wallpapers,  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which method of grouping do you prefer for wallpaper management?

• tags
    • subfolders

In the Win7 Beta, as in Vista, the Windows Wallpaper folder was organized by tags. Textures, Vistas, etc.. they were all tags in the images. Now in the RC, the wallpaper dialog no longer uses tags to group the images, but subfolders under the Wallpaper folder (Architecture, Characters, etc).

This is a big step backwards imo. I spent a lot of time tagging images to add to that folder, and the system was perfect. A wallpaper could fit under either Nature, Creatures, or Birds for example, depending on what I needed at the moment. Using subfolders, I can't place a wallpaper in both Sea and Scenery.

My question is, since it's unlikely the Windows team is changing it back, is how do I get the wallpaper feature to use the tagging system again? Subfolders won't cut it.

post-275646-1246219973_thumb.png

Meh, i just pointed it a folder in my pictures called 'wallpapers'. In that folder contained all the pics i want as my wallpaper. Click shuffle and 5 minute intervals BOOM done!

No more thought required

I'd prefer tags due to the point the OP made but I still use folders because I've been sorting my MP3 collection for the last 5 years and have not managed to get to my wallpaper collection yet lol.

Throw them both in each subfolder then. HDD space isn't going to balloon up because of it.

Nothing eats hard drive space like hi-res wallpaper sized JPEGs, but that's besides the point. Why would I want to go around copying a file from folder to folder, when I didn't have to before?

Meh, i just pointed it a folder in my pictures called 'wallpapers'. In that folder contained all the pics i want as my wallpaper. Click shuffle and 5 minute intervals BOOM done!

See that folder in the screenshot called Mine? It says 110 photos and that's not even many. What happens when I only want to shuffle through pictures of the Ocean, just like Windows 7 lets you just shuffle through pictures of Architecture? I think you might have missed the point of the post, which is to go back to having just one folder called 'wallpapers', but shuffle through different ones when you feel like it

You can have Windows sort the "Windows Display Backgrounds" collection using tags by editing the registry.

1. Click on Start, type "regedit.exe" in the Start Search field, and press Enter.
  2. Provide consent or the appropriate credentials to User Account Control if prompted.
  3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Wallpapers\knownfolders\0
  4. Change the GROUPBY String Value (REG_SZ) from System.ItemFolderNameDisplay to System.Keywords.
  5. Place your tagged images in %SystemRoot%\web\wallpaper
  6. Close the Registry Editor.
  7. Right click on the Desktop, click on Personalize, and then click on Desktop Background. You should now see your images sorted by their asssigned keywords (tags).

Alternatively, you can create your own collections and sort them however you wish.

Hope that helps!

You can have Windows sort the "Windows Display Backgrounds" collection using tags by editing the registry.

Thank you Sir! This is what I was looking for. Your blog is duly bookmarked and I shall be trying this as soon as I get home to my PC

Nothing eats hard drive space like hi-res wallpaper sized JPEGs, but that's besides the point. Why would I want to go around copying a file from folder to folder, when I didn't have to before?

See that folder in the screenshot called Mine? It says 110 photos and that's not even many. What happens when I only want to shuffle through pictures of the Ocean, just like Windows 7 lets you just shuffle through pictures of Architecture? I think you might have missed the point of the post, which is to go back to having just one folder called 'wallpapers', but shuffle through different ones when you feel like it

lolwut. wallpaper size JPEGs are tiny, they really really don't 'eat' drive space at all.