Weapons? What do you own?

I think I will probably end up going with a glock 36, I grew up shooting a glock 17 and have always loved them. though I might get a SIG. for a rifle I think ill end up getting a ruger 10/22 and an AR-15 somewhere down the line.

Good choices for a weapon, however, the most important part is TRAINING! When I was an active shooter, I attended John Farnams' Defense Training Internal workshops on a yearly basis. I also went to Mas Ayoobs' Lethal Force Institute for advanced training... Jonhs' training placed heavy emphasis on the how aspect of defensive shooting, while Mas was heavy on when...

Yep - training and constant practice, especially if you can find a public tactical range. Those reveal a lot of weaknesses.

They're reliable, but I don't much care for polygonal rifling so Glocks are out for me. I'm mostly a SIG guy, so my next weapon will likely be the Mk 25 SEAL clone.

Good choices for a weapon, however, the most important part is TRAINING! When I was an active shooter, I attended John Farnams' Defense Training Internal workshops on a yearly basis. I also went to Mas Ayoobs' Lethal Force Institute for advanced training... Jonhs' training placed heavy emphasis on the how aspect of defensive shooting, while Mas was heavy on when...

I haven't had really anything in formal training. In fact the most training I had was being showed the basics of an MP5 at a range. I do plan on taking classes when I get my own gun though. And I'm plan on asking my friend who is getting back from basic training soon.

They're reliable, but I don't much care for polygonal rifling so Glocks are out for me. I'm mostly a SIG guy, so my next weapon will likely be the Mk 25 SEAL clone.

what exactly is polygonal rifling?

Conventional lands & grooves rifling left, polygonal right. The L&G rifling has rectangular grooves that fully engage the bullet, while polygonal has a spiraled octogon, hexagon etc. that does not.

Polygonal_vs_normal_rifling.gif

Glock, Steyr and a few others claim a lot for polygonal including improved accuracy and a better gas seal, but IMO it doesn't bear out - the vast majority of target shooters still use L&G rifling.

I also take issue with polygonal because it makes doing forensics on fired bullets very difficult as there are no distinctive rifling marks. It also makes the use of cheap cast lead bullets by reloaders a problem as Glock warns it can cause lead deposits to accumulate. I also don't like Glocks semi-unsupported firing chambers. This improves feed reliability, but limits their ability to withstand "hot" loads.

Several guys I know replaced their stock Glock barrels with aftermarket versions to eliminate these issues. That said, if you use nothing but stock commercial loads and don't shoot a lot it's less of an issue.

well i have a bit of a time till I even have money for anything other then a cheap .22 rifle.

is it very expensive to reload .40s? actually, do you have to be 21 to buy everything for reloading? or can you be 18?

is it very expensive to reload .40s? actually, do you have to be 21 to buy everything for reloading? or can you be 18?

.40 is pretty economical compared to less popular rounds because of sales volume. Ditto for 9mm, .380 and the other commonly used shells. .45 costs a bit more just because of more materials.

For loaded cartridges similar rules apply. I pay $25 for 100 Federal 180gr Champion FMJ's (target) and $23 for 50 Federal 135gr JHP (unlabeled HST) defensive rounds at Walmart. Hard prices to beat.

Under federal law it's illegal to sell long gun (rifle or shotgun) ammunition to anyone under age 18, and handgun ammunition to anyone under age 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478. 99(b)).

Reloading supplies follow the ammo rules. Some states require age 21 for either, so check. Posession rules can vary too - here in Michigan you can't buy a pistol or pistol ammo until 21 per the Federal rules, but Michigan allows you to posess them at 18. Again, check your state law.

This 18/21 split can cause rifle owners trouble when their weapon shoots a normally pistol round. Examples of such dual-use cartridges are 9mm, .40 S&W, .44 Mag and others. Most times telling them its for a rifle will work, but not always.

Long story short - my best friends dad (who I've known since I was 11) is getting up in years and is disposing of his firearms. His kids aren't into big game, just small game, waterfowl, upland birds etc., so I'm getting one of his big bore rifles.

Given my pick, I chose his Marlin 1895 GBL in .45-70 Government. It's a classic 6-shot lever action with a big loop in the lever to fit gloves etc. The 45-70 Govt. delivers a helluva whallop and a big bullet (300-405 gr) for brush and swamp hunts. I get it in a few weels.

zoom-1895GBL.jpg

45-70_government.jpg

Samurai_Sword_.jpg

This. Wouldn't consider this a weapon though. Sure you can stab someone, but it might break if i tried to slash someone :D its good as decoration.

As for guns..dont like them. Unhonourable!

why does it not count? i have a large katana razor sharp and good weight

thats a beautiful gun Doc. I have a friend trying to sell me a lever action 45-70 govt. debating on if I should buy it or not.

What maker?

