Symantec is Anti-Virus Product of the 2009

And I still wouldn't use it, they've had fantastic AV software in the past and sank into a deep, black hole. Now they are back on top and I have a gut feeling the boat will sink once again.

Meh... I didn't like them at all this year. I use to be a big fan of them, but using MSE is a great experience, and it's free.

And I still wouldn't use it, they've had fantastic AV software in the past and sank into a deep, black hole. Now they are back on top and I have a gut feeling the boat will sink once again.

I agree..

I know it's not fair to say Norton 2009 sucks when I never used it, I'm being honest here..

But Norton 2004,2005,2006 were really bad, very bloatware and had a very bad performance, we could feel the performance of XP with it to decline significantly, to the point that I didn't at the time know if it was best to have a virus running or having Norton installed...

Also I will never forget the nightmare it was to uninstall Norton crap..

3 anti-virus who I love, use and recommend to family, friends and at work..

Kasperky, Nod32 and Microsoft security essentials...

We have mcAfee at work and I can NOT believe the performance PDF on that site.

dec 2009 performance results (PDF)

Launching Applications....(PDF subsequent runs : very fast for mcafee??)

My laptop at work takes forever to bootup, P8400 4GB of RAM windows XP, 30minutes before I'm logged in and at the desktop

(and able to click something!!! it sucks big time, and that is before "HDD pointsec is installed" degrading performance even more!)

(over 60 processes running in taskmanager and over 17k of handles in use, 565MB commit, and the user has not touched the desktop or launched any programs)

Opening a PDF the first time takes forever, but a second time takes just as long sometimes even longer than the first time!...

I just don't get their "performance" results.

We have mcAfee at work and I can NOT believe the performance PDF on that site.

dec 2009 performance results (PDF)

Launching Applications....(PDF subsequent runs : very fast for mcafee??)

My laptop at work takes forever to bootup, P8400 4GB of RAM windows XP, 30minutes before I'm logged in and at the desktop

(and able to click something!!! it sucks big time, and that is before "HDD pointsec is installed" degrading performance even more!)

(over 60 processes running in taskmanager and over 17k of handles in use, 565MB commit, and the user has not touched the desktop or launched any programs)

Opening a PDF the first time takes forever, but a second time takes just as long sometimes even longer than the first time!...

I just don't get their "performance" results.

Sounds like there's a lot of stuff wrong with that PC. I wouldn't blame all of it on McAffee.

Sounds like there's a lot of stuff wrong with that PC. I wouldn't blame all of it on McAffee.

Indeed, something not quite right there.

Radish?

I think Avira would have grabbed the title again if it didn't throw up so many false positives. Having said that though, Avira's false positives are quite overstated - if you know what you are doing then they don't cause any issues at all. For the average user though - I would certainly recommend Kaspersky or NOD32 over Symantec... I'm going to have to take a proper look at the report at some point and see what their reasoning was.

its perfectly fine product now ,

Yes, their Norton products have become a lot, lot better from what I have heard. I may have to check out a trial once my Avira sub expires. I would try it out on my laptop - but I love MSE too much :laugh:

The 2008 and 2009 products have been excellent, but I'm on Security Essentials now and it would take a serious flaw to get me to leave.

Totally agree. I used NAV 2009 too and it was great.

Norton 2009 products are brilliant (Including Norton 360). Anybody that has the opinion that 'Norton slows your PC down' are seriously mistaken.

Norton 2009 products are brilliant (Including Norton 360). Anybody that has the opinion that 'Norton slows your PC down' are seriously mistaken.

Norton 360 is absolutely wonderful. I'm running v3.0 Premier Edition and am thrilled with what it offers (in terms of protection and usability).

So much hate! alot of people can't seem to accept the AV they loved to hate is now actually good :p NAV/NIS 2009/2010 are a great step forward for Symantec and proof they can make a decent AV when they try, let's hope they keep up the good work :)

Symantec products are total crap. They embed themselves in every part of your O/S and slow your machine down considerably. I have seen viruses that don't do as much damage to your O/S as Symantec prodcuts.

There are MUCH better products that run much faster and are lighter weight for FREE that make Symantec look like crap!

Admittedly some OEMs do bundle some copies of Norton which is infuriating - but at least Symantec offer a removal tool which strips them out of any system without any issues.

But what you're describing is past behaviour, however. Which is what my post was getting at. The new versions of Norton are faster and have a smaller footprint on systems than most AV products out there as of late. I know you'd never consider it because you've got that mindset that once you go free, you don't go back! But still, thought I'd let you know that things have changed since you last checked out a Norton product.

We have it at work and I installed it on my home PC's and I am so in love with it. Smooth and effective just like ESET :)

Symantec products are total crap. They embed themselves in every part of your O/S and slow your machine down considerably. I have seen viruses that don't do as much damage to your O/S as Symantec prodcuts.

There are MUCH better products that run much faster and are lighter weight for FREE that make Symantec look like crap!

Living in the past I see ...

Been using it for two years now. Very happy with it!