Modern gaming - windows XP or windows 7?

XP belong to pentium Era ,

we are in Core Era for god sake!!!!

beside you would get Zero Software Support in the near future.

Weird. It's running just fine here.

post-374862-0-54542500-1308854057.png

Again he was asking about modern gaming, not a game from 1997, but are there any others that are supposedly unplayable?

Isn't DosBox an emulator?

XP belong to pentium Era ,

we are in Core Era for god sake!!!!

My quadcore cpu runs great on XP :D

beside you would get Zero Software Support in the near future.

Microsoft said that last time, but extended the support again. As long as 50% of windows users and 80%+ of business are on XP, support will not cease. Just look at IE6.

Is Crysis 2 not a modern game? That was 9.0c only on release. Most popular games target consoles, thus there's little impetus to implement features that only a small minority can take advantage of.

Why are you so intent on holding on to the fact that Crysis is DX9 only? I can name 10 new games that support DX10/11 for every one you can say only supports DX9.

By the way, XP SP3 was released in 2008. That added many features. And Directx is updated on a monthly basis (including 9.0c).

What new features did SP3 add?

There's no guarantee of that. Why do you think Microsoft went to all the trouble of including an XP mode in some editions?

There are many reasons why they have XP Mode. Mainly to get people off the idea that they need XP namely for legacy software which is not what the OP asked for.

As long as XP has over 50% of Windows users, and businesses continue to use it, there will be support, including from Microsoft.

Wrong. Most new systems from OEMs do not include XP drivers let alone XP as an option. Support is dwindling. Also, Microsoft support for XP has officially ended for consumers as of 2009.

You can run DX10 on XP unofficially, but to be honest, there's little point at the moment because [game] support for it is limited.

Yay for workarounds. :rolleyes:

If you were going to get a gaming machine for today and the future... which OS would you pick?

I've been someone out of PC gaming for a while now, preferring to play older games on a Netbook that has served me well. However, it just isn't powerful enough to play some of the games that I'd like to play, such as the sequals to the X franchise and so I'm looking at picking up a new PC in the future with gaming in mind. And not just older titles, I'd like it to be powerful enough to run any game today.

This is largely a hardware issue, granted, but the OS itself will come into it. Is windows XP still supported on new games releases? A quick web search on Dungeon Siege 3 shows that game supports it (I'm fond of the original Dungeon Siege and still have that). Or do other forum members swear by Windows 7?

I actually still like playing Ghost Recon and on Steam it says only works on XP. I haven't tried in Windows 7, but that being said, if you REALLY like a lot of original games, then maybe best to stay with XP, but in general Win7 will be your better choice. You could also dual-boot, or if you have a lower-spec machine, put XP on it, and Win7 on your REAL gaming machine.

Weird. It's running just fine here.

post-374862-0-54542500-1308854057.png

Again he was asking about modern gaming, not a game from 1997, but are there any others that are supposedly unplayable?

Hey guess what, he mentioned moonstone, which is an old game that doesn't run natively in Windows 7, neither does dungeon keeper, strange that because both run NATIVELY in windows XP.

I mean it's odd because I've got deuterous running in windows xp too... Oh no wait, I don't, I've got it running on a program emulating functions and calls of an atari which is running on the host os, which isn't the host OS running it all, it's being interpreted on-the-fly, which is quite slow and sloppy.

Is Crysis 2 not a modern game? That was 9.0c only on release. Most popular games target consoles, thus there's little impetus to implement features that only a small minority can take advantage of.

Which also runs on Windows 7, meanwhile you're ignoring the games that are available now that do take advantage of the advanced features, along with ignoring anything that may come out down the road. (And as posted above, there's already one that's DX10 only.)

By the way, XP SP3 was released in 2008. That added many features. And Directx is updated on a monthly basis (including 9.0c).

Yes, as an MSDN subscriber I'm well aware of the release cycles. SP3 was released in 2008. XP itself was not. 2001. It's still XP. A service pack is a collection of patches. It's not a new OS. It's still version 5.1, or 5.2 if you're on x64/2K3.

There's no guarantee of that. Why do you think Microsoft went to all the trouble of including an XP mode in some editions?

XP mode is a virtual machine, and hardly suited for gaming. I've also yet to run into any game that doesn't run under 7 that did in XP.

As long as XP has over 50% of Windows users, and businesses continue to use it, there will be support, including from Microsoft.

Until 2014. Then there is no support from Microsoft. At all. And chances are, no third party support either. (Oh, and IE6 isn't supported either.) Be like begging them to write a driver for your new video card so it runs in Windows 95. Good luck with that.

You can run DX10 on XP unofficially, but to be honest, there's little point at the moment because [game] support for it is limited.

You mean the Alky Project? I don't think so. Not even stable or feature complete, let alone having a random third party messing with the guts of the OS? No thanks.

Isn't DosBox an emulator?

Yes it is. He's showing the game running on Windows 7. The native Windows build isn't that great, didn't even properly support Direct3D out of the box. What benefits are you going to achieve with the native Windows version? That's one example, I can fire up dozens of games I have installed right now from the same era that do work properly. Gimp your system for one relic of a game? That's absurd. And as he pointed out... 1997 isn't exactly modern gaming.

