Razer Megalodon Sound Cuts Out?

Ok I just talked to razer on the phone, and this issue is in "tier 2 investigation" They say they find this issue appearing mostly on 64bit systems after firmware update (So they know firmware update didn't work). I told them about the champions online thing and he said that when they do figure out whats up they'll send us a email, hopefully soon.

I'm also in very close contact with 'Glen' at Razer. Almost everyday I have contact with sending him files and additional information. This weekend I need to test the fact if my G15V1 is not getting to much power, so that the Megalodon is short of power. I took a simple keyboard from work and will test this weekend hopefully. If there is any news from my side I will let you guys know.

I'm also in very close contact with 'Glen' at Razer. Almost everyday I have contact with sending him files and additional information. This weekend I need to test the fact if my G15V1 is not getting to much power, so that the Megalodon is short of power. I took a simple keyboard from work and will test this weekend hopefully. If there is any news from my side I will let you guys know.

I dunno about power. I have 950 watts going into my machine and I doubt it it's a power problem.

I dunno about power. I have 950 watts going into my machine and I doubt it it's a power problem.

But the headset gets its power via USB from your motherboard. And motherboards are not always good at power routing for USB. Wouldn't mater if you had even 2000Watt PSU if the Motherboards power regulation is poor.

I agree awith +VICE.

This is my next mail to Glen. I thought the G15 took away to much 'usb power' from the controller together with the Megalodon.

It's not :-).

Mail I just sent:

---------------------------

Glen,

Goodnews and badnews.... The goodnews is, that I don't have to spend any money on a additional USB controller and or new keyboard.

My Dell keyboard from work gives the same error. I just tested it a minute ago. It took aprox 25 minutes before the sound cutted off...

Any news from your side?

R.

Eric

-----------------------

Like I said before. Keep you all posted.

-----------------

But the headset gets its power via USB from your motherboard. And motherboards are not always good at power routing for USB. Wouldn't mater if you had even 2000Watt PSU if the Motherboards power regulation is poor.

Cept I have one of the newer EVGA LE mobos so I doubt it still.

I don't think it's a power issue if it's affecting mostly 64bit users.

I did get an email them asking my msinfo screenshots of firmware update and device manager n serial number.

I think it's a audio processor issue.

Response from Razer...

-----------------

Well I wish it was all good news. L

The engineers are still working on this for you. I hope to have some news later this week. The moment I have any updates I will let you know.

Best regards,

Glen Frick

---------------------------

Maybe end this week?

Ok my megalodon just gone from annoying to worse. Now when audio cuts out it either takes 5 times to unplug and replug back in or a restart and a plug back in. It even persists in computer restart...

I really wonder if the headphones are just defunct :(

Hi guys,

just want to say that i have exactly the same big problem!:( adter 10-20 min my sounds cut off (hope i describe it good haha)!!

I bought the megalodon yesterday and the problem was immediatly there..

If im playing a game the sounds cut off but my windows sounds are still tehre.. have to restart the game and then I can play it again for at least 10-20 min.

I run W7 64-bit... im going to test it on another PC of mine.. a W7 32-bit.. and then XP.. I will post the results..

also i run my megalodon on a USB hub..

I just cant stand it.. I look forward to purchase the megalodon and I did and It's not working well! :s...

You may expect it for a headset that costs ?150,-.. damn..

Greetings

Vince

Problem solved. I have bought an powersupplied hub (20 euro) and it solved the problem. Poor mic quality I also have solved.

I did the following:

-In windows decrease mic recording level to 20% of max. Decrease on razer Mic sens to zero. Decrease Mic level on razer to 5 bars. Worked perfect for me. Maybe some minor tweaking in Teamspeak (or Ventrillo). Quality was now good accoording to my friends online.

Hope this helps you all.

Problem solved. I have bought an powersupplied hub (20 euro) and it solved the problem. Poor mic quality I also have solved.

I did the following:

-In windows decrease mic recording level to 20% of max. Decrease on razer Mic sens to zero. Decrease Mic level on razer to 5 bars. Worked perfect for me. Maybe some minor tweaking in Teamspeak (or Ventrillo). Quality was now good accoording to my friends online.

Hope this helps you all.

I'm not going to buy a hub, but in windows I had the mic level around 5-4 and the megalodon mic settings usually hanging on default or lower. I'll try you're setting at least and maybe I'll get lucky and the gods will smile on me.

But definately not going to buy a hub with its own power just for this headset :pinch:

Sorry I haven't updated everyone either and I too am certainly not going to buy more to get an already expensive headset to work. I've been in contact with my rep from Razer who has been updating me through the whole process. I sent my headset back, they waited until their new firmware came out, which was released a few weeks back and claimed to solve the 64-bit mystery. As expected, after about 35 minutes of gameplay, my headset cut out again. I called my rep and he overnighted me the Carcharias for free and I will remain using them until I get a solid fix from Razer, not a list of tweaks that can be done to "possibly" make it work completely. The Megalodon's have been a HUGE disappointment. I love all Razer products I have purchased and if this headset functioned correctly, I would be ecstatic with them as well. Hopefully their engineers will find out what is causing this. I have 3 devices plugged into USB ports on my PC, that's it! AND, they're the Mamba, Reclusa, and Megalodon (all RAZER products). I have a 1,000-watt PSU as well, which they said it might be a PSU issue, which is absolutely absurd that there would be a power issue with 3 USB devices and one graphics card. I'll keep everyone posted with what I hear next.

