Razer Megalodon Sound Cuts Out?

Hi,

I understand many of you probably don't have this headset but I wanted to reach out to anyone that might own them. The Razer Megalodon's were released about a month or two ago and boast a 7.1 surround experience, which is fantastic...when working. I notice when I play any game or use ventrilo, the sound will go out completely after about 15-20 minutes. The fix is rather simple, I have to unplug and replug the USB in, restart whatever game I'm in (or scan for hardware changes in device mgr), but why should I have to do that every 15-20 minutes? Especially in competitive gaming where you need to have sound the entire time, having it cut out is not an option.

Now, I've talked with Razer support and they seem to think it might be the power required for the headset may be too much for my power supply. I have a 1000-watt PSU and only 3 devices plugged in via USB (Mamba, Reclusa, Megalodon), that's not likely. I've used these both on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) and Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) with the same exact results, thus making me think it's not really a platform issue. I've read some posts from others on the web and it looks like people are having the same problem. What I'm hoping for is someone who has this issue that may have a better grasp on what is actually causing it. I've had several headsets over the years and never this problem (not Razer though). Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi You are definately not alone I have had same problem with Vista 64. Its definately not a USB power issue As I have a top spec PC with a 1000 W power supply. I dont have anything else plugged into my USB apart from Megalodon. I have tried everything to fix problem. All drivers Service Packs hotfixes etc. I have done loads of reaserch and cant find any fixes, or even suggestions. However the funny thing is the more I use the headset the better it seems to work and sound, I have used it for the last couple of nights for several hours without one crash. When the headset did crash the sound either just stops working. Base goes distorted and then sound goes, or mic simply stops working... I have e mailed Razor a couple of times. I told them I had all the latest drivers hotfixes etc. but they still replied telling me to install the latest drivers and hotfixes. (there tech support is so lame) then the told me to try disabling my onboard sound card from device manager. Now I did try this before by disabling from within BIOS but I still got same problem. However thinking about it. I did disable my on board sound card from device manager a couple of days ago and have not had a crash since so maybe this has actually fixed problem however I am very sceptical as I have not tested mic in the last couple of days. more testing needed...

you have to remember that the USB power has to pass through the usb controller, it has its own power limits and overload protection etc etc... i have this USB hard disk here which simply wouldnt work without using 12v power on one PC, but works just fine on my own computer...

i suggest trying a powered USB hub if its truly a power problem...

just got another reply from Razer quote

"We have highlighted this issue to our engineers and they know about this audio cutting out. We will update you should there be any news. Thank you"

.. so they finally admit to the headphones having a problem.. Its possible to view how much power the headphones are actually using under load from the device manager and its less than the 500 mA max for a USB port, infact power used is 420 mA. when playing music using winamp in surround mode. I cant see this using less power than a game. Also bandwidth used is 62 % which again is acceptable.. If it is a USB power issue (for instance in a game when theres lots of explosions) then why do the headphones not crash straight away. It always takes at least 15 - 20 mins. Maybe its an overheating issue within the control box. However I doubt this as it never really gets hotter than slightly warm to the touch.

I have read another forum but I cant remember which one where someone else tried a powered USB hub but the problem was still there and besides why should we have to buy another bit of hardware just to get the headphones to work. If thats the case Razer should supply it themselves.

just been speaking to someone in holland and he says him and his friends all have a megalodon without any problems. his is plugged straight into his motherboard.

They seem very reluctant to do that. there technical support is rubbish. they seem to hardly ever answer e mails and when they do they just give a cut and paste answer saying check drivers etc. It took ages for them to send me mine in the first place I dont want to give it back and be without headphones for several months. mine crashed again last night after a couple of hours of use. I am wondering wether it is an overheating problem. I will try my headphones again with a fan pointing at control box.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got an update from a Razer rep I always deal with last night. The engineers at Razer had a meeting and are aware of a unique issue with the Megalodon's and Vista/7 64-bit OS (the sound and mic cutting out randomly). They're not sure what is causing it but they've narrowed the problem down to just these flavors of OS (64-bit Vista/7). I will post when they have sent me word of a solution. I know it probably doesn't affect many on this forum, but hopefully it will be helpful for the few.

