Which is the most Elegant / Ugliest Mobile OS?

Smartphone OS only.  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Most Elegant?

• Windows Phone 7
    • iOS
    • Android
    • Blackberry OS
    • WebOS
    • Symbian
    • Meego
  2. 2. Most Ugly?

• Windows Phone 7
    • iOS
    • Android
    • Blackberry OS
    • WebOS
    • Symbian
    • Meego

For me, Android is the most elegant. The ability to customise the UI to my personal preferance and it still looks great means for me it beats the others without breaking a sweat.

Symbian just looks like a dumb down vesion of iOS which to me is just poor at best. iOS is so messy to me that I wouldnt touch it.

I love WP7. It's fast, clean and does exactly what it says it does.

Android is great. I have a tablet that runs it well and I'm quite enamoured with it except for it's lack of a side scroll (like WP7 tableau interface).

iOS just feels dated to me :\ I know that people are going to hate me saying it, but it just feel clunky and old..

I kinda like Blackberry's interface. It looks quite cool, but I wouldn't touch it >.<

Meego looks like it could be awesome, but it's just tooooo late to compete.

The prettiest award goes to WP7 for me.

Android on it's own looks fairly okay, but most of the applications are bitch ass ugly, which makes the platform a bit less appealing.

iOS is so-so. A lot of effort has been made to make it look consistent, and that's great. Gloss on everything is just not necessarily my taste.

WP7 is the most elegant, hands down. It may be largely related to Windows market share but Microsoft usually nails the GUI sweet spot and then somehow half of the world goes after them.

Stock Android is not a pretty sight but it has a huge capabilities to tweak it beyong recognition.

iOS, on the other hand... is just a shiny dud. Well, maybe iHate is clouding my judgement, but I don't like it one bit.

Symbian might be next but then again - it's well suited for devices that are not meant to be a bling.

I love WP7. It's fast, clean and does exactly what it says it does.

Android is great. I have a tablet that runs it well and I'm quite enamoured with it except for it's lack of a side scroll (like WP7 tableau interface).

iOS just feels dated to me :\ I know that people are going to hate me saying it, but it just feel clunky and old..

- - - - - - -

Indeed.

I'm sorry, Cupertino, but Microsoft has nailed it. Windows Phone 7 feels like an iPhone from the future. The UI has the simplicity and elegance of Apple's industrial design, while the iPhone's UI still feels like a colorized Palm Pilot.

This is Gizmodo in Feb 2010.

And here's is editor-in-chief of PhoneDog.com

Windows Phone 7 UI makes iPhone look like a dinosaur.

wp7 the most elegant!

and Meego is seriously pretty!

the icons are cute and colorful. Its all really nice. and neat!.

it feels kind of like a refined iOS look. and the rest of the OS isnt bad either. From a design point of view. The performance or experience will be different. And i cant comment on that because the device isnt out yet.

iOS looks outdated. But thats my opinion. From a design POV iOS is very consistent. And it is functional and very simple and contained.

Android is Android. Customize it the way you want. But the basic experience is nothing special from a design POV.

rest is crap..

Blackberry and all.. but the design is sure functional. if not pretty.

And one more thing.

If WP7 allow custom tile and background color. The UI will take another huge step forward in terms of customization and i will place it 10 steps above where i place it now. thats at the 1st spot.

Based solely on those screenshots, I actually think that Blackberry OS is the most elegant. It has all the core smartphone functions right on the "desktop", and the use of transparency makes it look very nice.

My ugliest nomination goes to Symbian, which basically just looks like a cheap knockoff of other smartphone OS's. If Symbian were excluded, I'd probably actually say that iOS is the ugliest, although that's not to say that it's ugly. It's a nice looking OS, but I think it's actually starting to look a bit dated compared to the competition.

Also this poll needs a correction.

Meego shouldnt be with Symbian.

Its very different.

Symbian is crap!.. Meego is far from it.

Place Meego as a different choice.

Some info about the screenshot I put together.

Android: Nexus S

iOS: iPhone 4

BBOS: Blacberry Torch

WebOS: HP Palm Pre 3

And the last one is Meego's Nokia N9(this wouldn't be a fair picture since it has a unique interface which revolves around three screens; Notifcations | Multitasking | Apps. Their is no "Home screen" as such. And I have shown a App page above. For more http://swipe.nokia.com/)

And WP7 as you all know, are all the same.

Its very different.

Would this reset the answers some people have choosen?

Maybe I should remove Meego since their has only been a, one known device( Nokia N9). And a lot more people would be familiar with Symbian in smartphones.

Based solely on those screenshots, I actually think that Blackberry OS is the most elegant. It has all the core smartphone functions right on the "desktop", and the use of transparency makes it look very nice.

Hmmm.... What "core smartphone functions" does Blackberry OS have on "desktop" that WP7 doesn't?

Its very different.

Looks like Symbian Anna to me. Is there any difference?

big difference.

Symbian Anna is really different.

and Symbians before Anna are so so bad!..

So the symbian line is pretty much different from Meego.

Meego is very fluid compared to Symbian. Its named differently for a reason.

yea exactly.

cant u add another?

and rename this to Symbian as people are replying to it as symbian.

Uh-oh, too late. The poll has been locked, can't it edit it anymore. Though I can still edit the original post. tongue.gif