Hey guess what, he mentioned moonstone, which is an old game that doesn't run natively in Windows 7, neither does dungeon keeper, strange that because both run NATIVELY in windows XP.

Are you kidding me? Moonstone is a MSDOS game. DOSBox and be done with it, or is someone going to suggest Windows 95 next because hey, it runs on MSDOS for "modern" gaming too?

quite slow and sloppy.

I'm pretty sure the total processing power of a modern computer compensates for some overhead which is all an emulator adds. :rolleyes:

do you know that upto 80% of bushiness are going to switch in year term (the thread is here somewhere btw)

beside XP marketshare is at 38% now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

more and more games going DX10+

making Crysis 2 Dx9 was slippy slop .......

expect the devs to cut DX9 support , soon enough

XP + Modern gaming = cannot compute

another example of no DX9/XP(ired)

Shattered horizon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattered_Horizon

I'm pretty sure the total processing power of a modern computer compensates for some overhead which is all an emulator adds. :rolleyes:

Syndicate wars runs smoothy on a 500Mhz single core yet still lags in dosbox on a Q6700.

Win7 x64 FTW

The decade old XP is not modern and doesn't even take advantage of DX10/11 cards

Syndicate wars runs smoothy on a 500Mhz single core yet still lags in dosbox on a Q6700.

What decade are you living in dude? :laugh:

Moonstone was released in 1991 for MS-DOS. DOSBox. Next?

What decade are you living in dude? :laugh:

I've got it installed in dosbox on linux and windows 7, on 640x480 graphics mode, it lags, not to mention there is a bug after a while where the mouse cursor freezes and you have to terminate dosbox.

I've got it installed in dosbox on linux and windows 7, on 640x480 graphics mode, it lags, not to mention there is a bug after a while where the mouse cursor freezes and you have to terminate dosbox.

Then throw on VirtualBox and MSDOS. Still doesn't mean anything for modern gaming, I don't know why people keep on throwing relics from the last century into the mix.

Boo hoo. What do I care if you want to live two decades in the past? Might as well use an OS to match. Whatever man. :laugh:

Then throw on VirtualBox and MSDOS. Still doesn't mean anything for modern gaming, I don't know why people keep on throwing relics from the last century into the mix.

their brain had bluescreen of death in 31/12/1999 11:59PM

they didn't reboot as of yet , so don't blame them

:rofl:

It's like saying in an old geezer voice: "Why won't this here 8-track fit in my new car"

Boo hoo. What do I care if you want to live two decades in the past? Might as well use an OS to match. Whatever man. :laugh:

Hey, I've got a great idea that goes with your style, **** everyone not on 100Mbps broadband! They're living in the past, let's make it so all websites only work with 100Mbps+ connections and IPv6, sod anyone on slower broadband or 56K or those without IPv6... </s>

Hey, I've got a great idea that goes with your style, **** everyone not on 100Mbps broadband! They're living in the past, let's make it so all websites only work with 100Mbps+ connections and IPv6, sod anyone on slower broadband or 56K or those without IPv6... </s>

Except..no. Not even the country averaging the fastest broadband speeds reaches three quarters of 100Mbps. Pretty sure most PC users are using something newer than XP ;)

If you want to live in the past like Flawed then fine but don't expect everyone else to think the same. XP is a decade old, lacks support for more than 4GB of RAM (PAE is nothing more than a hack), lacks support for x64 processors (XP 64-bit supports practically no hardware let alone todays hardware), lacks DX10+ support (The Alky Project can seriously **** up your system) and completely lacks support for ALL of todays hardware.

So tell me, why bother recommending XP for a MODERN system for MODERN gaming?

Aside from being absurd (and a poor analogy) the old games still are playable under Windows 7. It's primarily the old old OLD MS-DOS stuff that needs emulation now, and frankly, so what? It still runs, and it's not like you're going to see something new come out down the road that has a "Requires MS-DOS 5" sticker on the box. Throw on the fact that some MS-DOS games will require DOSBox or a VM anyway, as if the game required a particular extended memory manager to run, it's guaranteed that it will not run under XP or 7. Ever.

The OP was asking about modern gaming, not which OS was the best for some old junk I found on a 5.25" while cleaning out the attic one mid-summer afternoon.

It's like saying in an old geezer voice: "Why won't this here 8-track fit in my new car"

Gee thanks for that, I still have some Aerosmith 8-tracks somewhere in storage *sniff*

You guys suggesting XP are just plain dumb. This isn't a question. Get Windows 7.

Except for the fact that he specifically mentions an older game . . .

If it runs then fine, use Win7, but some games just don't correctly. I suggest Win7 whenever possible, but in a few situations, it's just not the BEST solution.

Hey guess what, he mentioned moonstone, which is an old game that doesn't run natively in Windows 7

Except for the fact that he specifically mentions an older game . . .

I think some people need to re-read the thread; at no point did the OP say he still wants to play Moonstone, he was merely saying that having to make boot floppies for games in the 95 era was one of the drawbacks at the time...

*snip*

I'm a fan of Windows XP - the third OS that Microsoft really got right in my experience (the other two being Windows 95* and Windows 2000)

*snip*

*Messing about with config.sys and autoexec.bat and custom startup disks to get Moonstone - and others - working - excepted!