new critical vulnerability found in Firefox 3.5.1

That's a negative Houston, does not work on my 3.5.1'er on OS X - perhaps this is a flaw that is only evident on certain platforms (Such as the Win32 / Linux builds)

I think this was reported before 3.5.1 was released, but it doesn't crash here, just uses lots of memory and starts causing the system to page Firefox to disk.

Causes what seems to be a massive memory leak in OS X. Very bad flaw. It's a shame, because it seemed to be such a good release.

~ 1.5 GB of memory :blink:

It tries to cause an overflow but fails - either it's patched already in 3.5.1 or stack protection actually works.

Possibly if you had a machine with not much ram and out of disk/swap space, you could cause an exhaust of the clients resources but it should not crash the client even in those circumstances, only provide you with a funky out of memory error.

Edited by daPhoenix

Oh no's!!

Say it ain't so. Not our beloved Firefox with yet ANOTHER critical vulnerability immediately after release of an update!!

No wonder this is backpage news. It happens so often in Firefox, it's expected, isn't it? :blink:

Using 3.5.1 and it crashed. This was just an innocent proof that it exists and not actual hack. :ninja:

What OS and Arch?

Sorry, by Arch I mean Architecture, as in 32 bit or 64 :)

32; this won't happen on 64 bit? :o

and please tell me that wasn't a real hack, haha. Just a proof that the damn thing exists and can be exploited.

32; this won't happen on 64 bit? :o

and please tell me that wasn't a real hack, haha. Just a proof that the damn thing exists and can be exploited.

I'm on 64bit and it doesn't crash (just lots of memory)

Only thing I can think of, is that 64Bit can do hardware DEP (well, so can 32bit in PAE mode, but nobody runs in that mode since it's buggy in the vast majority of cases), and Firefox is set to have DEP enabled (I think only Vista and Win7 will read that info, XP needs an extra function call to enable it, which is going to happen soon)