EDIT: BTW, this is a known issue only with 64-bit OS (Vista and 7), 32-bit should function fine.

EDIT: BTW, this is a known issue only with 64-bit OS (Vista and 7), 32-bit should function fine.

Headset updated with 2.7 updater..

Tested on Widows XP SP3 32bit and on Windows 7 64bit.. same issues on both.

If conected to the USB hub on my TFT.. sounds dont cut off.. but still mic sounds like crap, no mather the config I use.

And one more problem on my system.. my system fails to reboot with the headset plugged in...

Headset updated with 2.7 updater..

Tested on Widows XP SP3 32bit and on Windows 7 64bit.. same issues on both.

If conected to the USB hub on my TFT.. sounds dont cut off.. but still mic sounds like crap, no mather the config I use.

And one more problem on my system.. my system fails to reboot with the headset plugged in...

Sounds odd. It works fine on my XP SP3 32bit (At least before firmware update)

Veritas, how did you get that carcharias? Did you ask nicely or did they offer? :p

Sounds odd. It works fine on my XP SP3 32bit (At least before firmware update)

Veritas, how did you get that carcharias? Did you ask nicely or did they offer? :p

The Rep at Razer has been handling this for months and sensed my frustration. So I guess being nice helps but at the same time they know that we as customers should not pay such a high price for non fully-functioning headset. They also initially offered a credit but then sent Carcharias. Let me know if you get something similar :).

I totally understand that not everyone is buying an additional powered hub just to get the headset to work. I totally agree on that. However, I'm with my back against the wall. This Saturday I have a Lan-party event and I really need a headset. So that's why I tried the hub. If it will work the whole saturday (14-16 hours of gaming) I'm confident that this is the solution for me.

After that I will contact Razer to see what they want to compensate. All I want is a bag full of Razer goodies for my friends. Like they say in Holland. 20 euro will not make me eat one sandwhich less :-).

Hi again..

Should I understand that with a USB self powered Hub and a Megalodon updated with last 2.7 update, both issues are gone ???

I mean.. 2.7 update broke my mic with that static crap... will a USB Hub solve this ??

I really dont see this could be a solution for me.. because I think shouldn?t be much difference between my USB hub on TFT monitor and a self powered USB hub..

Hi again..

Should I understand that with a USB self powered Hub and a Megalodon updated with last 2.7 update, both issues are gone ???

I mean.. 2.7 update broke my mic with that static crap... will a USB Hub solve this ??

I really dont see this could be a solution for me.. because I think shouldn?t be much difference between my USB hub on TFT monitor and a self powered USB hub..

Mystikal pointed out a solution to fix the mic quality a couple posts up.

Also, Mystikal, did you let Razer know that the a self powered usb hub fixed the problem? (Maybe after your sat stress test)

Because if that might be the case than it might be a hardware issue and we'd have to get a replacement.:((

Mystikal pointed out a solution to fix the mic quality a couple posts up.

Also, Mystikal, did you let Razer know that the a self powered usb hub fixed the problem? (Maybe after your sat stress test)

Because if that might be the case than it might be a hardware issue and we'd have to get a replacement. :(

The usb hub will NOT fix the mic issue. However, I did manage to fix the mic issue, by adapting the settings to almost zero.

I have also contacted Glen Frick at Razer that the problem seemed to be solved. However I also told him that I will have the ultimate stress test this weekend during my Lan-Party. I will then use the mic for 14-16 hours. If it will not cut off I'm feeling confident that this was the solution.

Furtheremore there is also a video in order to reveal to 'secret' options on the megalodon. The one is an 'equalizer' the other one is to let the megalodon show which speakers are being used.

Funny features, but nothing more than that. One is by pressing the middle top button (I forgot the name) for over 10 seconds.

Resetting this options can be done by holding the central button for over 10 seconds.

The bottom center button will give you trick 2. Again central button will reset this feature.

Those of you who are getting the cut-out issues, are you using Ventrilo at all? I'd try and tweak the settings if I hadn't already been sent the Carcharias. I'm done messing with the Megalodon's until Glen comes to me and says they have a legitimate fix for it.

I did the following:

Hope this helps you all.

Like i said... I have an USB hub... and I have the same problem :(. so the USB hub doesnt work for me! :s and yes the usb hub is with powersupply.

haha btw ik ken die uitdrukking niet in het Nederlands met die sandwich :p

Those of you who are getting the cut-out issues, are you using Ventrilo at all? I'd try and tweak the settings if I hadn't already been sent the Carcharias. I'm done messing with the Megalodon's until Glen comes to me and says they have a legitimate fix for it.

No, I don't even have ventrilo. I'd use xfire or steam for voice communique, but I haven't done that since I've gotten this issue..

Like i said... I have an USB hub... and I have the same problem :(. so the USB hub doesnt work for me! :s and yes the usb hub is with powersupply.

haha btw ik ken die uitdrukking niet in het Nederlands met die sandwich :p

Daar eet ik geen boterham meer of minder om :p