• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 21 July 2011 - 17:11

Useful information. Thanks. :)

#17 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 July 2011 - 19:01

Since we're asking questions, any easy way to make applications launch in a new space (or automatically organise them so it's one application per space?)

I couldn't figure out how to make apps launch in a user-defined space (or Desktop, as they're now known) without actually launching it first. Once I did, though, you can secondary click on the Dock icon, go to Options -> Assign To:

Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 12.00.29 .png

The only thing I preferred in the older Spaces preferences was you could simply drag and drop app icons, without even opening them, onto whatever space you wanted. This seems impossible to do in Lion.

#18 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:45

So it seems that full screen apps go into their own desktop, sadly hovering over the desktop just takes you straight to it rather than having the opportunity to preview it, so you've just got a thumbnail to work with.

#19 allan.nyholm

allan.nyholm

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:10

Hi,

What was the conclusion and perhaps solution on using a locale like danish or dutch on the login screen despite the OS itself being in the english language? I'm seeing US English locale for the time on the login screen and I'm using a danish keyboard layout and danish metrics. The Language is set up as Denmark - Danish.

#20 Browno

Browno

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:51

Use the Maximiser app by chpwn to add Full Screen functionality to all apps, works great in Chrome - Maximiser

Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 12.50.45.png

#21 Engergetiic

Engergetiic

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:56

Since we are asking questions, is there a way to get Rosetta back on Lion? I want to be able to play the Sims Complete Collection!! :'( lol

#22 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:19

Quick Look Spotlight search results
Hover over a search result in the Spotlight menu to get a Quick Look pop-up window.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 14.08.07.png

#23 allan.nyholm

allan.nyholm

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2011 - 13:16

Here's one to figure out, how do you reorganise the finder's sidebar so you can get shared and devices above favourites as in Snow Leopard.

I haven't been able to figure this one out.. I did find out that you can drag your hard disks to the favorites section and eliminate the Devices section - Optical drives, I think, will still show up. The Computer device can't be moved up into Favorites - or can it? You try it out :)

#24 mattking

mattking

Look, he posted again!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 16:54

I haven't been able to figure this one out.. I did find out that you can drag your hard disks to the favorites section and eliminate the Devices section - Optical drives, I think, will still show up. The Computer device can't be moved up into Favorites - or can it? You try it out :)

This is pretty much the only thing I want to do to Lion.

#25 ynnoj

ynnoj

Posted 22 July 2011 - 19:11

Awesome tips. Keep 'em coming!

#26 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:31

Since we are asking questions, is there a way to get Rosetta back on Lion? I want to be able to play the Sims Complete Collection!! :'( lol

There might eventually be a way, I doubt you'll see it for 6 months though (if at all), as it'll have to be a 3rd party hack.

#27 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:15

Use the Maximiser app by chpwn to add Full Screen functionality to all apps, works great in Chrome - Maximiser

Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 12.50.45.png

Awesome, thank you! I've been checking periodically to see if Chrome and Coda have been updated LOL. This will be a good band-aid until they officially get updates.

Is there any other gesture to get 'Show Desktop'? I loved the simple four finger down swipe in SL - and since I don't use Launchpad...The default (and only) way in Lion is thumb and three finger pinch out LOL. Needless to say, doesn't work well for me.

#28 allan.nyholm

allan.nyholm

Neowinian

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:07

Hi,

What was the conclusion and perhaps solution on using a locale like danish or dutch on the login screen despite the OS itself being in the english language? I'm seeing US English locale for the time on the login screen and I'm using a danish keyboard layout and danish metrics. The Language is set up as Denmark - Danish.

Let me answer this question myself.. I'm using my own plist file which you can see is based on my location in Denmark. You can try using SE, NL or any other language code.

Some digging through the GlobalPreferences.plist I experimented by first changing the whole OS X language and dragging my language "da" on top of the "en" entry like this..

AppleLanguages

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
	<string>[b]da[/b]</string>
	<string>en</string>
	<string>ja</string>
	<string>fr</string>
	<string>de</string>
	<string>es</string>
	<string>it</string>
	<string>nl</string>
	<string>sv</string>
	<string>nb</string>
	<string>fi</string>
	<string>pl</string>
	<string>pt</string>
	<string>pt-PT</string>
	<string>ru</string>
	<string>zh-Hans</string>
	<string>zh-Hant</string>
	<string>ko</string>
</array>
</plist>

While that didn't work out how I hoped because the only thing that did for me was to change the language under the Restart, Sleep and Shut down buttons.

I changed this part of the GlobalPreferences.plist instead. From the US English locale to the Danish way of typing countries, cities.. the actual location(longitude and altitude) has been removed from this entry - while not the most clever this of me, people are not unfamiliar with the yellow pages that they can't figure it out.

com.apple.TimeZonePref.Last_Selected_City:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
	<string>xx.xxx</string>
	<string>x.xxxx</string>
	<string>0</string>
	<string>Europa/København</string>
	<string>DK</string>
	<string>Aalborg</string>
	<string>Danmark</string>
	<string>Aalborg</string>
	<string>Danmark</string>
	<string>DEPRECATED IN 10.6</string>
</array>
</plist>

My time is now 11.58 instead of 11:58 AM on my login window.

See how it works for you.. I know I'm excited about this.

BTW. the part "com.apple.preferences.timezone.selected_city" has not been tampered with.

AppleLocale is "da_DK"
Country is "DK"

#29 OP .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 23 July 2011 - 22:26

Where do I find GlobalPreferences.plist?

#30 allan.nyholm

allan.nyholm

Neowinian

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:11

Where do I find GlobalPreferences.plist?

You'll find it as a hidden file inside Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ - there's a plist.lockfile which doesn't affect the changes to the .GlobalPreferences.plist as one might fear.