Google's Chrome OS revealed

The kernel is based on an Ubuntu kernel source

1 Ubuntu kernel source

3 Checked in here since launchpad.net and archive.ubuntu.com are not

4 guaranteed to keep around older versions.

6 2.6.30-10.12

7   from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/linux/2.6.30-10.12

The kernel is based on an Ubuntu kernel source

1 Ubuntu kernel source

3 Checked in here since launchpad.net and archive.ubuntu.com are not

4 guaranteed to keep around older versions.

6 2.6.30-10.12

7   from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/linux/2.6.30-10.12

Makes sense, they've been using a forked ubuntu in Google for a while IIRC.

Isn't this just another Linux flavor? Sure, Google has the ability to back the project with devs and money. But, in the end, it's just another Linux distribution.

Isn't this just another Linux flavor? Sure, Google has the ability to back the project with devs and money. But, in the end, it's just another Linux distribution.

With an entirely new layer on top of it! They're only using Linux to not have to write a complete kernel.

I think that it is more like a different windows manager like KDE or Gnome....

isnt OS X just another Unix flavor as well

It's a bit more than that, but its new interpretation of personal computing has no place in the world imo. Not yet, anyway.

So will this Google OS only be compatible with Googles own services? I don't really get the application model. What if I want to talk to people on MSN or AIM or something else than Google Calendar to manage my appointments?

isnt OS X just another Unix flavor as well

Unix ≠ Linux ≠ Mac OS X

So will this Google OS only be compatible with Googles own services? I don't really get the application model. What if I want to talk to people on MSN or AIM or something else than Google Calendar to manage my appointments?

Unix ≠ Linux ≠ Mac OS X

Anything that currently works in Chrome will work in Chrome OS.

I guess the release is not exciting to me. I think the exciting part is the backing that Google can add to it. As I mentioned before, the resource of money and developers will lead to more and more official add-ons.

Not saying the Linux community isn't really good at that, but I think Google will develop programs to put them in direct competition with Windows. IMO, that would be a more relative alternative to Windows for most people.

Unix ≠ Linux ≠ Mac OS X

Check the screenshots, one of them has an web app menu, you can see Yahoo mail there.