20th Century Fox: Downloading FullHD movies to Android

Who wants to watch a Full HD Blu-Ray movie on a 4" smartphone screen ? Movies will be protected by Widevine DRM.

20th Century Fox to launch movies on Android phones

Twentieth Century Fox is bringing movie downloads to Google?s Android smartphone and tablet platform for the first time later this year, setting up the fast-growing operating system as a media platform to rival Apple?s digital dominance.

Buyers of Fox?s high-definition Blu-ray discs from October, starting with X-Men: First Class, will be able to download an Android-compatible digital copy of the movie from its website using their computer. This can then be ?side loaded? onto an Android phone.

The Android download service ? which Fox says is the first of its kind ? will first be made available in the US, UK, France and Germany.....

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/6b4f95ee-b2ea-11e0-86b8-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1Sivtfhdw

p.s A digital Blu-ray copy is 25-50GB :-)

1) As much as my screen is capable of HD, on that size it really doesn't matter to me.

2) I sure as hell don't have space for 25-50 gig on my phone

p.s A digital Blu-ray copy is 25-50GB :-)

No, a Digital Copy of a movie tends to be around the 2GB mark in terms of size. Also, they don't have "FullHD" resolution; according to iTunes, the movies come as 853x354.

The digital copies look decent on my iPad and I'm guessing they'll look the same on Android tablets. Personally I wouldn't bother watching an entire movie on a smartphone.

Um there are Android devices with higher than 4" screens, there are 10" honeycomb tablets out there, a few android devices have HDMI out so you could just take your phone to someone elses house and plug it into the TV.

A digital copy isnt 25-50Gb, thats how big Blu-Ray discs are if they are ripped from the disc, the digital copy will be comparable to Apple HD movies so 3-4Gb.

The OP totally misconstrued the article, and their post is written based on that.

The article actually states that Digital Copy (which Windows & Mac/iPod users have had for years) is coming to Android.

This doesn't mean it'll be 720p or 1080p. It will likely be encoded to the same resolution as current digital copies, which as stated above is closer to 480p, than it is to any high-def resolutions.

The Star Trek (2009) Blu-Ray Digital Copy appears to be 640x352, which oddly enough puts it almost dead in the middle between 1.85:1 (which is the 35mm standard) and 16:9 which is the broadcast HD standard.

which oddly enough puts it almost dead in the middle between 1.85:1 (which is the 35mm standard) and 16:9 which is the broadcast HD standard.

Quoting myself here since it wouldn't let me edit.

I wanted to clarify in this last part that I've snipped that I meant to say "and 16:9 which is the standard ratio for broadcast HD."

That makes it a bit clearer that I wasn't calling it a resolution standard.