12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever

I just can't believe that are people still standing up for IE.

It's a great browser (IE9), i'm sick and tired of people hating on IE because it's "cool" to.

Sorry, all of those are moot to me. I have to use it because it just works in SharePoint at work while all of the other browsers do not render as well nor have all of the functionality.

It's a great browser (IE9), i'm sick and tired of people hating on IE because it's "cool" to.

It's NOT a great browser! It's the easiest to hack and that I can assure you as a malware writer. Most exploits from IE 7 or 8 (even some from 6) works on IE 9. That's crap.

Personally I don't use it because of the image it used to have. Old habits die hard. That said, even if I wanted to use it I wouldn't be able to use IE 9, so for those reasons I stick with Firefox and Chrome.

EDIT: The bit about changing the browser on the sly made me smile. Sneaky, I should have done the same thing for my grandparents when I set their system up. I installed Firefox but I'm pretty sure they just go for the icon that says "Internet."

Yep, sure does, I'm using it right now with the 64 bit Debian port of Sun Java and it's working just dandy.

post-125978-0-06955900-1309772614.png

Holy crappy font rendering Batman!!

I hate on IE because it's an insecure POS "browser", not because it's "cool"

I hate on IE because it's an insecure POS "browser", not because it's "cool"

How? Every browser has problems.

but my personal experience is that Chrome has for quite some time been the most secure browser.

Incorrect. Lynx, links, etc. are the most secure browsers

How? Every browser has problems.

Which browser is immediately thought of when ANY browser based attack or malware pops up?

Failed to answer my question.

I wasn't answering anyway. But since u asked, I've already did on my last post, telling about the malwares and exploits. Also MS uses schedule updates on IE as the article says. That's nonsense and poor.

Which browser is immediately thought of when ANY browser based attack or malware pops up?

Oh I know, I know! It's Safari, isn't it? Oooops...

Edited by Colin-uk

HIs 11th point about 32/64 bit is unfair. Chrome doesn't even have a 64 bit version, as far as I know.

It's not that unfair. On Windows 7 64bits there's 2 version of IE installed with the OS. A 32bits version and a 64bits version. Both exe share the same filename as far as i know. Very hard for Joe Blow to know which version is used and running.

It's not really MS fault as when Windows 7 was released about everything on the web was 32bits. Still might be confusing to have 2 versions of a software installed at once.

The main reasons i switched to Firefox was the speed of IE6 and 7 (both was slow with some of web apps i'm owrking on), the time it took for MS to implement tabs (seriously), the extensions (or lack of) and the lack of support of web standards.

The reasons i switched to Chrome is the speed and memory leak problem of Firefox.

IE 9 improved but i think the lack of extensions is still hurting. It's really easy to find, install and update extensions with Firefox. It's really well done.

Yep, sure does, I'm using it right now with the 64 bit Debian port of Sun Java and it's working just dandy.

Well, is there a 64-bit version of Chrome for Windows?

No, there isn't.

jakem1

Are u for real? My previous post was a joke, idk if yours also is but... C'mon!!!

It's not that unfair. On Windows 7 64bits there's 2 version of IE installed with the OS. A 32bits version and a 64bits version. Both exe share the same filename as far as i know. Very hard for Joe Blow to know which version is used and running.

It's not really MS fault as when Windows 7 was released about everything on the web was 32bits. Still might be confusing to have 2 versions of a software installed at once.

Not really, considering they show up as "Internet Explorer (64-bit)" and "Internet Explorer" in the Start Menu, how hard is it to know which one is 64-bit.

Here's how hard it is to distinguish the two:

Not difficult really, is it?

Well, is there a 64-bit version of Chrome for Windows?

No, there isn't.

Use 32bits. Wont kill u as 64bits IE will (probably).

To bad the author didn't do his research. There is a portable version of Internet Explorer, there has been since v5. I have used them, they like other portable are not supported directly. I have version 5 through version 7 that is used for testing.

Use 32bits. Wont kill u as 64bits IE will (probably).

Why bother using Chrome anyway, try uninstalling it completely, it leaves all sorts of jusk and services behind.

64-bit IE has Flash support now and Silverlight is coming so why not use the 64-bit version.

Why bother using Chrome anyway, try uninstalling it completely, it leaves all sorts of jusk and services behind.

Oh yeah? Try to remove IE and will we see you after next pc re-format :)

- Best hardware acceleration

For what ? There are no websites that demand this fully yet.

- Minimal UI

It's a very ugly ui and chrome/firefox can be more minimal.

- Native H.264 support

This isn't a problem yet.

- Energy efficient

As far as I can see, firefox 7 nightly uses less power.

- Very fast JS-engine

It's the slowest now compared to Opera, Firefox and Chrome

- Pin-to-taskbar future

One feature why I should use it, got any others possibly ?

Can anyone actually come up with a decent reason to use IE9 over other browsers ?