I can testify to a lever actions utility in close quarters, thickets, dense woods, swamps - they're compact, fast and reliable. The only gun close is my Ruger .44 Mag carbine. In those conditions a big, heavy bullet penetrates the shrubbery best and hits like a sledgehammer.

A few years back I bagged a 450+ lb bear with my T/C Contender 45-70 pistol (405 gr), and it dropped like a rock. Like right-NOW.

What maker?

I can testify to a lever actions utility in close quarters, thickets, dense woods, swamps - they're compact, fast and reliable. The only gun close is my Ruger .44 Mag carbine. In those conditions a big, heavy bullet penetrates the shrubbery best and hits like a sledgehammer.

A few years back I bagged a 450+ lb bear with my T/C Contender 45-70 pistol (405 gr), and it dropped like a rock. Like right-NOW.

its a Ruger 45-70. he wants 600 I guess...

Hi-Point 9mm full of hollow points.

I hate to rain on your parade, but you bought yourself a disposable.

Hipoint are cheaply made and have a high percentage of FTF. When it comes to firearms, when the word 'unreliable' comes up, hipoint is at the top of the list.

@Marshall -

Hi-Point is is a very basic & low cost firearm, but I have 2 friends who have had theirs for many years without issue. A third had a problem several years in and Hi-Point replaced the entire gun. Their lifetime no questions asked warranty is the real deal.

its a Ruger 45-70. he wants 600 I guess...

That would be the Ruger No. 1 with a falling block action - a single shot. I Googled prices and it runs $1,000 to $1,100 +/-. A fine weapon and $600 is a good deal, but still a single shot. The basic Merlin 1895 lever action 6-shot is about $600 to. $700 +/- at discounters.

Just picked up this. Not from this dealer, was just the first valid result I found with a search, but mine looks identical, sling, scope, wooden stock and all.

Savage 110, 30-06. That's a big enough round to kill any kind of big game I feel like hunting.

Linkage

That's a Savage 110 110GXP3. Savage makes a good solid rifle, and if taken care of your grandkids will still be using it. I have a couple myself, and some of my other guns were a Savage combo gun (30-30 over a 12 gauge) and a Savage Fox 20 gauge side-by-side gauge.

That's a Savage 110 110GXP3. Savage makes a good solid rifle, and if taken care of your grandkids will still be using it. I have a couple myself, and some of my other guns were a Savage combo gun (30-30 over a 12 gauge) and a Savage Fox 20 gauge side-by-side gauge.

Finally picked it up and brought it home with a box of rounds. Been a while since I actually had a rifle in the house, since moving I gave most of my stuff to my parents except my shotgun and I bought the pistols after I got here. I was shocked at just how massive a 30-06 round is. Here's a shot of the rifle and a comparison of the various rounds I have for my weapons. That's a penny in the far left to gauge by.

Edit: Also that's a 3 point sling on the bed above it that I bought in Iraq because the one supply gave me broke on me one day, so when we came back I gave them the broken one and kept the one I bought myself. I'm gonna try it out and see how it feels compared to the one that came with it.

Rifle

Round Comparison

The 30-06 is popular for a reason - it can handle a lot of jobs and is accurate for a very long range (I've bagged deer at 250+ yards)

Below is a pic of a .22, a .357 SIG (a necked-down .40 S&W), a 45-70 and a 30-06. The '06 is longer, but its case easily fits inside the 45-70's and the latter can shoot a 405 grain pill (vs. 220g). Now, imagine that beast in a handgun.

post-347280-0-72343600-1328078808.jpg

You chose VERY well - that's a sweet .22 pistol, ideal for a first handgun.

Prediction: within a year you'll be looking for a 9mm, .40 or .45 ;)

It will be a Glock or a Beretta 9mm. But the next gun I'm getting is between a AK-47, AK-74u and a AR-15. The S&W 22A is a nice gun. I love it. Doesn't really have a kick to it, but then again it's a .22 with hollowpoints. But, I do need something more powerful as a .22 isn't really stopping power, although the bullets do like the bounce around in the body (or so I have been constantly told). I'd like the Saiga, but it looks like it kicks way too much for me to really enjoy, plus it's butt ugly ;D.

Oh btw, I hate revolvers even though they are more powerful. A Desert Eagle would be a lovely gun to own, but it's too bloody expensive. I would also love to have the H&K 36G, but it's not available unless it's a Class 3, and that'd be a good $20K to get, unless you know any place that sells them.

If your needs are extreme reliability (as in dunk it in the mud, shake & fire) at close quarters then go for the AK - but it's not generally the most accurate gun in the world further out.

If you want it for longer distances the AR-15's usual 5.56 mm has really light bullets that shoot flat but don't have that much energy IMO. Might want to look at something in .308. They can really reach out and touch while still being devastating at close range.