iPhone Pre-Paid SIM in the US

Hi everyone,

I'm from Australia and I'm traveling to the US for a month, I don't want to use international roaming on my phone I would rather purchase a SIM card for my iPhone 4 when I'm over there. My phone is unlocked so no issues there, all I want to know is how easy it is to buy a pre-paid SIM for an iPhone 4 and what is the best network to go with?

I have a SIM card cutter just incase.

Also I don't know if this is under the right area of the forum.

I'm in the US now and from what I found out.

For the best coverage (and reasonable rates) you will have to go with Tmobile.

T-Mobile have the best rates but no 3G support for iPhones due to a different frequency which is unsupported by the iPhone.

AT&T as far as I know doesn't allow prepaid cards on iphones.

Thanks for your input, but this is incorrect I was able to purchase back T-Mobile and AT&T. 3G data works if you change the APN via http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

Having done what the OP wants to know I can say:

1) Pre-paid [micro] SIMcards won't activate an un-activated iPhone. But if your iPhone is activated, this shouldn't be a problem.

2) T-Mobile works great with the iPhone. If you want, some sellers will even lend you a pair of scissors so you can cut your SIMcard so it fits the micro SIMcard slot in the iPhone 4. There's no 3G, but they actually give you data on a pre-paid card at reasonable prices (US$1.50 a day last time I checked tried it).

3) At&t will sell you a pre-paid micro SIMcard for your iPhone without any hassles. They don't do data on pre-paid cards, though. They do have better voice and text pricing, on the other hand.

I've used both T-Mobile and At&t when traveling and both are fine. You just have to pick what you want: (Better prices and no cutting card) or (Data and cutting card)

Knowing this information, I'd go with T-Mobile and cut the SIMcard yourself. Not a single problem with that the last time.

Having done what the OP wants to know I can say:

1) Pre-paid [micro] SIMcards won't activate an un-activated iPhone. But if your iPhone is activated, this shouldn't be a problem.

2) T-Mobile works great with the iPhone. If you want, some sellers will even lend you a pair of scissors so you can cut your SIMcard so it fits the micro SIMcard slot in the iPhone 4. There's no 3G, but they actually give you data on a pre-paid card at reasonable prices (US$1.50 a day last time I checked tried it).

3) At&t will sell you a pre-paid micro SIMcard for your iPhone without any hassles. They don't do data on pre-paid cards, though. They do have better voice and text pricing, on the other hand.

I've used both T-Mobile and At&t when traveling and both are fine. You just have to pick what you want: (Better prices and no cutting card) or (Data and cutting card)

Knowing this information, I'd go with T-Mobile and cut the SIMcard yourself. Not a single problem with that the last time.

Just so you know this is incorrect you can get AT&T data and it works with 3G, also you don't need to cut any of the SIM's they will sell you microsim's.

Thanks for your input though. I've gone T-Mobile and my Sister went AT&T as T-Mobile I can call landlines in Australia and text internationally for free and AT&T can text internationally for free and gets 3G seems for maps. Best of both worlds.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Just get H20 Wireless. They Use AT&T and you can get 30 days of service (unlimited EVERYTHING - yes including DATA) for $60. Then just cut the SIM and offf you go. Since they use AT&T's network you'll get basically the same coverage as AT&T (NO roaming) so you'll have to see if you'll be able to get signal where you are staying. They also offer $20 wworth of international calling so if you want to call australia, you get like 12hrs or something! :D Oh and yes, unlimited international texting!

(no i don't work for H2o, i use them as my service provider however :D)

Just so you know this is incorrect you can get AT&T data and it works with 3G, also you don't need to cut any of the SIM's they will sell you microsim's.

In May of this year I went to the USA and in Boulder, CO an At&t sales representative said they didn't offer data plans with pre-paid (no-contract) cards, only SMS and voice. That's where my information came from.

I also said At&t DOES offer micro-SIMcards. T-Mobile was the one that didn't offer micro-SIMcards (at least at the time).