iOS5 faster than Mango at HTML5 rendering? Wrong!

Winrumors have claimed that the latest version of iOS5 has overtaken Windows Phone 7 Mango in the HTML5 speed rendering stakes, going from 1-2 fps to 32 fps, faster than the 25 fps demonstrated for Mango at MIX11.

What Tom has not taken into account was that Mango has continued to improve itself, and in testing done by The Next Web Windows Phone 7 repeatedly hit 41 FPS, and this is of course with a Snapdragon processor generations older than that in the iPhone 4.

While it seems the iPhone did a lot to catch up with Windows Phone 7 in iOS5, like with many other features Apple stole from Windows Phone 7 Apple still has a long way to go to do it better.

Read more at The Next Web here.

http://wmpoweruser.com/ios5-faster-than-mango-at-html5-rendering-wrong/

post-345940-0-16218800-1308740167.png

post-345940-0-73052500-1308740278.png

Someones forgetting that iOS 5 is in beta. Generally I find iOS5 slower than 4, but I still wouldn't comment on actual performance until it has been officially released!

Someones forgetting that iOS 5 is in beta. Generally I find iOS5 slower than 4, but I still wouldn't comment on actual performance until it has been officially released!

I just did that same test as the OP images link to.

IOS5 iPhone 4 and I got 19fps

Someones forgetting that Mango's beta hasn't even started!!

And Mango is in?

Has Mango been released either?

I just did that same test as the OP images link to.

IOS5 iPhone 4 and I got 19fps

No one should be running benchmarks on beta software, especially an OS, it's madness and really is just there to incite the idiots.

By all means run the benchmarks on release and start slagging it off then, no worries! But to do so before hand is just moronic.

Has Mango been released either?

Didn't know mango hadn't been released, but my point stands doubly so, you're comparing TWO BETAS, both of which could change before release... Still moronic to do so.

Again this is just to incite the apple-haters. Wait till release of both, do the comparison and let the flame war begin!

No one should be running benchmarks on beta software, especially an OS, it's madness and really is just there to incite the idiots.

By all means run the benchmarks on release and start slagging it off then, no worries! But to do so before hand is just moronic.

Didn't know mango hadn't been released, but my point stands doubly so, you're comparing TWO BETAS, both of which could change before release... Still moronic to do so.

Again this is just to incite the apple-haters. Wait till release of both, do the comparison and let the flame war begin!

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with this and it doesn't have to result in a flame war. What it shows is that Microsoft have done eveyone a favour by dramatically raising the stakes in the mobile internet performance race and now Apple are working hard to catch up. it might be beta software but at least we know that the two companies are working on improving peformance and the final releases should be even better.

I agree no-one should be running benchmarks against beta software but that was never my aim. The point here is that MSFT demonstrated beta Mango software against an iPhone 4 with iOS 4. My aim was to just show that iOS 5 is now a lot better, just weeks after MSFT last demoed iOS 4 performing badly. Now that Apple has iOS 5 beta it seems to be catching up and in most cases surpassing the performance of existing Windows Phone devices with Mango. Thenextweb found that the Samsung Focus performs better than iOS 5. However, both the Trophy and ASUS E600 perform worse. It's clear there's still optimization and work to be done but it's also strange that one device has much better performance than the others.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with this and it doesn't have to result in a flame war. What it shows is that Microsoft have done eveyone a favour by dramatically raising the stakes in the mobile internet performance race and now Apple are working hard to catch up. it might be beta software but at least we know that the two companies are working on improving peformance and the final releases should be even better.

Yup! +1 :yes:

I agree no-one should be running benchmarks against beta software but that was never my aim.

I don't agree with your first statement. They tell about the company's current level. Didn't we had IE Previews to know how much level MS had achieved. I think they are alright for bench-marking, since they are subject change just like the stable release.

I wasn't aware i was slagging anything off? Just giving my record vs the screenshot record (19fps for me vs 31fps in screenshot)

Real world tests.. any harm done?

While it seems the iPhone did a lot to catch up with Windows Phone 7 in iOS5, like with many other features Apple stole from Windows Phone 7 Apple still has a long way to go to do it better.

Yeah, Apple copied the feature "faster browser" from Microsoft. Microsoft should patent it and sue Apple until they go bankrupt

This'll probably be a back-and-forth HTML5 performance war (which I love :D).

One thing that's always been consistent with iOS betas though: they run like ass in comparison to the final product.

Apple FUD as usual. Nothing to see here, move along people. Hope iOShit die a slow and painful death like Blackberry.

Did you bother to read where the 'faster' claims were coming from (or even anything other than the title of the thread for that matter)?

Apple FUD as usual. Nothing to see here, move along people. Hope iOShit die a slow and painful death like Blackberry.

As much as I hate iOS, I hope it survives, and it certainly will. With a big name like Apple, iOS is here to stay. More mobile OS's = more choice. Choice = competition. Competition = better products. Better products = consumers win

You don't expect to be taken seriously with all those BS posts of yours, do you?

Great to see WP7 is getting better and better. I really love the concept but it wasn't quite there yet when they released it first. Now, with Mango, things are about to change and WP7 is slowly but surely becoming a real competitor for Android and iOS.