Galaxy Tab 10.1 permanently banned in Germany

A German court has weighed in on Apple's seemingly interminable patent battle against Samsung, and it isn't looking good for Galaxy Tab users. In a ruling issued today, a D?sseldorf Higher Regional Court upheld last month's preliminary injunction, banning the sale of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 within Germany. Citing the slate's "minimalist, modern form," presiding judge Johanna Brueckner-Hoffmann determined that Samsung's tablet bears a "clear impression of similarity" with the iPad 2, thereby meriting a nationwide ban. "The court is of the opinion that Apple's minimalistic design isn't the only technical solution to make a tablet computer," Brueckner-Hoffmann explained, "other designs are possible." Earlier this week, as you may recall, Apple won a separate injunction against the Galaxy Tab 7.7 in D?sseldorf, though Samsung can still appeal that decision in a lower court. The court stopped short, however, of calling for an EU-wide injunction against the 10.1-inch slate, arguing that "it could only be competent to order a Europe-wide ban for a firm headquartered outside the European Union if this firm has a German subsidiary." Samsung, meanwhile, plans to appeal the ruling in a higher court, with a company spokesman issuing a now all-too familiar statement: "We are disappointed with this ruling and believe it severely limits consumer choice in Germany."

Sources:

Link

Link

Link

"The court is of the opinion that Apple's minimalistic design isn't the only technical solution to make a tablet computer," Brueckner-Hoffmann explained, "other designs are possible."

That is absolutely retarded. So basically any minimalistic design is now off limits because of Apple? Give me a break. This is beyond retarded.

"The court is of the opinion that Apple's minimalistic design isn't the only technical solution to make a tablet computer," Brueckner-Hoffmann explained, "other designs are possible."

That is absolutely retarded. So basically any minimalistic design is now off limits because of Apple? Give me a break. This is beyond retarded.

Yeah, I suggest a star shaped design.

LOLGermans.

Clearly Samsung should make their tablet cluttered, triangular, and bright pink with polka dots, amirite?

There's no point in denying that Samsung's idea for the Galaxy Tab is for the fully 100% build around the iPad. Hell, the company even sent their initial Galaxy Tab 10.1 back to the drawing board when Apple released the iPad 2 and saw that their own design couldn't compete. That alone says more than enough if you'd ask me.

There's no point in denying that Samsung's idea for the Galaxy Tab is for the fully 100% build around the iPad. Hell, the company even sent their initial Galaxy Tab 10.1 back to the drawing board when Apple released the iPad 2 and saw that their own design couldn't compete. That alone says more than enough if you'd ask me.

And how exactly the ipad 2 design is much different than the first ipad.

And how exactly the ipad 2 design is much different than the first ipad.

Last time I checked the first iPad was made by Apple too... Beyond that it's twice as fast, thinner, better graphics etc. Apparently Samsung's initial design couldn't compete with that. This isn't a secret or anything, there was a whole article about it posted right here on Neowin's front page...

Last time I checked the first iPad was made by Apple too...

You implied that samsung waited that apple release the ipad 2, to revise the design of its galaxy tab 10.1 . This would mean that the "design" ( and I'm not talking of the features) of the ipad 2 is fundamentally different to the ipad 1, which I don't think it's the case.

Glad other countries are actually looking further into this than on plane looks alone. Like the USand UK. They want Apple sales and profit numbers in order to determine if people are getting other products confused with Apple.

The company that I worked for ordered about 1k+ of the Galaxy Tabs. Turns out that the apps they need are more effective on Android rather than iOS.