12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever

Oh yeah? Try to remove IE and will we see you after next pc re-format :)

Wouldn't be a smart move as the IE engine is essentially part of the Windows API, plus some third party programs rely on it. You can remove all references to the browser itself however and never see it if thats your thing.

Can anyone actually come up with a decent reason to use IE9 over other browsers ?

They like it. Some people actually like to make up their own mind versus listening to the Neowin fanboy consensus to make up their minds for them.

Oh yeah? Try to remove IE and will we see you after next pc re-format :)

What a completely stupid and idiotic thing to say, you know that stripping IE out of Windows is impossible without vlite.

Wouldn't be a smart move as the IE engine is essentially part of the Windows API, plus some third party programs rely on it. You can remove all references to the browser itself however and never see it if thats your thing.

That's what I meant :)

They like it. Some people actually like to make up their own mind versus listening to the Neowin fanboy consensus to make up their minds for them.

Well said, I use IE because it has Hardware Acceleration that actually works and is enabled by default, unlike Firefox which has it built in but disabled or Chrome which has no Hardware Acceleration at all.

That's what I meant :)

That's not what you meant at all. Go on, try uninstalling Chrome completely and see what I mean.

That's not what you meant at all. Go on, try uninstalling Chrome completely and see what I mean.

Just did. If u cant do manually, try revo uninstaller. No traces here of Chrome. Tried on my Windows and OSX and both clean. Will format and reinstall.

BTW removed IE 9 here and IE 8 is usable now, but my Steam has stopped working after that. See what I mean? Wierd things happen when u remove IE.

Speed? :huh:

FFv6 is actually rather fast. Not the absolute fastest no, but it's no turkey either. But there's more to a good browser than raw performance. Chromium for example has a ton of little things that I flat out hate about it, benchmarking a little faster won't sway me into switching away from Aurora, Chromium's probably my least favorite of all the browsers out there. I'm of a same mind with IE.. if you like it then by all means use it, it's definitely a worthwhile update and not the old IE6 that the haters can't seem to stop mentioning, but it's not for me.

Well I tried installing it on my Vista hard drive that I keep in a drawer to play WoW occasionally, and I gave it an honest, objective try. It's a clean system that rarely sees use and has all of the latest Windows Updates installed. In the first day it randomly stopped responding at least 4 or 5 times while I was surfing. No questionable sites or anything, and it didn't always crash on the same sites. Is this a known issue?

by the way, stats about browsers flaws:

IE 8: 98 flaws in 2.5 years

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/21625/

Firefox 3.6: 122 flaws in 1.5 year

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/28698/

chrome 1 to 13: 200+ flaws in 2 years

for example:

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/34150/ (chrome 9: 58 flaws)

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/34532/ (chrome 10: 33 flaws)

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/33215/ (chrome 8: 25 flaws)

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/30134/ (chrome 5: 56 flaws)

(not listing every chrome version)

even funier, firefox has had more flaws these last 5 years than IE6 since it was introduced 10 years ago!

and no, firefox has no magical technology that makes it safer than IE on XP! (it is actually way less safe than IE on vista/7 because of the lack of sandbox)

It's NOT a great browser! It's the easiest to hack and that I can assure you as a malware writer. Most exploits from IE 7 or 8 (even some from 6) works on IE 9. That's crap.

lol! sounds like someone is saying bull**** here!

IE's sandbox (on vista/7) has been broken for the first time this year (2011), even though it has been introduced in 2006! (as did google chrome's sandbox a month after pwn2own contest!)

firefox/safari/opera are not sandboxed at all, and you want us to believe you are "easily" hacking IE, even though hackers who won the Pwn2Own contest said that IE is very hard to hack?

https://www.neowin.net/news/charlie-miller-windows-7--ie-8-or-chrome-provides-safest-computing-experience

• Like 3

Well I tried installing it on my Vista hard drive that I keep in a drawer to play WoW occasionally, and I gave it an honest, objective try. It's a clean system that rarely sees use and has all of the latest Windows Updates installed. In the first day it randomly stopped responding at least 4 or 5 times while I was surfing. No questionable sites or anything, and it didn't always crash on the same sites. Is this a known issue?

It's hard to say. Why don't you start by telling us what it was you installed :laugh:

and no, firefox has no magical technology that makes it safer than IE on XP! (it is actually way less safe than IE on vista/7 because of the lack of sandbox)

Unless of course you're using a sandbox/jail type of system that works with any program.

lol! sounds like someone is saying bull**** here!

That seems to be a consistent problem with all his posts in this thread ;)

I use Firefox but if IE9 offered the same sort of extension support I'd happily switch to it because it's a great browser. It's fast, secure, stable and good looking (I admit that last one's subjective but I think IE9 is much better looking than all the other browser's, especially the latest versions of Firefox with that stupid orange button). In many respects, it i or has been well ahead of the competition in a number of important areas (hardware acceleration, tracking protection, sandboxing, running tabs in separate processes, pinable sites, etc.) .

I just can't understand why the IE team don't spend more time developing a decent extensions framework as that's clearly a feature that users find attractive, both in FF and Chrome. Reputation aside, I honestly think that that's the one big thing holding IE back at this stage.

Of course, any discussion regarding IE is going to be full of FUD.

1. I don't use Windows.

There, no other reasons needed.

Then why bother posting if you've got nothing to add?

Well said, I use IE because it has Hardware Acceleration that actually works and is enabled by default, unlike Firefox which has it built in but disabled or Chrome which has no Hardware Acceleration at all.

dude, i think you need to get your facts straight about chrome, it's had Hardware Acceleration since version 12 (you had to enable it manually back in that version but it is now enabled by default and still being improved upon)

though I will say IE9 currently has the best hardware acceleration

The thing is MS has been too focused on looks lately and not really adding many features to IE.

Sure you can get a few mediocre "add ons" to IE but they will never compare to FF's addons.

This is why IE isn't doing too well as well.

The thing is MS has been too focused on looks lately and not really adding many features to IE.

Sure you can get a few mediocre "add ons" to IE but they will never compare to FF's addons.

This is why IE isn't doing too well as well.

as ive said many times im not a fan of everything microsoft going with the tile / metro look.

It doesnt matters how much vulns it has and yes which ones! A super-mega blackhat underground xploit that 3 crackers in whole world can perform probably cant harm ur browser cause they tend to be specific to some targets but that tons of vulns kiddies does everyday can. That's IE issue, weak on the most popular issues. But nvm, use it then.

Ignorance is a bless. Users will always be users. Cya.