• 3 weeks later...

I am patiently waiting to hear an answer from Razer as well. I have Win 7 Pro 64, as does a friend. We bought these headphones @ the same time from the same place, and mine cut out and his doesn't. I've been emailing Razer back and forth and continue to get the same cut and paste emails that you guys are describing. I'm anxiously awaiting a solution to this issue. These headphones are phenomenal when they work.

~Matt

Please email me if you guys find a solutoin. I'm not a regular member of this board, but I will bookmark and try to check back for a solution. All help is appreciated.

~Matt

Hey, I've done a bit of googling, and I ended up here.

I, also have the same problem, running Windows 7 64-bit version. I'm sorry to see that there is no solution to my problem. It's seemingly on a schedule to cut out my audio every 20 mins or so.

The most efficient way of solving this, from my end at least, is clicking the setup button on Ventrilo, then closing the setup window. It seems like it restarts the audio. I'm not sure if it'll work on team speak, or if there's other ways of doing it. It seems like restarting programs and unplugging usb's is a real pain. So, hope I could help a little.

-Xelly

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the same thing Xelly did. I too have the problem meeting the requisites (OS Win7x64)

It works without interruption on my old computer that runs XPx32 SP3 and it's on a 400w PSU

The funny thing is, it was working fine one day, now I get audio cut outs ONLY IN GAME after about 10-20minutes. Edit: Ok now I notice it does it on desktop, music got cut out..

The weirder thing is, not everything cuts out. The game can cut out but I can still talk and hear my friends on xfire. Or the music (Windows Media Player) would cut out, but system sounds and MSNM would still make noises.

I hate having to get up, go around my computer, unplug and replug the USB back into the mobo. So it's a problem even if you connect directly to the motherboard.

I had a Razer Barracuda and it worked without problems. I hope they make a firmware update soon or something. I don't remember if I can get a replacement from bestbuy.

I'll bug Razer about this as well to keep them under pressure :p , the more the merrier.

-Good luck guys.

Edited by Spysix

same here, although i almost never had the problem with vista x64, but i get the cut every 20 minutes since i upgraded to 7x64.

the solution for me is to restart the app/game. works in most cases. if it doesn't, replug the megalodon. if that doesn't work, reboot. reboot always works. still, this is pretty annoying.

the problem seems to occur per app, so game x gets mute, but winamp still plays sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine also still crashes. Although my mic seemed to hold it. What is your experience? I already reported it at the download section of Razer (via comments, which are not shown (at least I could not find back my own comment). And reported it also on the facebook site of Razer where they proudly have presented the updated (which is not working :p ).

So far mic seems to better off sometimes but what I hate is the windows settings for mic resets and I have to go back to record device to set volume and not let applications have control or else I get this weird tunnel noise.

It cuts out often in fallout3 and sometimes in Killing-Floor and rarely in STALKER. So far it hasn't happened when I browse the internet or listen to mp3s.

Update: In the meantime Razer has approached me personally to get the specs of my rig. I hope they will come with an update soon. I really would suggest to contact Razer directly and telling them you still have the problem. When sending a mail to Razer, state you complete game-rig. That will help to narrow down the possible cause of the problem.

Megalodon seems to cut out more often in Champions Online with audio post processing enabled. If disabled it usually takes longer to cut out. Think audio processing is what's tripping this?

Megalodon seems to cut out more often in Champions Online with audio post processing enabled. If disabled it usually takes longer to cut out. Think audio processing is what's tripping this?

"

Could be. I have no idea how to test it. I only play Call of Duty 4. Maybe you should also address this at Razer?

Ok I just talked to razer on the phone, and this issue is in "tier 2 investigation" They say they find this issue appearing mostly on 64bit systems after firmware update (So they know firmware update didn't work). I told them about the champions online thing and he said that when they do figure out whats up they'll send us a email, hopefully soon.