Skinnable Command line

This is a freeware program that a friend of mine made called Dterm. What's cool about it is that's like the XP CLI but it's skinnable by the system. It also means it can be affected by programs that alter the transparency of a window.

Here's a link to it:

DTerm 1.03

Have fun!

No problem.

I'm looking for something else cool I used to have around here that was made available freely - an OpenGL based shell where your desktop was actually 3D using OpenGL. It was really neat (and free). Still trying to find it.

btw, it's not skinnable but it's transparent, completely configurable via XML, has a .inf file that you can install so you can right click on any windown and open a command line there and kicks all azz. ;)

do you mean econsole

it is skinnable by XP

it can also be set with any image for it's background

it can use many fonts, colors, and sizes

multiple different animated cursors

varying levels of independant transparency for the background

stretched, tiled or relative backgrounds

it's the best oh yeah and the little open console from here right click thing also all the settins for cmd are available including tab complete

it's right here

here's a couple pics

colors_1.gif

cmd.jpg

oh yeah and Frogboy is this the 3D desktop thing????

here

There's a beeter one out there I can't remember what it's called but it was a full shell replacement not just a desktop let me know and if I have to I'll hunt it down

That's actually not th eone I was thinking of but that's pretty cool.

I found the one I was thinking of this morning, will post it in a sec.

i actually was hoping to find a little app to enter commands, rather than a whole command window. you know like in litestep. usually a plugin that makes a skinnable and dockable iten where you can just enter commands. would be nice not to have to go to the start panel>run... just to enter a command or start a system app.

There are some small apps that will do that aardanos, I've even seen one that is a "plugin" to the taskbar, so you can just type commands into the taskbar. I forget whats its called, but it's out there :)

btw Frogboy, I have known about Dterm for quite awhile, nice little program, but it has some bugs :( The author has given up the source, so why dont you work on it frogboy? The major bug I have is sometimes it lags and you have to press a button for it to continue displaying what you typed. Other then that its nice, and as for console, sure it gives you real transparency, but with that it becomes a pain in the ass, slowing down windows that drag over that area :( and all the other alphablending issues.

I have also used Lokaish for a long time frogboy, I love it :) But it also needs some updating. I have so many ideas for that lil bugger, maybe I should email the guy :)

Chris

also the text shadowing slows it down A LOT for me.. and i think you should have it do the whole window transparent, not just the console. like a windowfx thing, so you can have it over an ie and still see the ie in the background.. dunno if you can do that just in the console part and not for the borders..

Krazie, thats because it's using fake transparency, it's just repainting the wallpaper inside the console, wheras that other console program will actually alphablend (see everything behind it) But alphablending has some major bugs that come along with it :) Well not bugs really, but its just too slow right now.

but it doesn't do the same thing I downloaded it it's short on alot of the options and customizability the only thing it does that e-console doesn't is alphablending but it's really short on the other options like setting it to have a relative background as oppsed to using transparency so you get better performance. Not to mention you cant turn the borders on it's really not the same at all

leatitia casta I have another copy of the sam BG but instead of the E logo it has a faded zoom in on the win XP flag I use it a work with a complementing linux desktop with her on it as well here's my linux desktop I have one on the left and one on the right

linuxdesk.jpg