Swype 3 Is Available for a Limited Time

Swype 3 Adds Friendlier Text Prediction to the Gesture-Based Android Keyboard, Is Available for a Limited Time

The new text prediction may not seem revolutionary, since it's pretty much the same horizontal bar that's in every other Android keyboard. However, it does make a huge difference in how easy Swype is to use. In old versions of Swype, you had to double-tap a word, which would bring up a popup window from which you could choose the word you actually wanted. Not only was this kind of annoying, but didn't work great with Gingerbread's new text management features. In version 3, all you need to do is single-tap on a word and pick your correction from the top row on the keyboard. Plus, it works great for switching back and forth between tapping and swiping. If you've been frustrated with Swype in the past, you'll definitely want to check out this new version. It's so much easier to use.

The new version also brings support for Android tablets, a much easier registration process, and a bunch of other enhancements. Plus, the beta is open once again...

http://lifehacker.com/5811893/swype-3-for-android-adds-more-friendly-text-prediction-is-available-for-a-limited-time

In old versions of Swype, you had to double-tap a word, which would bring up a popup window from which you could choose the word you actually wanted. Not only was this kind of annoying, but didn't work great with Gingerbread's new text management features. In version 3, all you need to do is single-tap on a word and pick your correction from the top row on the keyboard.

So what happens if I need to put a single letter in the middle of a word which has appeared?

I have to retype the whole word?

Now that would be annoying.

See if I can get on the Beta this time.

So what happens if I need to put a single letter in the middle of a word which has appeared?

I have to retype the whole word?

Now that would be annoying.

See if I can get on the Beta this time.

To insert a letter into the middle (or anywhere) of a word, you would first click the word. This brings the cursor to the end of the word and brings up the list of alternate words to choose. You would then just drag the cursor to the position in the word where you would like to enter a letter. It's slightly annoying to do, but that doesn't happen very often, for me anyway. It is a really nice method of choosing alternate words though, so I'm happy.

Also, about the tablet version... It's not great. It really seems to have a hard time getting the words I want, they don't even appear as an alternate word in the list. I've had to manually tap in several words to actually get them to come up, and even then it has a problem when I try swyping them again. There seems to be something off with it. It has some promise and I may go back to it after a future update, but I'm back to the standard Honeycomb keyboard for now.

Yeah can't say I'm liking it too much tbh.

Also noting quite a bit in text/whatsapp ebuddy that the words im swyping aren't even entering in the text box then having to close and reopen the window/program.

Gotta say I have love for 3.0. Seems to work better for methan the previous version on my rooted desire

So on my Droid X I def have swype but reading the FAQ it appears I cannot download this new version - "If your phone came pre-installed with Swype

DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)"