Photo

Modern gaming - windows XP or windows 7?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#1 kingius

kingius

Neowinian

• 81 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 13:42

If you were going to get a gaming machine for today and the future... which OS would you pick?

I've been someone out of PC gaming for a while now, preferring to play older games on a Netbook that has served me well. However, it just isn't powerful enough to play some of the games that I'd like to play, such as the sequals to the X franchise and so I'm looking at picking up a new PC in the future with gaming in mind. And not just older titles, I'd like it to be powerful enough to run any game today.

This is largely a hardware issue, granted, but the OS itself will come into it. Is windows XP still supported on new games releases? A quick web search on Dungeon Siege 3 shows that game supports it (I'm fond of the original Dungeon Siege and still have that). Or do other forum members swear by Windows 7?

#2 Nikv

Nikv

Neowinian Senior

• 1,506 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 13:45

If you were going to get a gaming machine for today and the future... which OS would you pick?

I've been someone out of PC gaming for a while now, preferring to play older games on a Netbook that has served me well. However, it just isn't powerful enough to play some of the games that I'd like to play, such as the sequals to the X franchise and so I'm looking at picking up a new PC in the future with gaming in mind. And not just older titles, I'd like it to be powerful enough to run any game today.

This is largely a hardware issue, granted, but the OS itself will come into it. Is windows XP still supported on new games releases? A quick web search on Dungeon Siege 3 shows that game supports it (I'm fond of the original Dungeon Siege and still have that). Or do other forum members swear by Windows 7?

Games will be supported by XP for quite a while i imagine

It's the direct x 11(?) that's the problem.

#3 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,225 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 13:46

I don't know why anyone at this point would want windows xp for gaming

#4 daniel_rh

daniel_rh

Daniel R. H.

• 1,505 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIV i9500

Posted 23 June 2011 - 13:48

If your talk about modern, Windows 7, and W7 is as good on gaming as XP

#5 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

• 1,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 13:51

7 all the way. I see no reason whatsoever for XP.
The fact that xp doesn't support DX 10 or 11 should be enough in itself. Your gonna want them more and more in the future especially if your getting quite a powerfull system.

#6 Jen Smith

Jen Smith

Gone

• 1,446 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 13:53

If you're building a system with the future in mind, installing a legacy OS that's 10 years old is just silly, especially when it's end of life is rapidly approaching. Windows 7, its a no brainer. Usually better performance and always better features. "Modern" and "XP" shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

#7 Siddharth Prabhu

Siddharth Prabhu

Neowinian

• 116 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 13:58

Modern gaming demands a modern OS. Why would you ever want to use Windows XP as your primary OS today?

#8 Packet1009

Packet1009

Neowinian

• 497 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:01

At some point, supporting an older os is more than its worth.

7 x64, to its credit, supports older games very well - even games from 1997 (Total Annihilation and Jane's WW2 Fighters come to mind immediately as personal examples)

#9 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

• 2,350 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:02

Win 7!

XP is a decade old and is on life supprt… XP can't even utilize modern hardware as efficient as Vista for that matter…

#10 OP kingius

kingius

Neowinian

• 81 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:20

Win 7!

XP is a decade old and is on life supprt… XP can't even utilize modern hardware as efficient as Vista for that matter…

Thanks for the replies, you're helping to push me towards Windows 7, which I know has a good reputation. I'm a fan of Windows XP - the third OS that Microsoft really got right in my experience (the other two being Windows 95* and Windows 2000) - and continue to run it to this day.

I really appreciate the advice from everyone here, so a big thanks.

*Messing about with config.sys and autoexec.bat and custom startup disks to get Moonstone - and others - working - excepted!

#11 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:24

If you are going old enough for games like moonstone (which is a great game)

Get a VM pc with XP running or if they are REALLY old use Dosbox

#12 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,419 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:31

Windows XP is supriorlly faster then W7 (Anyone that tells you otherwise is an IDIOT as W7 has much more processing, more security etc.) but Windows XP has less security, less multi-thread/core compatibility, no DirectX 10 or 11 support, and drivers aren't designed to be optimised for XP anymore, plus it's old, go with W7 and dual boot XP if you need it for old games like dungeon keeper, etc.

#13 AnotherITguy

AnotherITguy

Neowinian

• 980 posts
  • Phone: Iphone 5C 16GB

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:36

Or you could be smart about it and buy WINDOWS 7 PRO which comes with XP MODE which essentially is a free copy of XP inside a virtual machine.

P.S: To the guy above, XP in no way shape or form is faster than 7 ive done the testing and its not even close.

#14 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 5,158 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:38

Windows 7. I've not run into a game that doesn't run under it, and typically get a faster framerate than XP too. XP might clock in a hair faster than 7 in raw CPU performance on a synthetic benchmark just because 7 is doing more under the hood.. real world/gaming using XP is noticably slower. Even old stuff from the Windows 95 era runs, and for the really old stuff there's DOSBox. No dual booting required, zero need for XP. For the new features there's no point even considering XP anymore as it just won't run on XP.

#15 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,419 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:39

Or you could be smart about it and buy WINDOWS 7 PRO which comes with XP MODE which essentially is a free copy of XP inside a virtual machine.

P.S: To the guy above, XP in no way shape or form is faster than 7 ive done the testing and its not even close.

You do understand how code is executed on a processor right, in that, more code to run = takes more time?
Now then, compare the code that's in windows 7 to windows XP, windows 7 has MUCH more features which comes at a cost of execution code space increasing.

CPUs have things like 256KB L2 cache's for storing 256KB of instructions at a time, now, if you agree with physics, common sense and what we've been relying on for the whole of humanity, you too will agree that less executable code will execute faster than larger executable code thus making windows XP faster and quicker to run itself than windows 7.

Many thanks.